Bent trailer axles, how to fix???? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 81654
Bent trailer axles, how to fix????

Sooo, I inherited a 28' Gooseneck that my grandfather used on the farm for many years. He obviously overloaded it ALOT which has resulted in bent axles. It still pulls straight and true, but it wears the inside of the passenger side tires really bad and with a heavy load I have popped a tire due to deflection in the tire and rubbing the fender.

Any ideas on how to fix easily? Or is it going to be a real pain in the ass?

(1st Annual Alpha Gorilla run 40 and under champion)
lockedupLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 37600
Send a message via AIM to PAToyota Send a message via Skype™ to PAToyota
New axles?
GET INVOLVED - Join the Blue Ribbon Coalition

'93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500 NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 176K
'85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 163263
I have heard of people using a jack with a load or some form of pressure on the trailer to hold it down while using the jack to apply pressure to the axle then using a piece of angle iron to truss the axle afterwards. The best way would be to replace the axles though since they have a bow to them factory and are not perfectly straight to begin with.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 174922
I used to work in a heavy truck alignment shop and have fixed many bent trailer axles. The Bee Line equipment I used worked great for it. check a few truck alignment shops in your area get a quote. and then decide.
RECOVERYTEAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 132500
Shops that work on trailers should be able to re-align axles, in fact the shop near me that does it is Bee Line. It was something like $165 for two axles with tax. But it might be worth it to just get new bare axles.
Machinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
I traded for some axles and tires some time ago and one of the tires was worn bad. When I took everything apart I found the tube rusted through and the axle bent. Its a crappy pic, but you can see the air gap of about 1/8" in about a 3 inch run. My plan when I get to it is to straighten the axle and plate both sides.
Attached Images

ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
For what it could cost to get the axle "straightened out", by that, meaning putting the proper arch back in it, I would consider just getting a new beam and swapping all the hard parts over.

But if it's wearing on the inside... is there any chance the axle was installed upside down?
Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jacks wasted life

Member # 145196
I have seen people remove the axles from mobile homes, shorten them and replace them with the bent/broken trailer axles ... those axles are designed to handle quite a bit of weight
primate60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 693
I put some arch in mine myself with a large I-beam, some chain and a bottle jack.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 81654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Waldher View Post
For what it could cost to get the axle "straightened out", by that, meaning putting the proper arch back in it, I would consider just getting a new beam and swapping all the hard parts over.

But if it's wearing on the inside... is there any chance the axle was installed upside down?
That was my initial thought as well, but I looked and they are installed correctly, they have a factory arch in them as stated above, but it is the passenger side that leans in, I'll get some pics this afternoon of it to show you guys what I am talking about.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:55 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 7753
How much overhang from spring pad to backing plate? They sometimes bend there.
Slowzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 140746
New axles would be the guaranteed, no fawking around answer. You will get exactly what you need.
cj7sswampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 157046
I bent all four spindles on my tandem before (who knew limestone was heavy??).

I figured, yeah no prob, just pull the wheels and bend them straight again. Wasn't long after I lost one wheel, hub and all. Then I fixed it properly.

If it's your spindles that are bent, they're hardened I think and should be replaced, diff story if it's the axle itself, you can always weld it beefier.
xmptsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 81654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowzuki View Post
How much overhang from spring pad to backing plate? They sometimes bend there.
I truly have not the foggiest idea, may take it to a trailer shop down here and see what they have to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7sswampers View Post
New axles would be the guaranteed, no fawking around answer. You will get exactly what you need.
Yeah, I need to price them, I'm afraid they might be more than the trailer itself is actually worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmptsunami View Post
I bent all four spindles on my tandem before (who knew limestone was heavy??).

I figured, yeah no prob, just pull the wheels and bend them straight again. Wasn't long after I lost one wheel, hub and all. Then I fixed it properly.

If it's your spindles that are bent, they're hardened I think and should be replaced, diff story if it's the axle itself, you can always weld it beefier.
I think he overloaded it with a large backhoe, the poor trailer is a single wheel tandem with 8 lug wheels, so I'm assuming 7 or 8,000 pound rating. I truthfully dont know what to look for as being bent, dont know what they looked like unbent.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 78077
I have tried to bend them back once. never solved the wear issue so I just replaced the axles with new and never looked back.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 78077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepdude_Jay View Post
I put some arch in mine myself with a large I-beam, some chain and a bottle jack.

This seems like a really bad idea. " Guess i will put some arch in my axles today"

Last edited by #rawkon; 01-12-2011 at 07:13 PM.
#rawkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
Quote:
Originally Posted by #rawkon View Post
This seems like a really bad idea. " Guess i will put some arch in my axles today"
If Jay thought it was a good idea to arch those axles Id be inclined to go along, the fact that you think it isn't just reinforces my belief that Jay was doing the right thing

Jay im guessing thats the trailer I saw at Naches. Was it spreading the wheels when you loaded it, or was it a preemptive measure? How did you decide how much arch to put in it?
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScouter View Post
If Jay thought it was a good idea to arch those axles Id be inclined to go along, the fact that you think it isn't just reinforces my belief that Jay was doing the right thing

Jay im guessing thats the trailer I saw at Naches. Was it spreading the wheels when you loaded it, or was it a preemptive measure? How did you decide how much arch to put in it?
The trailer we had this year was Ben's new 26'. This is Ben's old trailer, my new trailer. The tubes were straight, I won't say why. The last set of tires wore heavily on the inside.
I duplicated the camber I measured on a 1 year old trailer I have that has not been abused.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by #rawkon View Post
How is it a bad idea? Most trailer axles are cambered. These axles used to be straight and the inner shoulder of the tire wore out when the rest of the tire still had 50% tread. Now the axles are cambered so the tires should wear evenly.
Ben W is offline   Reply With Quote