Enclosed Trailer interior light and stuff wiring? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3370
Enclosed Trailer interior light and stuff wiring?

My enclosed has some interior lights stock, but it doesn't have it own battery so the interior lights only work when plugged in to the towrig. Dumb thing is the marker lights on the truck need to be on and my dodges auto turns them off after a few minutes

I'm thinking I will add an onboard Deepcycle so I can have lights whenever I want, but I also want to wire some other stuff in. I'll make it plug into the RV battery cable wire fromt he tow rig so it charges when driving, maybe add an converter so I can plug in 110v and charge the battery run stuff.

I am an Electrician so I can wire stuff no biggie, but I have never seen what people use as far as panels for power distribution on a trailer before? Are they just using aftermarket 12v fuse blocks or cct breaker setups like delcity sells?

or does someone sell a nice boxed panel ready to go for trailers? I like doing things neat and tidy... I know I can piece my own system together but why reinvent the wheel if there is a reasonably priced part that will speed up the job.

Last edited by Pook; 06-04-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Pook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Community Organizer

Member # 32677
If you want something like a real RV you'll need something like this, I'm sure you can find a smaller one if you look.

http://www.dan-marc.com/1-80d.html

It's basically a 12V fuse panel with a 120 volt AC input line that will convert via a transformer to 12V DC and let you run on shore power if you have access plus it'll charge the battery when you're plugged into 120V shore power.

Last edited by Soundguy; 06-04-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Soundguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2010, 01:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
If you want something like a real RV you'll need something like this, I'm sure you can find a smaller one if you look.

http://www.dan-marc.com/1-80d.html

It's basically a 12V fuse panel with a 120 volt AC input line that will convert via a transformer to 12V DC and let you run on shore power if you have access plus it'll charge the battery when you're plugged into 120V shore power.
Awesome, Thats what i want. I think my brother might have one in his old camper he is crushing. I better go check it out tomorrow.

If not for $132 how could I go wrong.

Last edited by Pook; 06-05-2010 at 01:59 AM.
Pook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Community Organizer

Member # 32677
I was going to say to look for something out of an old camper, they're pretty basic and you don't need much if you just want to hook up a few lights. Most of them will have a 30 amp 120 VAC input with a couple spots for breakers so you could hook up AC appliances like an air conditioner or microwave.
Soundguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 116651
I am also an electrician by trade and i installed a marine battery in my trailer with a 2k/4k surge inverter from harbor freight. I tapped the battery into the trailer light circuit which utilizes the full time power circuit at the plug. So anytime the trailer is plugged in the battery is getting charged. I did however have a problem of blowing fuses under the hood when putting a large load on the inverter. I yanked the 30 amp fuse and installed a breaker that automatically resets itself. Be careful of breaker you get as some only reset after the ignition has been shut off, the ones i chose for my trucks automatically reset when they cool even if the load is still present. I can run almost all my power tools off the inverter but i mainly use it for charging batteries.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3370
Thanks I'll check into it.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck2 View Post
I tapped the battery into the trailer light circuit which utilizes the full time power circuit at the plug. So anytime the trailer is plugged in the battery is getting charged.
Maybe a solenoid on the ignition circuit so you only power the trailer to charge its battery when the ignition on the towrig is on. When you turn the truck off, you run on just the trailer battery? (or is yours already set up like this?)

I have one of those panels connected to the pair of 12V batteries in my Toterhome...but they're the engine starting batteries, and my 12V cooler drug them down stupid low at KOH. I need to add in a deep cycle "coach" battery.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.