mdt aux tranny info "spicer 6041" - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 06:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 142394
mdt aux tranny info "spicer 6041"

Doing some cleaning around the job and found this sitting in the rear cage..Pulled the cardboard tube covering the input shaft and the shaft is shiny new.

It has no shifters but im thinking i could fab up some air shifters for it or some cable shifters..I was told its two underdrive and one overdrive.

Is this a good unit to run or should i just toss it in the pile?Its only going behind an 7.3 idi so im sure it can handle the power.lol But are parts still available like full rebuild kits etc etc..

Id be putting it in my uhual ramp truck to get some more mph on long trips. Been looking for just a overdrive box but meh... this is free if i can use it.

Model # 6041
BM # 300659 10
Serial # 3976287

The shift linkage appears to be two rods kinda looking like a np 205 deal.Sorry for the bad dark pics but all i had is my worn out phone and the lights are dim in the back of the shop.
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2010, 08:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 14887
Back in the 80's I worked at a trucking company that hauled oil rigs in MT and we used Spicer 6041 behind 10 speed Fuller Road Rangers with Cummins NTC 400 in front. The Spicer 6041 held up to all the torque good, but the did seem to leak oil a bit. We didn't have any that were air shifted that I recall, but I'd bet they could be air shifted, but I think I'd stich with a manual shifter. Ours had yokes on the front and rear can't tell what yours has.

There is a need power tower that Spicer built that bolts to the top of the 6041 that we ran winches off of. The power towers had high and low gears and reverse. Most of the time drivers engaged the winch with the power tower which were air shifted and then used the 10 speed to control the winch.

If you bolted it in backwards you'd have to overdrives.....

Last edited by ScoutIITD; 09-21-2010 at 08:31 AM.
ScoutIITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 3236
Should be ~2.15, ~1.25, 1.00 and ~0.85 for ratios. Off the cuff I would say parts are around but finding and getting them won't be a 24 hour deal like newer stuff. TTC still has some literature on their site as well: http://www.ttcautomotive.com/english...2309-4_134.pdf
Old 09-21-2010, 09:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 142394
Mine has a parking drum brake on the back end..Has no front yoke so id have to find one that fits and mate that to my current shaft in my truck..

I only need the direct drive and over drive part of the tranny..My main tranny has a granny gear that seems to be enough rite now for me fully loaded..(7200lbs rig on the bed and 3600 lbs camper in tow).. Just when going down the highway i want to run 80-85 mph where i can..

I started looking into 7 speed tranny swaps but that gets crazy expensive and downtime will kill me..

Im figuring that i can just install a small air cylinder from bimba with a short enough stroke to go from direct drive to over drive..I will have to get it out and cleaned up a bit then start screwing with the shift rods coming out of the tranny..Hopefully this will be exactly what i need to run.

Looks like building mounts, yokes and shifter this will go in the truck with ease.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 51070
I have access to a Watson (spicer) model 2021. Its a relatively small unit with only a single shift rail. direct, n, (over/under) depending on which direction you mount it.

anyone know more info about this unit? would it hold up behind a first gen 12v and nv4500. I was thinking about using it to split gears.
jeepmj_tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 14887
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmj_tj View Post
I have access to a Watson (spicer) model 2021. Its a relatively small unit with only a single shift rail. direct, n, (over/under) depending on which direction you mount it.

anyone know more info about this unit? would it hold up behind a first gen 12v and nv4500. I was thinking about using it to split gears.
http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=94333
Old 09-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 51070
yeah i have seen that thread, cant view the pics unless you are capable of logging in.

I would like to know if it capable of holding behind a first gen cummins.
jeepmj_tj is offline   Reply With Quote