Tire Review: Goodyear Wrangler Authority - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 10:06 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 11921
Load range E is known as 10 ply. The tire itself has either 2 or 3 side wall plys and 4 or 5 tread plys.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:00 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 46828
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramv View Post
Load range E is known as 10 ply. The tire itself has either 2 or 3 side wall plys and 4 or 5 tread plys.
Actually...
Tread: 6 ply
Sidewall: 2 ply

Here is the response I got from Goodyear when I asked about the tires:

Quote:
Sent by: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Consumer Relations 728 1144 East
Market Street Akron, OH 44316 Voice #: 800.321.2136 Fax #:

Dear Chris,

Thank you for contacting our web site and for thinking of Wrangler
Authority A/T tires for your vehicles tire needs.

The Wrangler Authority A/T is what we refer to as a "co-brand" tire. It is
manufactured exclusively for Wal Mart and its subsidiaries. It is
marketed, sold, and warranted solely by Wal Mart. The tires on our web
site are the "broad market" tires that can be found at all authorized
Goodyear retailers.

For additional information about the Wrangler Authority A/T please contact
your nearest Wal Mart automotive service center or their Customer
Assistance Center at (800)925-6278.

Sincerely,
Sue Lemmon
Consumer Relations
azredliner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #28 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 49595
Quote:
Load range E means 10ply rated... Alot of 10ply rated tires dont have 10 plys. I assume this is due to better material and construction then back in teh day whemn they attached ply rating to load ratings...
RSWORDS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #29 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 49595
Quote:
Originally Posted by azredliner View Post
That tire has been spun on gravel, or rocks. Tires don't just get like that. In the images you can see what tires were front and which were rear. Someone spun those rears. Those siping grooves are probably packed with sand, that's why they are spread open.

I have a set of Authorities on my 1987 4Runner and they drive beautiful on road and off.

Now, I don't run my 4Runner through the Rubicon, or anything like that, but I do take it to it's limits. The tires are holding up fine and I keep them aired down to 22 PSI. I can let go of the wheel at 70 and it goes straight as an arrow.

Now about the plies. The guy at Wal-Mart told me they had 2 plies. RSWORDS said "10 ply". Can anyone confirm the ply?
I can tell you these were not spun, they were driven. Like every other tire I've had on this truck. Unless someone came and took the truck in the middle of the night... Did burn outs, and brought it back I dont know how else it would happen. I trully think that the TQ of the diesel is what did them in. Not spinning them but eating them up under load.

As I said in my 1st post, I think these would work well on a lighter truck and from what you say that is true. My cummins weighs in just a tad over your 4runner...

Last edited by RSWORDS; 01-06-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:52 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 9615
To add to this post I've been running the Goodyear Territory tires from crappy tire for the last five months. The ones I have are 235/85R16, studded, and mounted on 6.5x16 steel wheels on my 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban. They are a touch noisy but I think that is mostly the studs. The truck feels very stable under all conditions and the level of grip on ice and snow is fantastic. I can add a bit of power in a corner and drift the rear out in a very predicable way, as soon as I let up the power a bit the rear snaps right back in line with no hint of getting away from me. I've been on hills where it was so icy that all the other traffic was piled up like drift wood at the bottom and these tires just let me drive around them and up the hill with no tire spin. In short, for a winter tire I love them. I'm tempted to get another set without studs for the summer season.
western110 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 46828
I bought mine on New Years day (01-01-2010) and have almost 3000 miles on them. Miles are about 60% highway/Street and 40% off-road.
Still looking good (except for some rubbage spots from contacting the fenders).
This picture was just taken this morning:

Been to Broken Arrow Trail in Sedona, AZ:

And other places...

Still running smooth!
Old 02-23-2010, 11:55 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Quote:
Bet the QC is worse on the Wally World tires. The trailer tires came apart like no ones business, yet my old worn out truck tires seem to hold fine.

