dodge ram 3500 Transmission - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 169774
dodge ram 3500 Transmission

I got an 01 3500 dually and im on my third trans, I need one to last me. Any suggestions??
little89f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 68821
47RE, NV4500 or NV5600?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2010, 07:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 20331
goerend.
fullsize80cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 33536
if you dont mind shifting gears, you will probably never kill this one:

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98...ed-fuller.html
85blue4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 169774
problem with switchin to standard is the old lady drives it an some employees and i dont want them breaking it. Goerend huh? ill check em out thank you
Old 10-31-2010, 08:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 132500
Putting in an Allison would be about the same process as in that Eaton 6 speed link. Don't know if it'd work with the stock column shifter, but adding an auto shifter to the floor wouldn't be any harder than adding a clutch and manual shifter. Allisons are also really cheap used since practically every school bus has come with one.
Machinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 167243
Spend the money on a Goerend transmission and you can go on down the road worrying about something other than your transmission. Spend the bucks once and be done with it.
Ayers Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 91857
Send a message via AIM to yozsi
I built my own transmission, and it has lasted about 45k miles so far. My truck puts around 500-550hp and around 1100 lb/ft tq to the ground depending on the tune im using. I used stock clutches with 120k on them, alto red sintered iron front band, billet super single dtt tq converter, all billet pistons, and a tcs valve body.

Foreign Car Center
Vallejo, CA
yozsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 169774
Thanks all of you for the advice, I posted this same thing in the dodge page and got harassed for being a total idiot and not getting a standard to start. Didnt realize a 3500 dually would be hurt pulling two cows in a trailer haha
Old 11-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 33536
^^ in a Dodge truck it will
85blue4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 167243
Yep, I agree. As a man who has owned 5 Cummins pickups, 2 of them with automatics, I have learned to not underestimate the weakness of the automatics. Just pulling the empty truck down the highway is about all they can manage at best.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 91857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayers Garage View Post
Yep, I agree. As a man who has owned 5 Cummins pickups, 2 of them with automatics, I have learned to not underestimate the weakness of the automatics. Just pulling the empty truck down the highway is about all they can manage at best.
Hmm, wow. Out of all the auto's. The 47re's are holding more power than the others. Please don't talk until you have built one yourself.

Foreign Car Center
Vallejo, CA
Old 11-01-2010, 04:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 126806
Send a message via AIM to SixSped5
Quote:
Originally Posted by yozsi View Post
Hmm, wow. Out of all the auto's. The 47re's are holding more power than the others. Please don't talk until you have built one yourself.
Yeah, modified.

Stock they creep me out. I REALLY don't trust my transmissions with heavy loads.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 167243
Quote:
I've built many a transmission so I will talk. I've been doing it for 19 years now, I got my ASE auto trans cert in 1991. I'll stand by my first post. When stock, they are nothing to brag about. I sent him over to Goerend Transmission to see their offerings. I told him once he had it built properly he could quit worrying about it ever again. Read my earlier post before you call me out.

Last edited by Ayers Garage; 11-01-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 20331
Quote:
Hmm, wow. Out of all the auto's. The 47re's are holding more power than the others.
stock?? no fucking way
fullsize80cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 43251
Is it a 2 wheel drive truck or 4 wheel drive, what transmission is in the truck now and what hp motor do you have in it??? Sanco has a cheaper better fix to the mid range than the $8000 auto tranys guys do imho. You can build a standard like should have been in the truck in the first place, the nv4500 is junk as well as the six speed manual, I have both, $2800 for a nv4500 rebuild if they can find enuff american made parts as they have dryed up and the china junk is not up to specs, the shop i use quit rebuilding them unless he can score all of the made in the usa parts to rebuild the nv4500 and you still end up with a tiny clutch as well, FL Freighliner FL60, 70 80 all have the 5.9 cummins with a Sae 2 bellhousing and 14 inch clutch with an adjustable master clutch slave cylinder readily available at all Freighliner and aftermarket big truck parts dealers, go to the san co site and see what he has done, a guy on pirate has installed a new gov rebuilt spicer 3053a od 5 speed into a jeep as well that could be installed into a 2001, ihave the parts to do a FL60 with 3053a 5 speed od into my 2001 but broke my leg and so just been collecting parts when the time comes, some of the autos cost 5 times more than the truck its going in, the manual 5 and 6 speed medium duty truck trannys and bells and flywheels can be had on the cheap if one has time and can google hd truck junkyards, most of the 5.9 trannys is 2 to 3 times higher than you can buy at a HD medium truck rebuilder anyways, look at the specs on FL freighliners fl 60 70 80's with the 5.9 cummins with 5 and 6 speed fullers with od and the set up they run
dillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:17 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 25349
Send a message via AIM to mondtster
Quote:
I've built many a transmission so I will talk. I've been doing it for 19 years now, I got my ASE auto trans cert in 1991. I'll stand by my first post. When stock, they are nothing to brag about. I sent him over to Goerend Transmission to see their offerings. I told him once he had it built properly he could quit worrying about it ever again. Read my earlier post before you call me out.
So you have an ASE cert in transmissions but aren't offering any sort of tech to this conversation? Since you're so smart about them, what usually burns up in an OD torqueflite?

