Mitsu Fuso/Isuzu NPR/Hino cube trucks - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 13395
Mitsu Fuso/Isuzu NPR/Hino cube trucks

This is probably not the best spot for this question but I figured it might get the best amount of responses in the tow rig forum.

I am looking at a re-power of my 1994 FZJ80 Cruiser. I use it for towing up to about 5000 lbs but that's about it, it's more of a daily driven beater than anything. A lot of people run 4BTs but I don't like the tranny options (700R4 or 4L80E with $$$ controller and $$$$ adapters), and through a stroke of freaking dumb luck the trans that's used in most of these japanese cube trucks (Aisin 450-43) is a close variant to the one that's in my Cruiser meaning I can use most of the original driveline of the truck if I mix and match the front end of a 450 trans and the rear of a stock A442F.

The problem is I don't really know much about these med. duty trucks, and I am hoping someone can tell me which ones of these are best and why. The Isuzu engine that comes coupled to the right trans is the 4HE1-T, which is a 4.75L 175 4 cyl, from 1998 to 2005 ish, comes in NPRs all the way up to 19.5K GV. Looks like a stout little unit, but the starter location sucks, so I am leaning towards the Mitsu or Hino plants. There is less info on these two. The Mitsu plant is the 4D series, they are 3.9L and about 150-165 horse, turbo, and look just about perfect. And lastly, the Hino W04C-T engine, wh8ch would be awesome because it's kinda Toyota-ish.

So, anyone have experience with these trucks/engines? Other than buying something with low miles and hit (instead of run into the ground)?
Old 02-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 3236
Why not take the easy way out and go with 1HD-T?
Old 02-04-2010, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 33536
TONS of info on here about Isuzu NPR engines, called the 4BD1 and 4BD2 in the older trucks. The new N series has a 5.2L inline six that is electronically controlled, so you dont want to mess with that. You may know that GM and Isuzu have had a JV on these trucks for a long time and the gas versions have SBC's in them, 6L Vortec in the new trucks I think.

The Fuso engines are great, but I am not sure what transmissions came behind them. Due simply to the fact that MFTB does not import many Fuso trucks here (compared to Isuzu and what it sells in the rest of the world) they can be harder to find and more expensive.

Look for a breaker or dismantler for import cabover trucks like Busbees or import trucks of Atlanta. You may get lucky and find an older NPR in a wrecking yard with an engine still intact.

They are about the size of a Cummins 4BT, but not as tall. The older models are mechanical and there are plenty of people who have swapped them into all kinds of things. You can turn them up for more power, but it does have the cult following of bombers that Cummins has.

Hino is part of Toyota and their diesels are some of the best in the world, so you cant go wrong there either. Again Hino does not import many trucks here so availability of trucks and parts may be an issue. Not sure if you can get them from a Toyota dealer or not. If so, that could be a sweet setup. Mitsubishi car dealers do not carry Fuso parts.

UD is part of NIssan and is probably second behind Isuzu for volume of trucks on the road here, so finding parts should not be an issue.

All of the small trucks (upto about 14k GVW) have about the same power 150-200hp and about 350-400 pound feet of torque. Plenty of torque, not sure about 150hp in an 80 series towing a trailer, so you may immediately be underpowered without engine mods such as pump, intake, exhaust, injectors, etc.

Google the Isuzu motors, there is a forum for them, but I cant think of it right off. That may be your best bet unless you can get some of the Hino stuff from a small truck to match up to the Aisin tranny.

I have seen a 4BT and 6BT in an 80 series so I am sure that a 4BD will fit fine.
85blue4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poseur SUV

Member # 610
Send a message via ICQ to Paul Gagnon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85blue4runner View Post
Hino is part of Toyota and their diesels are some of the best in the world, so you cant go wrong there either. Again Hino does not import many trucks here so availability of trucks and parts may be an issue. Not sure if you can get them from a Toyota dealer or not. If so, that could be a sweet setup. Mitsubishi car dealers do not carry Fuso parts.

UD is part of NIssan and is probably second behind Isuzu for volume of trucks on the road here, so finding parts should not be an issue.
The original poster is from Canada. Hino trucks have been imported into Canada since about the mid-'70's, they should be fairly easy to find in heavy truck junkyards in major centres.

Isuzu in Canada is very small but they were also sold as GMC W series and are quite common everywhere.

Mitsubishi Fuso is not much of a player here and UD is non-existant.

Last edited by Paul Gagnon; 02-04-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Paul Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Check out Iroc86's jeep/Isuzu 4BDT diesel swap.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...588&highlight=
Also, the 4BT swap group on Yahoo has a section for the Japanese diesels. Mostly the Isuzu/NPR, but you might find more info on the Hino & Mitsubishi diesels.
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
guidolyons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 33536
sorry man, didnt realise you were in Canukistan, it was late...lol

good luck in your search and post up what you end up with..
85blue4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 10010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmt View Post
Why not take the easy way out and go with 1HD-T?
bingo
Old 02-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 13395
Re: easy way out - Cause it's easy?

1HDT is the other option but a 1HDT in my driveway is going to be 7-8K. The cruiser it's going in is more of a beater daily driver, so I don't really want to spend 2X what it is worth on an engine. Supply and demand, they are going for good money, moe than I personally feel they are worth. I bet I can find one of these little delivery trucks for less than half that, part it out to make some money back, and there are all kinds of cool things built-in - Factory lockup in 2nd 3rd and 4th, exhaust brake controlled by computer, etc. I would not think of it unless I could figure being done with $3-4K in.

For Hino I am looking at J05C-T, which are supposedly very good but they look massive from the photos I have found. There is a guy on Mud with a Isuzu 4HE1T swap in progress, that confirms what I thought, but the starter placement is an issue. I think Hino would be cool (but I think it's too damn big at 5.0L ish) and the Mitsu engines I have no info on.

I like the 4BD engines but they don't come with te 450-43LE trans, so they are out. The big deal here is having a factory drivetrain with no adapters.

Last edited by HandBuilt; 02-15-2010 at 01:43 PM.
HandBuilt is online now   Reply With Quote