I wouldn't condone buying these tires for full price, as the Duratrac is almost the same and Walmart sucks to deal with, but if you get a smoking deal, or stumble on them like I did, I don't have anything bad to say. (and I have a lot of bad things to say about tires, like Iroks to start with...)
are you saying you run vehicle tires on your trailer?dont worry i do too
Old 07-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 164603
i have goodyear authorities on my truck and have many miles on them from indiana to new york also bought at wal-mart and havent noticed any wanderin or the tired seperating at all i dont know whats up with the ones you have but have you searched for recalls on the tires ive even barked em a few times and still just like new no troubles and as for 185 i got mine for 135

Last edited by wrestlinkid; 07-19-2010 at 07:01 PM.
wrestlinkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 10:09 PM   #34 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 86086
Send a message via AIM to three60fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlinkid View Post
i have goodyear authorities on my truck and have many miles on them from indiana to new york also bought at wal-mart and havent noticed any wanderin or the tired seperating at all i dont know whats up with the ones you have but have you searched for recalls on the tires ive even barked em a few times and still just like new no troubles and as for 185 i got mine for 135

Dude, perhaps you'd like to enlighten us as to the truck you are using them on.....since....if you read......the OP stated specifically that he thought perhaps his Cummins truck was the reason and most everyone else that has defended the tires has been driving a lighter duty truck...

1995 Dodge Ram V10....infinitely broken

Several Trail 90's....Word to the Honda horizontals!
three60fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 06:15 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 46828
Quote:
Originally Posted by three60fish View Post
...the OP stated specifically that he thought perhaps his Cummins truck was the reason and most everyone else that has defended the tires has been driving a lighter duty truck...
I saw a guy servicing gas pumps at a Chevron gas station and on his service truck (a full sized Duramax Chevy 4X4 with a service bed full of tools and parts) he was running the Goodyear Wrangler Authorities and I asked him how he liked them, he said he had about 30,000 miles on them and had no problems and that he liked them a lot.

Maybe OP should trade the Dodge in for a Chevy!
Old 07-20-2010, 11:35 PM   #36 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 86086
Quote:
I saw a guy servicing gas pumps at a Chevron gas station and on his service truck (a full sized Duramax Chevy 4X4 with a service bed full of tools and parts) he was running the Goodyear Wrangler Authorities and I asked him how he liked them, he said he had about 30,000 miles on them and had no problems and that he liked them a lot.

Maybe OP should trade the Dodge in for a Chevy!

Nah, that's just cuz them there Chebbys are prissy little trucks that tiptoe around like some stupid sorority slut in heels barhoppin.......That Cummins Mopar puts a hurtin on those meats like the Deuchamax can only dream of

Old 07-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 46828
Quote:
That Cummins Mopar puts a hurtin on those meats like the Deuchamax can only dream of
I seen a motorhome that was stuck and a Dodge Cummins tried to pull it out and did not move it an inch. I hooked up my Toyota (in 4X4) with the Dodge and neither of us budged motorhome. A guy came with a 2007 Chevy Duramax 4X4 and pulled the motorhome out, by himself, in 4X2 and didn't spin a tire!
Old 07-22-2010, 05:58 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 164603
Quote:
Nah, that's just cuz them there Chebbys are prissy little trucks that tiptoe around like some stupid sorority slut in heels barhoppin.......That Cummins Mopar puts a hurtin on those meats like the Deuchamax can only dream of
yea the new pissy duramaxes have some 700ft/lbs of torque real pissy and chevys are still domestic unlike the FIAT!!!! you are comparing them to
wrestlinkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #39 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 77901
I bought the Goodyear Wrangler Authorities in a 265/75/16, 10 ply rating for my 1999 F-250 Supercab/longbed 4x4 Powerstroke.

I only have a couple thousand miles on them so far, but I like them. I'm not having the separating of the siping like the OP did. There is a gap SLIGHTLY larger than what the tires came with, but I think that is to be expected, plus I have a heavy foot when taking off from a stop, etc. and I've had them on quite a bit of gravel. They ride nice and are not noisy.

I have had a little bit of sway, especially at highway speeds. I have 50 lbs. in the front and 60 lbs. in the rear right now. I've been meaning to bump the fronts to 55 or 60 lbs to see if that helps things. Overall though, I like them alot so far. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do in the snow/ice/mud this winter.

