to buy a new slide in or not. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 87916
Location: a few miles from hopesmell va. Where you loose cell phone servise..
to buy a new slide in or not.

im at a crossroads on what to do.the current slide in i have on my trailer doesnt leak but pretty much needs the interior redone and the front lenghtned to fit a large bed up there.i have priced theese slide ins and they are EXPENSIVE (for a new nice one),they are more than a large camper (dont understand why).

my current camer has no shower,toilet or sink which doesnt really bother me.i have a stove and oven for it already.im just trying to figure out to make a camper like mine into the quality of something newer how much am i gonna spend and is it gonna be worth it in the end.here is my current setup.the grey box is no longer on the front

Old 02-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 75158
Time for a new camper. I paid $700 for mine. queen up front, a/c, heat, shower, toilet, fridge, all works. You really need a bed and you just cannot make that one work. Also something you can stand up in. Even for just a small amount of money you could get much more comfort than that one.

In the end, it is up to you and your wallet. Here is mine.

2002 F-250 Superduty Lifted on 35's

Last edited by littlyota; 02-03-2010 at 06:21 PM.
littlyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 11985
Send a message via AIM to 1TFROT
I'd opt for a newer one and get some creature comforts

we were just going through the same thing, but on a little more expensive level. was looking at fairly new used ones and for a little more we ended up buying brand new and getting what we wanted (and more convenient too)

I really wanted to do a small travel trailer on my GN, but they were all slightly too long for what I wanted and to also fit on the trailer I'm getting.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 36464
Definitely get a new camper if you can afford it. The market is dead and there are a lot of deals to be had.
Hottrod81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 72000
if you wanna make another road trip to ohio i might could hook you up with a free one. let me check with my friend since its been stored in his yard for several months and see if hes cool with it.
84 chevy home made crewcab

Delightfully Tacky,Yet Unrefined

Last edited by nightcrawlers; 02-03-2010 at 07:38 PM.
nightcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 36646
Nightcrawler if he doesnt want I may be interested in it.
zuking101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 135367
Some of the new slide-ins are awesome with the slide-outs and awnings and all the creature comforts in them but they want WAY to much for them new. Around here you can pick up a nice 20-25 y/o or so slide in for about $500-1000 that has all the stuff you need: water tanks, bathroom, stove, fridge, A/C ect. For what it would cost to fix yours up you could easily get a bigger one in decent shape for less $$.

_(o))-o-))(o))--o))
kc8ksg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 87916
Location: a few miles from hopesmell va. Where you loose cell phone servise..
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawlers View Post
if you wanna make another road trip to ohio i might could hook you up with a free one. let me check with my friend since its been stored in his yard for several months and see if hes cool with it.
let me know what you got.i found this one local but it just is to old for me.if im gonna buy another it HAS to be something newer.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/rvs/1582154513.html
Old 02-05-2010, 06:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 72000
whats wrong with that one? coat of paint and some TLC on the inside it could be allright...

the one ive got is alittle bigger, more spacious in the top "bedroom" has a furnace,stove,room a/c in the rear,and 2( ) sinks. i kinds wanted to take the one sink out and try and turn it into a bathroom. it has no holding tanks,just a water hookup. also has a fridge that i could not get to work on 110 or 12v but could not get the pilot lighted to test of it worked on propane. table that folds into a bed,its s decent layout inside.

sometimes i have to fight off urges to mount it on my big gooseneck. i talk myself out if it becasue im building the enclosed trailer with creature comforts so the big GN is more useful without it. i also have urges to load it up in my truck and just go camping with the GF but the toolbox is in the way of that so it wouldnt be easy... plus idneed to mod it to fit my dually. lastly i have urges to permanently mout it in a truck bed trailer. but the redneck factor of that would be off the scale so im prolly better off not having it. my friend was talking about stealing the furnace,stove,etc,but we have a couple other junk campers and slide ins so he was cool with giving it to you.

ill dig around and see if i have any pics onthe puter from when i picked it up. if not ill try and have him take a few,or get down there and take a few for you.
84 chevy home made crewcab

Delightfully Tacky,Yet Unrefined
nightcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 17042
This one keeps popping up on our CL. It looks pretty well setup and has a queen bed. Not bad for $600.

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/rvs/1587112713.html
Old 02-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 44856
Send a message via AIM to DownNDirty
You guys are finding way better deals than I can around here. I guess that is because the people around here are still buying them for a place to live.
DownNDirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
I guess it depends on how handy you are and how much time you want to put into it, but I would use the parts that are good off of yours and build a new one. Im sure you could make it fit the trailer a lot better and end up with a shitload more interior space tailored to what you want. Your free to build bigger beds, shower, overhang, etc.
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote