2011 F-150 Ecoboost - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 117771
2011 F-150 Ecoboost

I noticed this hasn't really been me discussed in here. Looks like a pretty good setup for anything under 7-8K lbs. I do realize in true pirate fashion you should be pulling your jetski trailer with a F-450 4x4 but with the economy the way it is people are toning it back a bit.

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=33260

montecarlo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 50476
Send a message via AIM to fearfact Send a message via Yahoo to fearfact
i would really like to see it in an expedition and see how it is.. potentially the perfect large family hauler, especially if you dont need it to double as a tow rig
fearfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 87358
I am considering this as my next truck. I currently have an 05 f150 with the 5.4 and it works for my daily needs and occasional towing. I am waiting for one to come in so I can test drive it.
tripped38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 24709
Send a message via AIM to CartsXJ Send a message via Yahoo to CartsXJ
If you go to Ford's site, you can sign up for an Eco-Boost test drive. Where they come to you and let you take one out for a spin. I schedule one for tomorrow afternoon, I'll report back and let you guys know.

I currently have an 05 crew with the 5.4 and it tows the jeep and boat fine with a cab full or gear or family. But that 420ft-lbs and mid 20's potential mpg are definitley intriguing.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 143405
Quote:
Originally Posted by montecarlo31 View Post
I do realize in true pirate fashion you should be pulling your jetski trailer with a F-450 4x4
I think this statement goes with most forums.
ruffryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 83837
They have some neat video's on the site showing the punishment they are giving it. This is the perfect motor for a DD that tows a truck and trailer every few weekends. Looking forward to purchasing one.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 81232
Looks like it will be an awesome DD engine and for those that only need to haul a landscaping trailer or fishing boat. I have an 06 F150 with the 5.4 and when I replace it, the only two engines I'm looking at right now are this eco-boost and the 6.2

What would be really bitchin would be to have this 3.5 Eco-boost in a 2011 Ford Ranger with long travel desert suspension....

Last edited by GreyZuk; 12-06-2010 at 12:17 PM.
GreyZuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 117771
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearfact View Post
i would really like to see it in an expedition and see how it is.. potentially the perfect large family hauler, especially if you dont need it to double as a tow rig
I would be all over it in a Expedition EL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartsXJ View Post
If you go to Ford's site, you can sign up for an Eco-Boost test drive. Where they come to you and let you take one out for a spin. I schedule one for tomorrow afternoon, I'll report back and let you guys know.

I currently have an 05 crew with the 5.4 and it tows the jeep and boat fine with a cab full or gear or family. But that 420ft-lbs and mid 20's potential mpg are definitley intriguing.
Looks like 22-24 is the magic number people are going to see depending on speed. We've had them at our St. Augustine store as a fleet buyer and they do have some serious power. Everyone that has driven them loved the truck overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZuk View Post
Looks like it will be an awesome DD engine and for those that only need to haul a landscaping trailer or fishing boat. I have an 06 F150 with the 5.4 and when I replace it, the only two engines I'm looking at right now are this eco-boost and the 6.2

What would be really bitchin would be to have this 3.5 Eco-boost in a 2011 Ford Ranger with long travel desert suspension....
I love the 6.2 but currently I only get paid mileage for work miles which sucks so I'd love to have a 5 mpg bump in my fuel economy to offset my cost of owning a truck for work vs my current ride.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 2802
Location: Would it be Pacific North or Southwest... anyways north of the border
Hmm, never really been a factory forced induced gas engine designed for towing, so this will be good to see if they have worked out all the problems associated. I am wondering what boost they are running and if these engines will be Premium gas only engines?

The only other concern is what injection pressures they are running and if the those plastic Valve covers house the injectors underneath them. This engine looks like it will be running very hot for efficiency but if the injectors fail for any reason and spew gas underneath the plastic valve covers, it will be burning through those valve covers easily. Considering how Ford engineer/stuff their engines into their trucks I can see a lot of problems quickly for the new F150.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 117771
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCexplorer View Post
Hmm, never really been a factory forced induced gas engine designed for towing, so this will be good to see if they have worked out all the problems associated. I am wondering what boost they are running and if these engines will be Premium gas only engines?

The only other concern is what injection pressures they are running and if the those plastic Valve covers house the injectors underneath them. This engine looks like it will be running very hot for efficiency but if the injectors fail for any reason and spew gas underneath the plastic valve covers, it will be burning through those valve covers easily. Considering how Ford engineer/stuff their engines into their trucks I can see a lot of problems quickly for the new F150.
This engine has been out in the Cars for a while, while different the principles are the same.

10.1 Compression
13 lbs of boost (up from 10 on the cars).
Variable timing on both intake and exhaust.
Direct fuel injection
87 Oct nets you the rated 365hp / 420 tq @2,500 RPM, 90% of peak torque avail at 1,700 to 5,000 RPM.
Water cooled turbos (similar to the Duramax).

Last edited by montecarlo31; 12-07-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 87845
think there might ever be a ~5.0L V8 version of the EcoBoost?

that would be the best of both worlds... lower gas fuel prices, higher deisel power numbers.
y2knole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 17969
Send a message via AIM to OkLaHoMaYJ
I was very surprised at the amount of abuse they are giving the engine. My dad has a 2006 F150 5.4L and it tows my Jeep and trailer around fairly easy just has really low MPG's (8-9mpg). My dad is planning on getting a new 2011 Ford F150 next summer. He says he will likely go with the 5.0L though. I really was impressed watching it tow 11,300lbs for 24hrs wide open throttle. I would still like to have seen the MPG's it was getting.

I just bought an 07.5 Dmax and now I want one of these! I'll test drive one next year or in 2012 when some used ones start popping up.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 101209
The videos were cool...

but...I bought the hype when they came out with the 08 fords...you know..cool videos showing them towing 3 HEAVY trailers with f450's for like 200k miles..and saying they got the bugs out....

my 08 went through 3 radiators, dpf, etc....

I like the f-150's and drive a 09 cc/sb 4x4 for work with the 5.4 ...the cabs are roomy and its got decent power. If i didn't have a big toy hauler and only towed my rig on a car trailer I would have one as the maint is a lot cheaper...

but I just checked there pricing and a loaded lariat 4x4 is like 48k....

my 2010 dodge mega 4x4 3500 srw diesel (loaded Laramie)was 51k. Ill keep mine

A Nation of sheep will beget a Government of wolves.

Edward Murrow

Last edited by DT75FLH; 12-06-2010 at 08:22 PM.
DT75FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 26910
I'm interested to see how these hold up after a few years. I have 2 years left of payment on my '05 SCREW 5.4. If they do well I'll trade mine in for one.

Mine currently gets about 17-18 on the hwy and 14 towing. I have Edge programmer, K&N and catback. I'd love a few more MPG's for DD duty

Last edited by Stic-o; 12-06-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Stic-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:11 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 132500
That's an incredible amount of power for 3.5 liters. Way more than enough to tow a landscape trailer. I wouldn't want to try buying until they've been out for a few years though.

Plastic valve covers isn't something I've ever heard of before, and in that pic it's about 2 inches from a turbocharger!
Machinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 117771
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkLaHoMaYJ View Post
I would still like to have seen the MPG's it was getting.
Towing it's going to be VERY close to the 6.2 in fuel consumption. There is nothing you can really do about that. Supposed to be 10% better then the 5.4 from what our rep is saying.

The real feature is great fuel economy when not towing and still having power to tow.

I'm wondering if this engine would be like a diesel in the mountains for example you would not lose as much power as you climb to say 6,000 7,000 or 8,000 feet. Would it still make 420 torque at 8K feet above sea level.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:25 AM   #17 (permalink)
Terminally Stupid