I'll try to remember to report back once I have some miles racked up and/or this winter once we have some good weather.

Last edited by JHALL; 07-22-2010 at 07:47 PM.
JHALL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2010, 07:58 PM   #40 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 86086
Quote:
I seen a motorhome that was stuck and a Dodge Cummins tried to pull it out and did not move it an inch. I hooked up my Toyota (in 4X4) with the Dodge and neither of us budged motorhome. A guy came with a 2007 Chevy Duramax 4X4 and pulled the motorhome out, by himself, in 4X2 and didn't spin a tire!
Not trying to start a pissing match, just saying.....there are so many variables to that situation that you cannot begin to make that argument
ie:
What year was the Cummins truck?
Tires?
Daully or single wheel?
Rearend ratios?
Weight in the beds?
Positioning of the trucks/lengths of straps/chains?
etc etc etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlinkid View Post
yea the new pissy duramaxes have some 700ft/lbs of torque real pissy and chevys are still domestic unlike the FIAT!!!! you are comparing them to
Didn't say they were lacking torque numbers.....Besides, the duramax engine family was a joint venture between Isuzu and GM; just so you know, Isuzu is a Japanese company. So your domestic argument is straight stupid. Besides, Cummins has been making Diesel engines since 1919......Isuzu wasn't even started until 1937 and only began producing the Duramax motors with GM in the last decade. Again, I didn't say the truck was lacking power, I merely made a blatantly facetious comment. You still didn't answer my question as to what truck you had these tires on??

Old 07-27-2010, 04:57 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 46828
Quote:
Not trying to start a pissing match...
Why not?
Old 07-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #42 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 49595
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHALL View Post
I bought the Goodyear Wrangler Authorities in a 265/75/16, 10 ply rating for my 1999 F-250 Supercab/longbed 4x4 Powerstroke.

I only have a couple thousand miles on them so far, but I like them. I'm not having the separating of the siping like the OP did. There is a gap SLIGHTLY larger than what the tires came with, but I think that is to be expected, plus I have a heavy foot when taking off from a stop, etc. and I've had them on quite a bit of gravel. They ride nice and are not noisy.

I have had a little bit of sway, especially at highway speeds. I have 50 lbs. in the front and 60 lbs. in the rear right now. I've been meaning to bump the fronts to 55 or 60 lbs to see if that helps things. Overall though, I like them alot so far. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do in the snow/ice/mud this winter.

I'll try to remember to report back once I have some miles racked up and/or this winter once we have some good weather.
I'm glad they are working out good for some of y'all, I might have got a shitty set or a shitty installer. All I know is that the BFG A/T's they replaced them with are 10x better feeling to me.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #43 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 49595
Quote:
Dude, perhaps you'd like to enlighten us as to the truck you are using them on.....since....if you read......the OP stated specifically that he thought perhaps his Cummins truck was the reason and most everyone else that has defended the tires has been driving a lighter duty truck...
I believe 100% that the weight of my truck is what gave me the ill effects. I also stated I would love to try them on my 1/2 ton truck. But others with 3/4 ton diesels are having luck so who knows....
Old 11-30-2010, 03:30 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 93732
Bringing this back up for updates.

Thinking about getting them for my '99 WJ, seems like I'll be ok, just wanted to see if there were any updates.

Thanks.
Chili Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 176161
I just bought a set of Authorities 265/75/16 for my Chevy 2500HD with a 6.0. Had them put on Saturday morning, took the goofballs at wally world 3 1/2 hrs. Was told it was because i have twice as many lugs as a "standard" vehicle. Anyway, I put 500 miles on them between Sat and this morning and I noticed a big difference over the Wrangler RT/S that were on the truck and blew out! I think and have read that because that are such a high tread (19/32) tire is why they feel so much different. For an MT they handle great on the road at illinois/indiana highway speeds. I was hoping to test them in some snow, but unfortunately it missed us. I will try to keep posted.
CHEVYKID74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 04:18 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 33623
My Dodge CTD 2500 six speed does that to every tire I put on it. I have a heave limited slip in the rear. That thing chew up tires if I do a lot of tight turns on dry ground. It also will wander if the tires are low.

