Trailer bild starts - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 78077
Trailer bild starts

I will be starting my trailer build soon. I picked up a set of axles taday. One brake axle and one roller Rated at 3500 each. This will be a bumper pull i will post up pics as I progress. nothing special, but most factory bumper pulls are not to my satisfaction.

Last edited by #rawkon; 02-07-2010 at 08:56 AM.
#rawkon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2010, 12:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 86086
Send a message via AIM to three60fish
What's a trialer???

1995 Dodge Ram V10....infinitely broken

Several Trail 90's....Word to the Honda horizontals!
three60fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2010, 06:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 72000
whats a "bild" ?

seriously,what are the specs you got planned? lookin forward to pics.
84 chevy home made crewcab

Delightfully Tacky,Yet Unrefined
nightcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2010, 06:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Resident A-hole.

Member # 117771
hope you fabricate better then you spell.
montecarlo31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2010, 07:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
-------

Member # 13671
Quote:
Originally Posted by montecarlo31 View Post
hope you fabricate better then you spell.
It'll be 18ft- maybe even down both sides.
45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2010, 08:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 5587
Quote:
Originally Posted by #rawkon View Post
I will be starting my trialer build soon. I picked up a set of axles taday. One brake axle and one roller Rated at 3500 each. this will be a bumper pull i will post up pics as I progress. nothing special, but most factory bumper pulls are not to my satisfaction.

I hate piling on, but!
Aside from the already stated," you can't spell for shit" comments, I have to ask. Most "Factory Built 7 K rated Bumpers Pull Trailers" come with brakes on both 3500 lb. axles and you'd rather they come with only one set of brakes?
Your planning on having the possibilities of towing 7 thousand pounds on your trailer and you think one set of axle brakes is good enough? Are you using a Semi for a Tow Rig or a 1/2 ton Chevy?

Now if you had three axles and only wanted two with brakes, I could understand.

DUDE! Not only can't you spell for shit!

Good luck with that! Post up some pictures of your entire rig when you finish, so we can pull over when we see you coming up behind us.

Great call, you'll be saving what $75. Think about it!
Old 02-07-2010, 09:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 78077
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSRodeo View Post
I hate piling on, but!
Aside from the already stated," you can't spell for shit" comments, I have to ask. Most "Factory Built 7 K rated Bumpers Pull Trailers" come with brakes on both 3500 lb. axles and you'd rather they come with only one set of brakes?
Your planning on having the possibilities of towing 7 thousand pounds on your trailer and you think one set of axle brakes is good enough? Are you using a Semi for a Tow Rig or a 1/2 ton Chevy?

Now if you had three axles and only wanted two with brakes, I could understand.

DUDE! Not only can't you spell for shit!

Good luck with that! Post up some pictures of your entire rig when you finish, so we can pull over when we see you coming up behind us.

Great call, you'll be saving what $75. Think about it!
Odd that you mention 2 sets of brakes on factory trailer. I have owned 3 that were factory built and only had one brake axles. Hmm. Very odd. As for my spelling, i spell really well, Just type horribly.

This will not be a be a trailer used for heavy stuff. Just local runs, and motorcycles. if I am pulling anything heavy I have a GN.

Edit: I realized I probally shouldnt post after drining heavily. It only magnifies my poor typing skillz.

Last edited by #rawkon; 02-07-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 105052
Quote:
Odd that you mention 2 sets of brakes on factory trailer. I have owned 3 that were factory built and only had one brake axles. Hmm. Very odd. As for my spelling, i spell really well, Just type horribly.

This will not be a be a trailer used for heavy stuff. Just local runs, and motorcycles. if I am pulling anything heavy I have a GN.

Edit: I realized I probally shouldnt post after drining heavily. It only magnifies my poor typing skillz.

I have a 2008 PJ 30ft gooseneck with tandem 7000 pound axles and it only has brakes on one axle. And I have hauled a 26,500 # (not GVW actual weight) pipe wrangler that had absolutely no trailer brakes.... I had to transport it 75 miles and while corners were not exactly fun (enter at 40 exit at 60) it is very doable.
rebel102285 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 78077
I have towed several trialers without brakes. not my idea of a fun time. I dont see where to brake axles are relevant to a traielr that will probally never haul for then 3500 lbs anyway. Not that I am being cheap. i have the axles already set up for this light duty application. I actually bought these axles from a friend. they came out from under his current factory produced car traielr, he wanted to upgrade to stronger axles. So I guess big tex trailers only runs one brake axle too.