Member # 4135
Quote:
I'm wondering if this engine would be like a diesel in the mountains for example you would not lose as much power as you climb to say 6,000 7,000 or 8,000 feet. Would it still make 420 torque at 8K feet above sea level.
It would be like a turbocharged diesel under those conditions. The turbo will offset the power losses at altitude to a point. A NA diesel at altitude is just as bad a a NA gasser, I forget the percentage power you lose but it is like 10% per 3k in elevation
With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.
wheelerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #18 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerfreak View Post
It would be like a turbocharged diesel under those conditions. The turbo will offset the power losses at altitude to a point. A NA diesel at altitude is just as bad a a NA gasser, I forget the percentage power you lose but it is like 10% per 3k in elevation
Man, I know in my old TBI truck, going from 6,000 ft to 8,000 ft, it felt like I lost HALF my power
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
Bear Creek Auto Recyclers
www.svrehorsepower.com
TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #19 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 117771
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerfreak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEX View Post
Man, I know in my old TBI truck, going from 6,000 ft to 8,000 ft, it felt like I lost HALF my power
If that really is the case this would be a great DD / weekend tow rig for the average joe.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 106178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinos View Post
That's an incredible amount of power for 3.5 liters. Way more than enough to tow a landscape trailer. I wouldn't want to try buying until they've been out for a few years though.

Plastic valve covers isn't something I've ever heard of before, and in that pic it's about 2 inches from a turbocharger!
Plastic valve covers are getting very common, Ford has been using them for over 5 years now without any problems.
takotruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 24709
Send a message via AIM to CartsXJ Send a message via Yahoo to CartsXJ
Just got in from my Ecoboost test. First I must say, DAMN!!! The amount of power that truck has is unreal in a half-ton! They showed up at my office with an '11 XLT crew 5.5' box 4x4 offroad/tow packaged truck. It was pretty much as loaded as you could get for a XLT, rear-backup camera, sync, tow mirrors, rear locker, chrome package, even had a front bench seat....just the way I would order it.

My office has about a 300 yard up hill enterance and I was able to reach 75 with it floored in that little distance. The biggest downfall was traction.....you could break the rear free anytime you wanted. Took it out on the highway and reached 75 with easy and it just kept pulling.....I mean kept pulling. And even 55 to 75 accelerations would put you back if you floored it. Went up a few exits and then took the stop-light to stop light road back to the office. From a complete stop, flooring it will put you back in your seat......and hold you there. The tow/haul mode definitely changes the shift pattern of the 6 speed, and even unloaded you could tell it would handle your typical jeep on a dual axle trailer with ease.

Overall, an awesome truck. I didn't want to give it up. If you get a chance to sign up for the Eco-boost test drive, DO IT!!! They pretty much give you free rain over the truck, if you want to tow something they'll let you.....offroad....sure......The test drive guy told me, some guy decided to do a little trail running with it up in Burlington. Another, threw 1000lbs in the bed and then hooked up a 5000lbs trailer and took it for a spin.....from what this guy said, you couldn't really tell the trailer was back there. Take it with a grain of salt....but the truck was impressive!
Old 12-07-2010, 02:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 72166
plastic valve covers and intakes and all kinds of plastic are the norm anymore. the ecoboost is twin turbo right? short term would be ok but long term after 75000 miles i see all kinds of trouble with the twin turbo. ford does not have the best record with turbos. now the 6.2 thats more like it. unlike the diesels the ford gas v8s are real reliable and now maybe make enough power to compete with chevy toyota and dodge.
dodgedog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #23 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 117771
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgedog03 View Post
plastic valve covers and intakes and all kinds of plastic are the norm anymore. the ecoboost is twin turbo right? short term would be ok but long term after 75000 miles i see all kinds of trouble with the twin turbo. ford does not have the best record with turbos. now the 6.2 thats more like it. unlike the diesels the ford gas v8s are real reliable and now maybe make enough power to compete with chevy toyota and dodge.
Normally I would agree however I think that these turbos will be very reliable. They are now water cooled which makes a good difference in the life expectancy. I can't think of the last turbo motor ford built other then the old turbo stang and thunderbird.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #24 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 72166
Quote:
Normally I would agree however I think that these turbos will be very reliable. They are now water cooled which makes a good difference in the life expectancy. I can't think of the last turbo motor ford built other then the old turbo stang and thunderbird.
powerstroke? i know i know its an international motor. but sold as a ford
dodgedog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:26 PM   #25 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 117771
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgedog03 View Post
powerstroke? i know i know its an international motor. but sold as a ford
moving on...