WD Hitch - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 06:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 85104
WD Hitch

I am looking at a Reese Strait Line WD Hitch (1,200/12,000)

Who has one of these Reese WD Hitches? Do you like it?

What are some of the pros and cons with going with a WD Hitch vs. Regular hitch?
drewguere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Evil Twin

Member # 10695
Send a message via AIM to yager
search been discussed before....

Straight Line w/ dual cam sway control, Love it.

Makes a small/light or short truck tow like a champ.. I run 800# bars with ~1200-1500 overall TW. I pull 22' with 135" WB G3500 van, makes it tow great + put some weight on the van. Van is only ~5500# empty and the loaded trailer is more, so it allows me to put ~1000# onto the van (via the ball/hitch/bars).

Pro - transfer more weight onto front of tow rig. No sway.
Con - 30min for initial setup. Ummm need big socket to tighten bolts? Cost?

possibly explain why you are considering one...

Also, buy a tongue scale so you can get your tongue weight then mark off your trailer where your high/low points are..
2006 Ford e450-RV/Ambulance
Stroke - Coumadin(warfarin) - INR - Heart Valve - Ask me (true story)
yager is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 58117
If your tow rig is anything that is smaller than a 3/4 ton truck, you will love the WD hitch..... worth its weight in Gold!!
Little Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 5371
Send a message via MSN to rockota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jeep View Post
If your tow rig is anything that is smaller than a 3/4 ton truck, you will love the WD hitch..... worth its weight in Gold!!
this!
rockota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 85104
Ive wanted to go with one for a while, but never really NEEDED one.

Ive got a chance to get one for a good deal on CL.

Ive heard stories about it wanting to pick up the rear tires of the truck if your getting into non even roads.

Also, I need to back my trailer into tight spaces alot, which requires me to just about jackknife it getting it in there. Having the WD hitch, and sway control, is it still possible to turn it sharply like this?

EDIT: Its going on my 3/4 ton GMC, I dont overload the truck often, but I have gotten close to its max, and I think I would feel more comfortable with sway control and WD

Last edited by drewguere; 09-16-2009 at 04:41 AM.
drewguere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 77812
Send a message via Yahoo to ron86toy
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewguere View Post

Ive heard stories about it wanting to pick up the rear tires of the truck if your getting into non even roads.
just need it set up right.......I have mine set so the rear of the truck drops about 2" from (empty) ride height(dodge 2500)...the distribution bars should be level with the tongue of the trailer....if you have a heavier load than usual just go another link on the chain

When I go to the local park 30 minutes away...I dont use the bars or sway control(26 ft enclosed).....but it makes a world of difference with it out on the highway with crosswinds or passing semi's
ron86toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Evil Twin

Member # 10695
Send a message via AIM to yager
I usually load/unload in the street and do all my maeuvering without the bars on. My tongue is pulled out an extra 12" so I can knife it way over past 90 and with the bars installed they hit anything past say 80deg. It takes 30secs to unclip the pins an unload them... I have a V shaped alum tonge box that i toss all the pieces into.

It looks complicated but its really not.

Bottom line you need to HAVE the tonge weight in the first place before you can re-distribute it to the tow rig.

If your worried about lifting the rear tires its becasue you don't have enough tonge weight in the first place. This is easy for us to fix by simply rolling your rig up 6-10". But this can be a problem with a camper where you can't easily move several hundred pounds. (and IMHO where much of the bad advice comes)
2006 Ford e450-RV/Ambulance
Stroke - Coumadin(warfarin) - INR - Heart Valve - Ask me (true story)
yager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 76684
Now, please don't take this as dogging WD hitches, I'm not, they definitely have their uses.

The first thing (which I would assume somebody on here is doing) is to have proper loading in the first place. It's amazing how many people think they are a bandaid for piss poor loading.

I can't count how many people have came up and asked me how in the hell I could be pulling 7k+ with my half ton without one...and I have zero issues doing so, up to 10k#'s.

These same people have vehicles or loads positioned on their trailer so horribly it scares me to think what would happen if one little piece of their wd hitch failed.

Again, probably not worth much on this board, and seeing as how you're getting to your limit, I definitely understand wanting one, just putting it out there for others.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 45512
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissancrawler View Post
Now, please don't take this as dogging WD hitches, I'm not, they definitely have their uses.

The first thing (which I would assume somebody on here is doing) is to have proper loading in the first place. It's amazing how many people think they are a bandaid for piss poor loading.

I can't count how many people have came up and asked me how in the hell I could be pulling 7k+ with my half ton without one...and I have zero issues doing so, up to 10k#'s.

These same people have vehicles or loads positioned on their trailer so horribly it scares me to think what would happen if one little piece of their wd hitch failed.

Again, probably not worth much on this board, and seeing as how you're getting to your limit, I definitely understand wanting one, just putting it out there for others.

I agree with you but I'm guessing some trailers just aren't big enough to get it just right. My trailer wags if the hitch is too lightly loaded, the truck needs some weight. I can adjust by moving the Jeep, some may need the WD hitch to accomplish this.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkes View Post
I agree with you but I'm guessing some trailers just aren't big enough to get it just right. My trailer wags if the hitch is too lightly loaded, the truck needs some weight. I can adjust by moving the Jeep, some may need the WD hitch to accomplish this.
All trailers can be loaded right - IF - the operator cares to do it or is aware of how to properly tow a trailer.
Travis Waldher is online now   Reply With Quote