Best way to store/load/unload camper? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 07:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 35661
Best way to store/load/unload camper?

I just scored a cabover/slide in camper for a good deal. Now Im trying to figure out the best way to unload/load/store. It I have a 96 dodge 3/4, lifted w/ 35's. It has jacks, but arent long enough. So I was curious to see what others have done for a solution.
Thanks
Old 08-13-2009, 07:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 35661
And where is the best place to buy airbags?
Old 08-13-2009, 09:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6704
Quote:
Originally Posted by assman View Post
I just scored a cabover/slide in camper for a good deal. Now Im trying to figure out the best way to unload/load/store. It I have a 96 dodge 3/4, lifted w/ 35's. It has jacks, but arent long enough. So I was curious to see what others have done for a solution.
Thanks
Remove the lift and install smaller wheels and tires on the truck.
KC0UIC
-.- -.-. ----- ..- .. -.-.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Last edited by Mechanos; 08-13-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Mechanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
Or put blocks under the jacks.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 5918
Blocks are a good idea. If you can't lift to the current height, you'll want to use taller blocks.. In my experience when your get the jacks to the tallest height they are the least stable. I used to use almost a 1 foot of blocking underneath my camper jacks. Not that I needed it but it was more stable with more of the inner and outer tubes on the jack overlapping.

As for storage you generally want to support the camper as it was designed to be carried by placing it on something that supports the bottom. I lower mine almost to the ground to keep it stable (winds/snow) and support it on three sets of "saw horses". These are only about 16" tall. I also take them with me when doing long trips and usually offload the camper so I can have my truck free to do whatever. It can be a pain but worth it to have the wife happy with mobility. I also usually stabilize the unit with the jacks when stored or off the vehicle as an added measure.

A tip I've seen on some other boards is to fasten some "guide flags" to the base of your camper. the flags or poles basically are mounted along the base of your camper (front to back oreintation) and can be extended out and into your pick-up bed. If mounted freely enough they should get pushed back under your camper as you back in. Why? it helps you ensure you are lined up properly and that you back in straight. Much easier. Yes, once you get the hang of it you won't use them but for learning it helps.

The other thing is try your best to park/store/load in a flat area that is large enough that you can back straight under the camper. I've had driveways that had slopes and turns and what not. Yes it can be done but if you have options and can select a flat spot that is big enough for your truck and camper to co-exist longitudinally you will be less frustrated.

I've had TC's for about 7 years now and anything you can do to make the off-on-off experience easier, faster and consistent is worthwhile.

Last edited by dumb; 08-13-2009 at 10:34 AM.
dumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 20276
Had acouple buds built longer legs for them. But you need to be able to pin them together. But they do get alittle swayie at times. But they lower it to bases they build. And find you a good tarp to put over it. Keeping them out of the weather helps alot.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 17632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanos View Post
Remove the lift and install smaller wheels and tires on the truck.
X2

Just make sure it is square in the truck and the front bumpers are both touching the front rail of the bed. This helps in keeping it from wiggling around.

For storage, I lower my pop-up onto a dolly and put it in the garage. What I lose in interior storage by having a pop-up, I gain in camper storage
Travis..

Last edited by crashnzuk; 08-13-2009 at 04:46 PM.
crashnzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 53596
Send a message via MSN to PhantomEB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
Blocks are a good idea. If you can't lift to the current height, you'll want to use taller blocks.. In my experience when your get the jacks to the tallest height they are the least stable. I used to use almost a 1 foot of blocking underneath my camper jacks. Not that I needed it but it was more stable with more of the inner and outer tubes on the jack overlapping.

As for storage you generally want to support the camper as it was designed to be carried by placing it on something that supports the bottom. I lower mine almost to the ground to keep it stable (winds/snow) and support it on three sets of "saw horses". These are only about 16" tall. I also take them with me when doing long trips and usually offload the camper so I can have my truck free to do whatever. It can be a pain but worth it to have the wife happy with mobility. I also usually stabilize the unit with the jacks when stored or off the vehicle as an added measure.

A tip I've seen on some other boards is to fasten some "guide flags" to the base of your camper. the flags or poles basically are mounted along the base of your camper (front to back oreintation) and can be extended out and into your pick-up bed. If mounted freely enough they should get pushed back under your camper as you back in. Why? it helps you ensure you are lined up properly and that you back in straight. Much easier. Yes, once you get the hang of it you won't use them but for learning it helps.

The other thing is try your best to park/store/load in a flat area that is large enough that you can back straight under the camper. I've had driveways that had slopes and turns and what not. Yes it can be done but if you have options and can select a flat spot that is big enough for your truck and camper to co-exist longitudinally you will be less frustrated.

I've had TC's for about 7 years now and anything you can do to make the off-on-off experience easier, faster and consistent is worthwhile.
All this times two!

Unfortunately the only spot I could put my TC was beside the garage which is fairly flat but has a good foot and half incline up from the back lane.

Been a learnin curve for sure so sure curious on this flag deal? One thing my bud has done is loaded the camper ONCE properly then painted little boxes where his lift blocks go and boxes where his tires should be spotted for proper alignment of the TC in truck box if its all said and done properly in theory.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 95847
Truck Camper

I store mine on a platform made from ply and 2x's with the legs touching ground to spread weight and add stability. Now get campy.
Try this link tons of info.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/15942004.cfm
pdouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 14612
Change to this jack system and all of the camper loading and starage issues are gone! I have had this system since 1994 without any issue! Check out the videos on this site:
http://www.stablelift.com/
Roger in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130003
My dad used to borrow one of my pickup box trailers to store his camper in the winter. (he was lucky enough to have inside storage). One winter he borrowed my trailer with coil springs, he said it wasn't a ride, it was a narrow escape!
Don't build pickup box trailers with coil spring pickups, they suck !!
Harold Phipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 35661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger in AZ View Post
Change to this jack system and all of the camper loading and starage issues are gone! I have had this system since 1994 without any issue! Check out the videos on this site:
http://www.stablelift.com/
Ive seen those before, they are nice. But I cant bring my self to spend over 2 X's as much on it than I did the camper. Just doesnt make much sense to me.

I used it for the first time 2 weeks ago. Everything went smooth. I was reading all of the horror stories and was overthinking it. For storage I built 2 solid saw horses and split the weight between the jacks and them. Works great and is stable.