You may have the same problem as I do. But when in dirt or snow it kicks ass.

And I pulled a Chevy and a ford that had there trailers hooked to them out of there drive way and still got 80MPG and in one wheel drive on the fifth week of the month.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 182246
Goodyear Wrangler Authority Tires

I own an 06 F-250 Diesel and have had the same problems with these tires. Definately the worst ride I've ever experienced on a set of tires. My truck shakes so badly with these tires that it's driving me crazy! I purchased them about 3 months ago from Wal Mart and have been unhappy with them since the day I got them. I took my truck back to Wal Mart the other day and the tech was persistant to tell me there was a problem with my suspension that was causing the shaking, and it was not from the tires. I told him that the terrible ride started the day I put the tires on. I might as well have been talking to a wall. My question is, how did you convince Wal Mart to get you a new set of BFG all-terrains as I had those on previously as well and would MUCH rather have those back on my truck but I'm not coughing up the money for them as I just spent nearly $900 on the Goodyears. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm not sure how much moer shaking my brain can take on these AWEFUL tires. Thank you.
aboykin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #48 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 77901
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboykin View Post
I own an 06 F-250 Diesel and have had the same problems with these tires. Definately the worst ride I've ever experienced on a set of tires. My truck shakes so badly with these tires that it's driving me crazy! I purchased them about 3 months ago from Wal Mart and have been unhappy with them since the day I got them. I took my truck back to Wal Mart the other day and the tech was persistant to tell me there was a problem with my suspension that was causing the shaking, and it was not from the tires. I told him that the terrible ride started the day I put the tires on. I might as well have been talking to a wall. My question is, how did you convince Wal Mart to get you a new set of BFG all-terrains as I had those on previously as well and would MUCH rather have those back on my truck but I'm not coughing up the money for them as I just spent nearly $900 on the Goodyears. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm not sure how much moer shaking my brain can take on these AWEFUL tires. Thank you.
Sorry to hear they haven't worked for you. I have a 1999 F250 diesel and have had them on for approx. 10,000-15,000 miles. They are showing minimal wear and I've rotated them once. They've held their own in the several snow and ice storms we've had, the most recent being 8"+.

I don't really have any complaints with them, but don't know if I would buy them again for the simple fact of their being several reports (on here alone) of the issues you have with them.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 133845
I like my Wrangler Authorty's

I have these tires on my 91 F150. They are 31 10.50 15s. I have a bit of wander, but not bad. I deal with it because I can drive in 2 to 4 inches of snow before I have to put it in 4x4. I have about a grand on them and have noticed no signifcant defects. I have taken it up mountain trails in the snow, and passed people who were stuck with BFG's and Peerless Tires. I went about 2 miles further than they did before I couldn't move forward any more. But reverse got me right out. No Problems. These tires stick. And the snow and mud cleans out of them very easily. Runs like a good mud tire in the mud and better than a snow tire in the snow. And considering I got them for under $600.00 mounted with the road hazard. I am just waiting for one to pop so I can get another one for free.

This is about a week or so ago. Snow packed roads. The tracks in front of me were from snow mobiles. No one had the balls to go up past here but me. I made it another mile and a half before I couldn't go any further.

Last edited by jbielenda; 02-25-2011 at 01:00 PM. Reason: add photo
jbielenda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 185216
If the tires are low in air they are hard to control. I run 65lbs of air in mine and have the Range E which are 10ply on my 04 Ram 2500 and they run really good on open road and are not noisey or ruff riding but at about 80mph they do get abit of noise. over all I love them highly suggest them but do check the air when they are put on. If you go over sized they will get ruff I am using the stock size and wheel 265/70/R17. Alot of people complain about wheel wobble or ruff ride and most of it is using wrong size or wheel issues.

Last edited by Charmed483; 03-07-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Charmed483 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.