03 dodge 2500 HEMMI - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2002, 02:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 480
03 dodge 2500 HEMMI

5.7 LITER 345HP 375lbs torqe .... stock that is the shit to bad it is a dodge
Old 09-28-2002, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2840
Send a message via AIM to Huff
Not really, when Fords new diesel cranks out 325 hp and 550 ft/lbs. I'm sure the Dodge will run well but it's probably lacking in low end for serious towing.
Old 09-28-2002, 10:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 2190
You do realize he is talking about a gas motor, right??
TTURokToy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2002, 01:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 144
Quote:
Originally posted by MudYoTa
You do realize he is talking about a gas motor, right??
I dont think he does. the dodge diesel is 305 hp and 555 lbft. of torque @ 1400rpm and I think thats the CA engine. The HO 49 state is more from what I remember on the literature (but I threw that away yesterday)
Old 09-29-2002, 10:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 2840
I knew he was talking about the gas hemi. Great top end power, but a lot less torque than a diesel or the other companies gassers. Be a hell of an engine in a half-ton though.
Old 09-29-2002, 11:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:
Originally posted by Quenton Cassidy
I knew he was talking about the gas hemi. Great top end power, but a lot less torque than a diesel or the other companies gassers. Be a hell of an engine in a half-ton though.
ok.. lesson in engines....

you tow where your powerband is! I mean.. .it sounds like your putting down the engine because it doesn't produce its power at 1400rpms. Well.. with a diesel redline around 3-3400 rpms... that is about the equivalent to running a gas engine at 3-4,000rpms.

oh yeah... when is the most power being produced in a stock V8 gas engine? Thats right... between 3-4,000rpms.

a lot less torque than other companies gassers? man you are so full of shit... comparing small block V8s, which is what the 5.7 is.

Dodge hemmi 5.7L V8 - 345HP/375ftlb
Ford, 5.4L V8 - 260hp/350ftlb
Chevy 6.0L V8 - 300HP/360ftlb
GMC 6.0L V8 - 300HP/(Assuming 360ftlb, same as chevy)

Hmm... looking at that... I'de say the hemi outpowers them all. hmmm....

Comparing a gas engine to a diesel? well.. thats stupid. yeah.. the diesel will produce more torque than a gas engine. Of course, not everyone needs a diesel, so the 5.7L Hemmi is a good thing.

BTW - It sounds like your a Ford biggot... so... I'll have you know. Dodge's new diesel puts out 305HP/555ftlb, up.. thats basically equal to a Ford's diesel. Maybe a little better.

Last edited by Travis Waldher; 09-29-2002 at 11:08 AM.
Travis Waldher is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2002, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 2840
I stand corrected, if somewhat misunderstood. I saw that as soon as I wrote that, that I would come across as a "ford biggot" Fact is right now all three companies are building good trucks that will undoubtedly get the job done. When I made the comparison to gas engines from other companies what I had in mind were the Ford V-10 and GM 8.1L since thats the competion in the HD truck market. My mistake, comparing apples to oranges though since the dodge is small block, as you pointed out.

Back on topic...When is the Hemi going to be available in the Dodge? I went looking at them yesterday and every single HD I saw was a Cummins.
Old 09-29-2002, 04:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 2632
Quote:
Originally posted by Quenton Cassidy

Back on topic...When is the Hemi going to be available in the Dodge? I went looking at them yesterday and every single HD I saw was a Cummins.
I think I saw one that said HEMI on it at a dealer the other day. Most were cummins though.

Stephen
sbrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2002, 09:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 745
Man I wish all the HD's I saw were Cummins, all I've seen has been Hemi's. Great gas engine I think its the best one out there(just by the number's) they havent proven themselvs yet. Sure as hell beats the old 5.9L.
Old 10-01-2002, 02:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 11484
Quote:
Originally posted by Travis Waldher

ok.. lesson in engines....

man you are so full of shit... comparing small block V8s, which is what the 5.7 is.

