ford 6.0 powerstroke turbo fins sticking - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 07:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 102649
ford 6.0 powerstroke turbo fins sticking

truck is a 04 6.0 diesel excursion, second owner so i dont know the history on the truck ive owned it since 78K and it got 112k on it now, no problems besides an alternator,

no chip, no mods other than catalyst and muffler are cut off and, straigt piped from down pipe back 4" dumping right after the rear door.

the problem did not start after i did the exhaust ive put 5k on since wit zero problems,

when i let off of the throttle i get this high pitched rattle comming from the turbo, almost like the waste gate is not working properly,
what symptoms do the turbo fins , i am also experiancing loss of power.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 75158
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoterford View Post
truck is a 04 6.0 diesel excursion, second owner so i dont know the history on the truck ive owned it since 78K and it got 112k on it now, no problems besides an alternator,

no chip, no mods other than catalyst and muffler are cut off and, straigt piped from down pipe back 4" dumping right after the rear door.

the problem did not start after i did the exhaust ive put 5k on since wit zero problems,

when i let off of the throttle i get this high pitched rattle comming from the turbo, almost like the waste gate is not working properly,
what symptoms do the turbo fins , i am also experiancing loss of power.

I am not a 6.0 pro, but I was working on a truck that sounds just like what you are saying. I hooked the scanner up and ran a self-test. Failed for Turbo multiple times. My buddy took it to Ford because it was under warranty. They either cleaned or replaced the turbo. Cannot remember.
He was amazed at the power he had after he took it in.

The downfall is the new program they give all the 6.0 owners takes some of the original power away in an effort to try and reduce all the warranty problems.

Find someone with a good scanner and run the self test. It picks up the Turbo issues most of the time.

2002 F-250 Superduty Lifted on 35's
littlyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2010, 07:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 102649
i never had a check engine light on though, or would it be like an event code.

i work on big rigs and machinery for a living, and we have what are called event codes, like if boost pressure , charge air tempt, egts, or a tps goin. got high it would log it into the ecm but not cause a CEL or check engine light
Old 01-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 67907
You need to clean your turbo most likely, it is a problem with lots of VVT engines.
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-06-05.php
Old 01-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 102649
thats a real good artical,

i never had a vgt apart, i think im goin to try that, i wonder how much you can see through outlet for boost. i might see what i see wit a bore a scope, i would hate to pull it off/apart to find it pretty clean,

does anyone know where i could find end play specs, i yanked the inlet side piping off and noticed a slight amount of end play.

i called my buddy at ford and he said he would bring is laptop home and hook up to it, to see if i got any codes/events.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 75158
Quote:
i never had a check engine light on though, or would it be like an event code.

i work on big rigs and machinery for a living, and we have what are called event codes, like if boost pressure , charge air tempt, egts, or a tps goin. got high it would log it into the ecm but not cause a CEL or check engine light
No, you will get the turbo failure from running the self-test. It has not caused the CEL to come on with the trucks I haved looked at.

2002 F-250 Superduty Lifted on 35's
littlyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 143850
The vanes are most likey stuck in the open position. If you took the cat off already you should think about doing an EGR delete also. Helps spool the turbo and eliminates a lot of the carbon build up inside. EGR valves sticking open a little could cause the power loss also.
Dgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 106504
Also you can go on some of the Ford sites and post your VIN and someone will run a Oasis on it to tell you what warranty work has been performed in the past so at least you know.
geeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 36646
Whatever you do......DO NOT GO TO THE STEALERSHIP. Sure they will clean or replace the turbo but goodbye power when they reflash it,...It will be detuned and it sux ass seriously. And can not be put back unless you buy new ecm from the ones ive seen that has been flashed.
I would take a diesel speciality power shop and get work done. Do you know if truck has had studs done ? If so it probably has been detuned already unless not done at dealer.
zuking101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 102649
honestly i do not know if it has studs, when it went back to ford for a cam sensor leaking at 99,853 miles i asked em if they could print me out a work history report, they said they couldnt. i am honestly thinkin about yankin a valve cover off to see but as we all know ford jamned 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag.

anyone know if that is true, caterpiller we can pull up the history as long as the work was performed at a cat stealership,
Old 01-14-2010, 05:13 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 80873
ttt

take it to the dealer for a cleaning, tell them thats all you want done. no flash. then delete the egr
bushauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 3236
Quote:
honestly i do not know if it has studs, when it went back to ford for a cam sensor leaking at 99,853 miles i asked em if they could print me out a work history report, they said they couldnt. i am honestly thinkin about yankin a valve cover off to see but as we all know ford jamned 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag.

anyone know if that is true, caterpiller we can pull up the history as long as the work was performed at a cat stealership,
  1. The dealership is yanking your chain, ask for an Oasis report for your X as the cutoff on Oasis info is generally 10 years.
  2. No need to pull valve covers etc. to see if it has head studs, they are visible externally at the bottom of the head.

ARP Head studs:
Old 01-15-2010, 08:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50177
Sticking turbos are pretty common on these things, sometimes but not always you will get a CEL and code p0299 (underboost). Ford has an updated turbo center housing and unison ring (the round plate with the slots in it that moves the vanes) but it gets kind of expensive. When you get the turbo apart look for pitting on the turbo housing where the unison ring slides, if you have pitting you really should replace the housing, either way you should replace the unison ring.

The dealer that said they could not get warranty history of full of shit. They all have access to OASIS (warranty history, recals, tsb's, ssm's, ect.) If you get me your VIN I can run an OASIS for you.

www.MayhemMetalWorks.com

my buggy build
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...e33fc&t=488938
am4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote