Trailer leaf spring bushings-Upgrade to bronze, or stick with Nylon? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4406
Trailer leaf spring bushings-Upgrade to bronze, or stick with Nylon?

The nylon leaf spring bushings on my 10k tandem axle trailer are toast. Dexter offers bronze bushings and wet bolts (drilled for grease, w/a zerk on the end) that look like they would work. Has anyone tried upgrading from the nylon to the bronze bushings, and was it worth it? Or is this a horrible idea?

Thanks,

Pete
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways , beer in hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOW, what a ride."
pcorssmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 10429
Don't the "big trucks" use bushings like that on their leaf springs? If so, that would seem to be an sign that they last..
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2010, 06:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4406
I'm not sure what the big trucks use for spring bushings.

Pete
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways , beer in hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOW, what a ride."
Old 04-07-2010, 06:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 142394
Dont know if this will help but what about having some made out of delrin?

I am not familiar with the shape of the bushings but they cant be that hard to make from a solid rod of delrin. Harder than poly but not as hard as bronze.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 132020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Don't the "big trucks" use bushings like that on their leaf springs? If so, that would seem to be an sign that they last..
The answer is "yes". On the steering axle. Drive axle(s) different story.
spreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4406
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryblack View Post
Dont know if this will help but what about having some made out of delrin?

I am not familiar with the shape of the bushings but they cant be that hard to make from a solid rod of delrin. Harder than poly but not as hard as bronze.
Not a bad idea, but I can't see it being "economically feasable" when both the nylon and bronze are available off the shelf.

Pete
Old 04-07-2010, 05:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 142394
Thats true, i just dont know the cost of the off the shelf stuff..I had great success with delrin in my sho tuarus.

If i had a cheap Harbor frieght lathe id make leaf spring bushings from it again

I just see bronze wearing out a bit too fast unless you grease often
Old 04-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4506
While I like the idea of bronze and grease I don't know if would be worth it.

The "nylon" last what, 10-years or so, are dirt cheap and super easy to replace. How much longer are you going to get out of the bronze?

If you were a long-hauler, and went through plastic bushings say every year I would give the bronze a try and see how they hold, but for a recreational user I wonder if it would be worth it.

Just thoughts off the top of my head, and one less thing I would need to "maintain" and remember to grease all the time.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4406
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustoleumWhite View Post
While I like the idea of bronze and grease I don't know if would be worth it.

The "nylon" last what, 10-years or so, are dirt cheap and super easy to replace. How much longer are you going to get out of the bronze?

If you were a long-hauler, and went through plastic bushings say every year I would give the bronze a try and see how they hold, but for a recreational user I wonder if it would be worth it.

Just thoughts off the top of my head, and one less thing I would need to "maintain" and remember to grease all the time.
Thats the conclusion I came to. I wound up ordering new bushings, bolts/nuts, and shackles from etrailer. It came to ~$48, and since I needed to order a new hitch for my truck, I got free shipping since the total was over $150.

As for the cost of just the bushings, they're ~$1/each for nylon, and $4 for bronze.

Pete