Dodge hemmi 5.7L V8 - 345HP/375ftlb
Ford, 5.4L V8 - 260hp/350ftlb
Chevy 6.0L V8 - 300HP/360ftlb
GMC 6.0L V8 - 300HP/(Assuming 360ftlb, same as chevy)

Hmm... looking at that... I'de say the hemi outpowers them all. hmmm....
Actually, the gm 6 liter is a big block. You'd have to compare a hemi with a gm 5.3, if, infact the hemi is a small block. It seems whimsical to me that a manufacturer would go to all those lengths to build a hemispherical combustion chambered set of heads, just to put them on a small block. Albeit a greater displacment, the hemispherical combustion chamber will make much more power cubic inch for cubic inch. You'll notice all the torque numbers are pretty inline with one another. Ford's, being the lowest. (as per your list) Ford could change the e-prom around a bit, and blow the hemi out of the water. Also, if all three engines listed were the same CID, then I'd imagine Ford's would have more torque than the hemi. Torque is after all, what gets you there faster, and up and down the hills quicker. Horsepower is the measure of ability to maintain torque.

In order to quanitfy your statement, you'd have to list the rpm values that each motor peaked at.
MR4WD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2002, 04:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 13961
Quote:
Originally posted by MR4WD

It seems whimsical to me that a manufacturer would go to all those lengths to build a hemispherical combustion chambered set of heads, just to put them on a small block. Albeit a greater displacment, the hemispherical combustion chamber will make much more power cubic inch for cubic inch.
Who says they don't have a big block in the works for the future? Doubtful, since they use the V10...but you never know.

Quote:
You'll notice all the torque numbers are pretty inline with one another. Ford's, being the lowest. (as per your list) Ford could change the e-prom around a bit, and blow the hemi out of the water.
Yeah, and you could throw an e-prom in the new Hemi and really blow the 5.4L Triton out of the water....what's your point?

Quote:
Also, if all three engines listed were the same CID, then I'd imagine Ford's would have more torque than the hemi.
And can you explain that theory? Why would it?

Quote:
In order to quanitfy your statement, you'd have to list the rpm values that each motor peaked at.
Ok.

Ford:
SAE Net Horsepower 260 @ 4500
SAE Net Torque (lb ft) 350 @ 2500

Dodge:
SAE Net Horsepower 345 bhp@ 5400
SAE Net Torque (lb ft) 375 lb.-ft.@ 4200

Unfortunately, this doesn't help us any because i have no idea what numbers the Hemi puts out at 2500rpm, or what the Triton puts out at 4200rpm. (if you want to compare torque anyway)

Maybe somebody could get some solid figures on tow ratings?

You talk about the Ford 5.4L blowing the new Hemi away with e-prom upgrades and whatnot. Remember something. This is the first year of it's introduction which means there is a shitload of room for improvement in the future. Out of all the literature i've read on the new Hemi, it is severely de-tuned. You can thank the beancounters for that. You talk like the Ford Triton 5.4L is hand built by God or something... Yeah, it's a good engine..but give Chrysler some friggin credit for stepping out ahead of GM and Ford for once, they deserve it.

Last edited by intense4x4; 10-01-2002 at 04:58 AM.
intense4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2002, 07:17 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 10429
Quote:
Actually, the gm 6 liter is a big block.
GAWD, 400 posts and still talking out of your arse.

GM 5.3/6.0 are based off the new SMALL BLOCK.. The 8.1, now THAT's the big block.

LS1 guys are using the 6.0 block in the F-bodies once they get to the HP level where they need an iron block.
Old 10-01-2002, 09:54 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 4758
Quote:

Torque is after all, what gets you there faster, and up and down the hills quicker. Horsepower is the measure of ability to maintain torque.

HP is the rate at which torque is produced. Hence the formula for HP, HP=(Torque*RPM)/5250. It's the combination of Torque and RPM that get you up the hill quicker, and that's what HP is a measurement of.
Zane Znamenacek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.