Anyone running MT/R's on their tow rig? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2002, 04:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ford Forum Moderator

Member # 421
Anyone running MT/R's on their tow rig?

Just bought a 93 Dodge W250 Club cab 4x4 w/the Cummins, & would like to be able to use the truck for light 'wheeling, as well as a daily driver/tow vehicle. As soon as I get the ARB for the front of my 'wheelin rig, I'll probably drop the lock-right into the tow rig. Anyway, I'm curious as to how long a MT/R (I'm thinking 285/75R16) will last, & how well it will behave under a vehicle this heavy. Any other reccomendations for a decent wearing/handling semi agressive tire is appreciated.
Thanks in advance
AZFord4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 08:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 87
Send a message via AIM to GRMhick
Well, i am just posting to say, PICS.. i wanna see the new dodge. but anyway, i havent had a chance ot run my mt/r's, but right now i have a touch under 40k miles on my bfg muds (33x12.50's) on my 5500 lb truck, and according to tire rack.com the mt/rs in that size wear alittle better. Also they are rated at 3305 lbs a tire for both bfg's and goodyears. I hope to get around 50k on my bfg;s, but i dont know how they woudl wear if i hauled more.. but after putting the mitchlen's that everyone keeps talking about on my 4 runner, i will never buy anything but another mud for any of my 4wd;s. I took my runner out on some light trails and it was sliding all over the place where it was 10x better when i had bald dunlops. BTW, IMO the mitchlens suck, also, i have seen alot of bridgestones do really well (my grandfather blew 7 mitchlens before going ot the bridgestones, and they are 10x better, and awesome tires), and the bridgestone mt also comes in 285/75/16.

oh, and again, PICS
GRMhick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2002, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9461
I have a Chevy 3500 HD ('01 4x4 dually) with 235/85/16 MTR's and have run them for about 20,000 miles. About 6-7000 miles have been highway towing at least 8000 lbs.

I like the look, but they are wearing fast. The fronts really feather badly if you do not rotate frequently (which is a hassle on the dually). The rears wear about 2x as fast as the fronts. So I am left with 3 tires with about 50% tread that is feathered pretty bad (the two fronts plus spare), and 4 rears with about 30% tread (without feathering), all in about 20,000 miles.

I will be replacing these with Mich. Highway Ribs (sorta a commercial truck tire) in the stock 215/85/16 size (to save on some mileage).

Bill R.
FrankenRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 14338
Send a message via AIM to BigFatIronPig
the BFG all terrain is a great on road/off road ratio. especially for towing, i thing that a mud tire in the rear while towing would melt away like a snowcone in texas.
Old 10-18-2002, 06:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
I've had really good luck with Cooper Discoverer STT's. Little more aggressive than MT/R's, but they last as long or longer than any other radial "MT" that I've used. Like BFG MT's, they handle well on pavement, but they're noisier, especially below 1/2 tread. Have also run General Grabber MT's. Okay if you're looking for the cheap way out, but that's about it. And Uniroyal Laredo MT's - HATED THEM. They wander all over the pavement & the heavier your truck is, the more pronounced this is. Steer clear of 'em.

TEX
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
Bear Creek Auto Recyclers
www.svrehorsepower.com
TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 07:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 1599
Location: Indianapolis, IN. Home of the Brickyard 400, Indy 500, and USGP!
Send a message via Yahoo to SpaceGhost
Ditto on the wearing fast! I am not running them, but 2 of my buddies are and neither will or has gotten 30k from them. If it's a tow rig load range E is the ticket. Good luck finding bigger meats that are gonna be "the shit" for a tow rig.

UROC Team #180 running:
BFG's 37" Krawlers, Gordon Beadlocks, HP60's, T-Max w/Blue Diamond Rope, Green Filters, Marlin's ToyBox, 3.8 Atlas II, and "I got the shaft from Jesse" but I couldn't have done without Badlands Machine Shop (765-762-2981)!
SpaceGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
No comment

Member # 4
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
i got 15k miles from mine on my tow rig. went back to BFG m/t and already have 19k with only slight wear.
camo is offline   Reply With Quote