Last edited by #rawkon; 02-07-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 72000
what is a friled?

seriously,you should know that this is pirate and the mentality is you need brakes on all axles,and at least a dually to pull your jetski. otherwise youll kill yourself and everyone around you. including the busload of nuns.
84 chevy home made crewcab

Delightfully Tacky,Yet Unrefined
nightcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2010, 08:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 78077
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawlers View Post
what is a friled?

seriously,you should know that this is pirate and the mentality is you need brakes on all axles,and at least a dually to pull your jetski. otherwise youll kill yourself and everyone around you. including the busload of nuns.
Fixed it..

Any yes, a frieghtliner to pull a push mower is typical here.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 25349
Send a message via AIM to mondtster
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSRodeo View Post
Most "Factory Built 7 K rated Bumpers Pull Trailers" come with brakes on both 3500 lb. axles and you'd rather they come with only one set of brakes?...
I've seen more that only have one braking axle than two. I've also seen some that have NONE. These were all "factory built" trailers too.

Remember, most of the typical car trailers were designed to haul race cars and the like, not heavy pickups and buggies.
mondtster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 78077
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondtster View Post
I've seen more that only have one braking axle than two. I've also seen some that have NONE. These were all "factory built" trailers too.

Remember, most of the typical car trailers were designed to haul race cars and the like, not heavy pickups and buggies.
GN for the buggy, as already mentioned.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4506
Quote:

Depends on the state.

WA requires brakes on ALL axles above like 3500 or 4K (so a 7K would require brakes on all axles). I know some other states don't require squat.

Around here, the "cheaper advertised" trailer places advertise the "brake on one axle" trailer to get you in the door, but by law you have to "upgrade"

I would like to see you build, and keep a running $$ cost as well. I'm too cheap to buy a new lighter hauler, and keep telling myself I could build something custom for less $$, but my logical brain tells me I'm full of shite.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 118370
While you may not need a Pete with a 600 Cummins to pull your junk down the road, it's plain stupid to build a custom trailer with only a single braking axle if your goal is to be better than store bought.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 25349
Send a message via AIM to mondtster
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF-J View Post
While you may not need a Pete with a 600 Cummins to pull your junk down the road, it's plain stupid to build a custom trailer with only a single braking axle if your goal is to be better than store bought.
So axles are the only thing that gets you to the status of "better than store bought?"
mondtster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 118370
Quote:
So axles are the only thing that gets you to the status of "better than store bought?"
Nope, but it's a start.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:23 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 78077
Quote:
Nope, but it's a start.

And good one at that. The other axles has flanges so i can install brakes on both axles if I see a need to do so. Found soem 3 inch channell today, maybe pick up the angle this weekend and get started on it.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:25 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 78077
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustoleumWhite View Post
Depends on the state.

WA requires brakes on ALL axles above like 3500 or 4K (so a 7K would require brakes on all axles). I know some other states don't require squat.

Around here, the "cheaper advertised" trailer places advertise the "brake on one axle" trailer to get you in the door, but by law you have to "upgrade"

I would like to see you build, and keep a running $$ cost as well. I'm too cheap to buy a new lighter hauler, and keep telling myself I could build something custom for less $$, but my logical brain tells me I'm full of shite.
You can build a nice custom trailer and still be less than a decent manufactured trailer. i have built several including a gooseneck my parents use for hauling hay. I built it when I was in high school.

Last edited by #rawkon; 02-09-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 78077
Quote:
You didnt read much in this thread did you?
Old 02-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 110184
Mine is factory and only has one 3500# brake axle, but will be remedied soon. Works fine as is, but should be better when I get bigger axles and both have brakes.

OP- I understand what you're saying, amazingly, and I agree with you. Being better safe than sorry is one thing, but overkill to the detriment of your checkbook and sanity can be just as stupid. Why would you need dual brake axles pulling motorcycles? That sounds like a unqualified driver issue to me.

91 YJ, 5.3, TH400, Atlas 3.8, 35 spl 60's f&r

Pick up your trash you nancy little bastards or sell that shit and go buy a fawkin low rider so you can be around more of your own kind! :flipoff:
mrtoddb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 118370
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawlers View Post
what is a friled?

Quote:
Fixed it..

Any yes, a frieghtliner to pull a push mower is typical here.
Quote:
Quote:
You didnt read much in this thread did you?
Here, let me connect the dots for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.