2011 F-150 Ecoboost - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
montecarlo31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Member # 117771
Location: Communist Republic of Texas
Posts: 3,332
2011 F-150 Ecoboost

I noticed this hasn't really been me discussed in here. Looks like a pretty good setup for anything under 7-8K lbs. I do realize in true pirate fashion you should be pulling your jetski trailer with a F-450 4x4 but with the economy the way it is people are toning it back a bit.

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=33260

montecarlo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Member # 50476
Location: richlands nc
Posts: 212
Send a message via AIM to fearfact Send a message via Yahoo to fearfact
i would really like to see it in an expedition and see how it is.. potentially the perfect large family hauler, especially if you dont need it to double as a tow rig
fearfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member # 87358
Posts: 79
I am considering this as my next truck. I currently have an 05 f150 with the 5.4 and it works for my daily needs and occasional towing. I am waiting for one to come in so I can test drive it.
tripped38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Member # 24709
Location: Glenville, NY
Posts: 615
Send a message via AIM to CartsXJ Send a message via Yahoo to CartsXJ
If you go to Ford's site, you can sign up for an Eco-Boost test drive. Where they come to you and let you take one out for a spin. I schedule one for tomorrow afternoon, I'll report back and let you guys know.

I currently have an 05 crew with the 5.4 and it tows the jeep and boat fine with a cab full or gear or family. But that 420ft-lbs and mid 20's potential mpg are definitley intriguing.
__________________
"Being a man take years of fightin, screwin, drinkin, and whorin. Then more drinkin and then more whorin...if there's time" -Trippin the Rift
CartsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Member # 143405
Location: fall city, WA
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by montecarlo31 View Post
I do realize in true pirate fashion you should be pulling your jetski trailer with a F-450 4x4
I think this statement goes with most forums.
ruffryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God
 
KyleQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Member # 83837
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,734
They have some neat video's on the site showing the punishment they are giving it. This is the perfect motor for a DD that tows a truck and trailer every few weekends. Looking forward to purchasing one.
__________________
74' Bronco - Mustang Injected 5.8 - 105:1- Locked D60, Powr-Lok 70U - NP435 -Atlas2 3.8 - PSC Full Hydro - 5.5" lift - Cage Arms - 37" Cut & Grooved Boggers
Bronco Build Thread
KyleQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
GreyZuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Member # 81232
Location: Prather, CA
Posts: 1,173
Looks like it will be an awesome DD engine and for those that only need to haul a landscaping trailer or fishing boat. I have an 06 F150 with the 5.4 and when I replace it, the only two engines I'm looking at right now are this eco-boost and the 6.2


What would be really bitchin would be to have this 3.5 Eco-boost in a 2011 Ford Ranger with long travel desert suspension....

Last edited by GreyZuk; 12-06-2010 at 12:17 PM.
GreyZuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
montecarlo31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Member # 117771
Location: Communist Republic of Texas
Posts: 3,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearfact View Post
i would really like to see it in an expedition and see how it is.. potentially the perfect large family hauler, especially if you dont need it to double as a tow rig
I would be all over it in a Expedition EL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartsXJ View Post
If you go to Ford's site, you can sign up for an Eco-Boost test drive. Where they come to you and let you take one out for a spin. I schedule one for tomorrow afternoon, I'll report back and let you guys know.

I currently have an 05 crew with the 5.4 and it tows the jeep and boat fine with a cab full or gear or family. But that 420ft-lbs and mid 20's potential mpg are definitley intriguing.
Looks like 22-24 is the magic number people are going to see depending on speed. We've had them at our St. Augustine store as a fleet buyer and they do have some serious power. Everyone that has driven them loved the truck overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZuk View Post
Looks like it will be an awesome DD engine and for those that only need to haul a landscaping trailer or fishing boat. I have an 06 F150 with the 5.4 and when I replace it, the only two engines I'm looking at right now are this eco-boost and the 6.2


What would be really bitchin would be to have this 3.5 Eco-boost in a 2011 Ford Ranger with long travel desert suspension....
I love the 6.2 but currently I only get paid mileage for work miles which sucks so I'd love to have a 5 mpg bump in my fuel economy to offset my cost of owning a truck for work vs my current ride.
montecarlo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Member # 2802
Location: Would it be Pacific North or Southwest... anyways north of the border
Posts: 444
Hmm, never really been a factory forced induced gas engine designed for towing, so this will be good to see if they have worked out all the problems associated. I am wondering what boost they are running and if these engines will be Premium gas only engines?

The only other concern is what injection pressures they are running and if the those plastic Valve covers house the injectors underneath them. This engine looks like it will be running very hot for efficiency but if the injectors fail for any reason and spew gas underneath the plastic valve covers, it will be burning through those valve covers easily. Considering how Ford engineer/stuff their engines into their trucks I can see a lot of problems quickly for the new F150.
__________________
Basking in Project paradise... latest addition '83 dodge Crew Cab needing a Cummins...
LCexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
montecarlo31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Member # 117771
Location: Communist Republic of Texas
Posts: 3,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCexplorer View Post
Hmm, never really been a factory forced induced gas engine designed for towing, so this will be good to see if they have worked out all the problems associated. I am wondering what boost they are running and if these engines will be Premium gas only engines?