Automatics aren't rocket science and the torqueflites are good trannys. They were a compromise when they came from the factory, the average motor vehicle operator would think there was something wrong with the tranny if it was set up in a condition that would make it conducive to longevity/durability.

Building a durable torqueflite is something that can be done in an average guy's garage with average tools and a little bit of knowledge on the tranny. It seems that most people are just too lazy or dumb to think and search out the answers of what should be done to a tranny to improve it. They just want everyone else to tell them what to do (followed by not paying attention and fucking it up).
mondtster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:04 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 91857
Quote:
Ohhh ASE certs?? WOW! Guys at jiffy lube and midas has those too So you've been doing it for 20 years and is ASE CERTIFIED and you sent away a potential customer to Goerend? So, tell me what actually makes the chryco transmissions so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSped5 View Post
Yeah, modified.

Stock they creep me out. I REALLY don't trust my transmissions with heavy loads.
Did i say stock? Hell, just a VB and a slightly better TQ converter will hold most anything you throw at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsize80cherokee View Post
stock?? no fucking way
See above.

Foreign Car Center
Vallejo, CA
Old 11-02-2010, 09:19 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 25349
Send a message via AIM to mondtster
Quote:
Ohhh ASE certs?? WOW! Guys at jiffy lube and midas has those too So you've been doing it for 20 years and is ASE CERTIFIED and you sent away a potential customer to Goerend? So, tell me what actually makes the chryco transmissions so bad?
LOL, I was thinking the same thing.

Quote:
Did i say stock? Hell, just a VB and a slightly better TQ converter will hold most anything you throw at it.
I agree.
mondtster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:20 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 167243
Quote:

See above.
You're kind of excitable aren't you? He asked about the transmission and I sent him to pretty much the most reputable Dodge auto tranny place around to have it fixed properly. Dave Goerend addresses the weaknesses when he goes through one. I have no interest in trying to drum up work over the internet doing the guy's rebuild. I keep plenty busy with local jobs.

And yes, I've held the ASE Master cert since 1991. If Jiffy Lube folks have them too, good on them. I really could care less. I've made a good living for a long time getting my hands dirty and some internet hothead in California (that's you) doesn't bother me.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 91857
Quote:
You're kind of excitable aren't you? He asked about the transmission and I sent him to pretty much the most reputable Dodge auto tranny place around to have it fixed properly. Dave Goerend addresses the weaknesses when he goes through one. I have no interest in trying to drum up work over the internet doing the guy's rebuild. I keep plenty busy with local jobs.

And yes, I've held the ASE Master cert since 1991. If Jiffy Lube folks have them too, good on them. I really could care less. I've made a good living for a long time getting my hands dirty and some internet hothead in California (that's you) doesn't bother me.
And you still side stepped and brought no tech to this thread... Please review your ASE test study booklets.

Foreign Car Center
Vallejo, CA
Old 11-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 49334
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsize80cherokee View Post
goerend.
I say x2 all the way. Great company and customer service.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 49334
Quote:

See above.
The quality of goerend speaks for itself. If u knew anything about dodge transmissions you would know they are famous for their quality. They also sell valve bodies and torque convertors seperately and owning both myself I would definitly say the poster you are chewing out is pointing this guy toward one of the best companies in their field hands down.

Damn over zealous posters.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 91857
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakieOffroad85 View Post
The quality of goerend speaks for itself. If u knew anything about dodge transmissions you would know they are famous for their quality. They also sell valve bodies and torque convertors seperately and owning both myself I would definitly say the poster you are chewing out is pointing this guy toward one of the best companies in their field hands down.

Damn over zealous posters.
Goerend my ass, over priced shit that can be bought elsewhere for a fraction of what they charge, a torqueflite is a torqueflite.

Foreign Car Center
Vallejo, CA
Old 11-02-2010, 02:59 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 33623
My 99 CTD with a auto had around 125000 on it when I sold the truck. The kid that bbought it works for a dealership. He asked when the transmission was rebuilt. I told him it is still stock. After I picked him up off the floor and he was breathing again, he asked how. I pointed to a after market cooler and told him thats how.

He knows what I tow and how I tow. I run a 16ft stock trailer with cow/bulls/horses. It can be flat ground or mountain road.

The truck was stock and did not have a lift and big tires. It was a tow pig and that is it. Load on, OD off. Changed fluid when needed and ran additives that helped.

Now I have my 05 with the 6 speed with 126000 on the factory cluch and running alittle extra power. It works alot harder than the old truck and never had a problem.

If you just slam the gass and go then things fall apart if you drive them like you own then then they last