The only other concern is what injection pressures they are running and if the those plastic Valve covers house the injectors underneath them. This engine looks like it will be running very hot for efficiency but if the injectors fail for any reason and spew gas underneath the plastic valve covers, it will be burning through those valve covers easily. Considering how Ford engineer/stuff their engines into their trucks I can see a lot of problems quickly for the new F150.
This engine has been out in the Cars for a while, while different the principles are the same.

10.1 Compression
13 lbs of boost (up from 10 on the cars).
Variable timing on both intake and exhaust.
Direct fuel injection
87 Oct nets you the rated 365hp / 420 tq @2,500 RPM, 90% of peak torque avail at 1,700 to 5,000 RPM.
Water cooled turbos (similar to the Duramax).

Last edited by montecarlo31; 12-07-2010 at 09:54 AM.
montecarlo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member # 87845
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 1,346
think there might ever be a ~5.0L V8 version of the EcoBoost?

that would be the best of both worlds... lower gas fuel prices, higher deisel power numbers.
y2knole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
OkLaHoMaYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Member # 17969
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,055
Send a message via AIM to OkLaHoMaYJ
I was very surprised at the amount of abuse they are giving the engine. My dad has a 2006 F150 5.4L and it tows my Jeep and trailer around fairly easy just has really low MPG's (8-9mpg). My dad is planning on getting a new 2011 Ford F150 next summer. He says he will likely go with the 5.0L though. I really was impressed watching it tow 11,300lbs for 24hrs wide open throttle. I would still like to have seen the MPG's it was getting.

I just bought an 07.5 Dmax and now I want one of these! I'll test drive one next year or in 2012 when some used ones start popping up.
__________________
12 F150 FX4, EB, 2'' level, Toyo, SCT, AFE / 05 LJ Rubicon, 4''Currie, MTRs, Built 44's, Savvy
OkLaHoMaYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
DT75FLH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Member # 101209
Location: 3 seasons warm, hot, really hot
Posts: 540
The videos were cool...


but...I bought the hype when they came out with the 08 fords...you know..cool videos showing them towing 3 HEAVY trailers with f450's for like 200k miles..and saying they got the bugs out....

my 08 went through 3 radiators, dpf, etc....


I like the f-150's and drive a 09 cc/sb 4x4 for work with the 5.4 ...the cabs are roomy and its got decent power. If i didn't have a big toy hauler and only towed my rig on a car trailer I would have one as the maint is a lot cheaper...

but I just checked there pricing and a loaded lariat 4x4 is like 48k....

my 2010 dodge mega 4x4 3500 srw diesel (loaded Laramie)was 51k. Ill keep mine
__________________
Difficulty is the excuse history never accepts.

A Nation of sheep will beget a Government of wolves.

Edward Murrow

Last edited by DT75FLH; 12-06-2010 at 08:22 PM.
DT75FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Member # 26910
Location: Tujunga,CA
Posts: 661
I'm interested to see how these hold up after a few years. I have 2 years left of payment on my '05 SCREW 5.4. If they do well I'll trade mine in for one.

Mine currently gets about 17-18 on the hwy and 14 towing. I have Edge programmer, K&N and catback. I'd love a few more MPG's for DD duty

__________________
'99 Explorer - Full Width 44/8.8 on 37's
'01 F250 Crew Cab 4WD -Tow Rig

Last edited by Stic-o; 12-06-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Stic-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Member # 132500
Posts: 1,041
That's an incredible amount of power for 3.5 liters. Way more than enough to tow a landscape trailer. I wouldn't want to try buying until they've been out for a few years though.

Plastic valve covers isn't something I've ever heard of before, and in that pic it's about 2 inches from a turbocharger!
Machinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
montecarlo31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Member # 117771
Location: Communist Republic of Texas
Posts: 3,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkLaHoMaYJ View Post
I would still like to have seen the MPG's it was getting.
Towing it's going to be VERY close to the 6.2 in fuel consumption. There is nothing you can really do about that. Supposed to be 10% better then the 5.4 from what our rep is saying.


The real feature is great fuel economy when not towing and still having power to tow.

I'm wondering if this engine would be like a diesel in the mountains for example you would not lose as much power as you climb to say 6,000 7,000 or 8,000 feet. Would it still make 420 torque at 8K feet above sea level.
montecarlo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:25 AM   #17 (permalink)
Terminally Stupid
 
wheelerfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Member # 4135
Location: Stova-Kor
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by montecarlo31 View Post
I'm wondering if this engine would be like a diesel in the mountains for example you would not lose as much power as you climb to say 6,000 7,000 or 8,000 feet. Would it still make 420 torque at 8K feet above sea level.
It would be like a turbocharged diesel under those conditions. The turbo will offset the power losses at altitude to a point. A NA diesel at altitude is just as bad a a NA gasser, I forget the percentage power you lose but it is like 10% per 3k in elevation
__________________
With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.
wheelerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #18 (permalink)
TEX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Member # 603
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 14,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerfreak View Post
It would be like a turbocharged diesel under those conditions. The turbo will offset the power losses at altitude to a point. A NA diesel at altitude is just as bad a a NA gasser, I forget the percentage power you lose but it is like 10% per 3k in elevation
Man, I know in my old TBI truck, going from 6,000 ft to 8,000 ft, it felt like I lost HALF my power
__________________
www.probog.com
Thanks to:
www.heiseroil.com
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
Bear Creek Auto Recyclers
www.svrehorsepower.com
TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #19 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
montecarlo31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Member # 117771
Location: Communist Republic of Texas
Posts: 3,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerfreak View Post
It would be like a turbocharged diesel under those conditions. The turbo will offset the power losses at altitude to a point. A NA diesel at altitude is just as bad a a NA gasser, I forget the percentage power you lose but it is like 10% per 3k in elevation
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEX View Post
Man, I know in my old TBI truck, going from 6,000 ft to 8,000 ft, it felt like I lost HALF my power
If that really is the case this would be a great DD / weekend tow rig for the average joe.
montecarlo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
takotruckin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Member # 106178
Location: Fresno Ca
Posts: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinos View Post
That's an incredible amount of power for 3.5 liters. Way more than enough to tow a landscape trailer. I wouldn't want to try buying until they've been out for a few years though.

Plastic valve covers isn't something I've ever heard of before, and in that pic it's about 2 inches from a turbocharger!
Plastic valve covers are getting very common, Ford has been using them for over 5 years now without any problems.
takotruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Member # 24709
Location: Glenville, NY
Posts: 615
Send a message via AIM to CartsXJ Send a message via Yahoo to CartsXJ
Just got in from my Ecoboost test. First I must say, DAMN!!! The amount of power that truck has is unreal in a half-ton! They showed up at my office with an '11 XLT crew 5.5' box 4x4 offroad/tow packaged truck. It was pretty much as loaded as you could get for a XLT, rear-backup camera, sync, tow mirrors, rear locker, chrome package, even had a front bench seat....just the way I would order it.

My office has about a 300 yard up hill enterance and I was able to reach 75 with it floored in that little distance. The biggest downfall was traction.....you could break the rear free anytime you wanted. Took it out on the highway and reached 75 with easy and it just kept pulling.....I mean kept pulling. And even 55 to 75 accelerations would put you back if you floored it. Went up a few exits and then took the stop-light to stop light road back to the office. From a complete stop, flooring it will put you back in your seat......and hold you there. The tow/haul mode definitely changes the shift pattern of the 6 speed, and even unloaded you could tell it would handle your typical jeep on a dual axle trailer with ease.

Overall, an awesome truck. I didn't want to give it up. If you get a chance to sign up for the Eco-boost test drive, DO IT!!! They pretty much give you free rain over the truck, if you want to tow something they'll let you.....offroad....sure......The test drive guy told me, some guy decided to do a little trail running with it up in Burlington. Another, threw 1000lbs in the bed and then hooked up a 5000lbs trailer and took it for a spin.....from what this guy said, you couldn't really tell the trailer was back there. Take it with a grain of salt....but the truck was impressive!
__________________
"Being a man take years of fightin, screwin, drinkin, and whorin. Then more drinkin and then more whorin...if there's time" -Trippin the Rift
CartsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
Wheeler
 
Join Date: May 2006
Member # 72166
Location: north carolina
Posts: 392
plastic valve covers and intakes and all kinds of plastic are the norm anymore. the ecoboost is twin turbo right? short term would be ok but long term after 75000 miles i see all kinds of trouble with the twin turbo. ford does not have the best record with turbos. now the 6.2 thats more like it. unlike the diesels the ford gas v8s are real reliable and now maybe make enough power to compete with chevy toyota and dodge.
dodgedog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #23 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
montecarlo31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Member # 117771
Location: Communist Republic of Texas
Posts: 3,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgedog03 View Post
plastic valve covers and intakes and all kinds of plastic are the norm anymore. the ecoboost is twin turbo right? short term would be ok but long term after 75000 miles i see all kinds of trouble with the twin turbo. ford does not have the best record with turbos. now the 6.2 thats more like it. unlike the diesels the ford gas v8s are real reliable and now maybe make enough power to compete with chevy toyota and dodge.
Normally I would agree however I think that these turbos will be very reliable. They are now water cooled which makes a good difference in the life expectancy. I can't think of the last turbo motor ford built other then the old turbo stang and thunderbird.
montecarlo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #24 (permalink)
Wheeler
 
Join Date: May 2006
Member # 72166
Location: north carolina
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by montecarlo31 View Post
Normally I would agree however I think that these turbos will be very reliable. They are now water cooled which makes a good difference in the life expectancy. I can't think of the last turbo motor ford built other then the old turbo stang and thunderbird.
powerstroke? i know i know its an international motor. but sold as a ford
dodgedog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:26 PM   #25 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
montecarlo31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Member # 117771
Location: Communist Republic of Texas
Posts: 3,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgedog03 View Post
powerstroke? i know i know its an international motor. but sold as a ford
moving on...
montecarlo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.