What's wrong with the 6.4? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 11484
What's wrong with the 6.4?

I've driven a dozen or so 6.4's through work, and a bunch of people I know drive em. I don't know of any that have spent any time in the shop.

I'm talking work trucks that idle for 10 hours a day and go 30,000 on oil changes that are bag driven while driving, to dpf deletes and programmers, to bone stock well maintained trucks.

I've never dealt with one with a problem, but I read a lot on here about people saying they're always broken down. Even comparing em to the 6.0... What have been your experiencies?
MR4WD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 78077
Ours here at work started surging while driving down the road at about 20K miles, After that is was all downhill. It spends most of its time at the stealership in the repair bay. I wont even drive it anymore as it has left me stranded twice already. They are a huge hunk of shit that doesnt even make a decent boat anchor.

Last edited by #rawkon; 02-09-2011 at 06:25 AM.
#rawkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2011, 07:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 20999
opinions vary plenty of threads about them. it depends on how many of them you've owned or own and how much they cost you some claim they are fine and have good power others have had nightmare experiences. there seems to be a higher than average dissatisfaction ratio with these trucks so its a crap shoot on if you buy one what you might get.

Lets just say I wont be adding any more fords to my fleet for a long time until they are 5-8 years proven.

GO UM Montana Griz

"Jeep Lurker"

KEEP REMEMBERING 9/11

Jeep with Rambler motor, SUA, front 608.9 and some bolt on stuff.

I miss my old 4bt powered chief

Support Frank the Tank

Last edited by ddestruel; 02-09-2011 at 09:24 AM.
ddestruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 25349
Send a message via AIM to mondtster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddestruel View Post
lets just say I wont be adding any more fords to my fleet for a long time until they are 5-8 years proven
By that time they'll have tried 2 or 3 more motors...
mondtster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 106837
90k on my bone stock '08. Regularly pull 12,000#. Only problem was a radiator
leak. Fuel mileage kind of sucks, i'd attribute that to the DPF. All of my other trucks got exhaust and performance upgrades, the 6.4 is the first one I have been content with the stock hp.
chzbrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 106417
I have a F450 and it has been a great truck. 76,000 on it now tows great has tons of power, it is tuned, dfp and cat deleted since day one. Milage is 'nt the greatest but its a 450 so ... as far as in the shop it has been in once to do the high pressure pump gaskets, there is a TSP on them so I talked them in to doing them for me and thats it. But IMO I really dont think any of the newer trucks are that great. I still have my 1991 F350 and when it comes to working on them the older or home built ones are better. It is retarded to build a truck that you have to remove the cab to work on So I think when I get my Totter done it will go just for that reason.
Gearhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 27011
I bought my 2008 6.4L brand new and it just turned 41K miles and it's been a solid truck. It's been in for a steering issue and a radiator leak. Maybe for a total of 2 shop days since I have owned it. It's bone stock as far as exhaust and programming is concerned, and it pulls great. I can squeeze high 16 mpg's out of it on the interstate empty, but with any kind of trailer behind it, or stop and go traffic, the mileage drops. It's my daily driver, and I see about 13 mpg's per tank in mixed driving. It's super comfortable, very quiet and smooth, and plenty of power. The only thing that drives me nuts is the DPF and its inherent regeneration mode to burn off all the trapped soot. I hate it, but I guess that's the way it's going to be. In comparison in 2002 I bought a brand new 7.3L Ford Diesel with a 6 Speed and in it's first 40K I had it, it was in the shop more than my 6.4L. Not to say my 6.4L won't make up for lost time, but it's been actually more trouble free so far than my old 7.3L....
lowerd96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 171191
mine has had 3 egr valves (thanks edge!), egr temp senser, radiator, trans temp senser, and something is wrong with the power steering.

i bought mine used in 08 with 43,000. i think the problem was the owner before me. i have a feeling he was not using ulsd and fucked up the fuel system. on the last egr valve the dealership had to send the intake out to have it cleaned because there was so much shit it. after they cleaned the soot out i have not had a problem. its got 87k miles
bweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 71891
my family has one as a ranch truck. regularly pulls a 30' flat bed with 14 round bails on it. it get 10 mpg empty and 10 mpg towing that hay trailer full. manual trans and the lowest gears you could get in a diesel. only had it for 2 years but it's never been to the shop. and holly hell does it have more power than our old power stroke. i know what people mean now when they say you can't feel a small (10k lb) trailer.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 72166
i bought a new f550 with 6.4 in 08. the first 12000 miles it was in the shop 18 times, and was only getting 6.8 miles to the gallon. i really liked the truck when it ran, but couldnt depend on it and i used it for work. convinced ford to buy it back and then bought a new sterling bullet 5500. 50000 miles and no problems so far.
dodgedog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 73107
I ripped the DPF bullshit off mine and Spartan tuned it, it has been a decent truck so far with the 210 Tow Performance tune. Mileage is somewhat poor at between 13-17mpg depending on town/highway, I bought it used but bone stock and per Oasis it had only been in the shop to replace the TPMS. The transmission is solid, motor seems solid so far and with the spartan it runs great with no smoke. The only thing I have a problem with is that it has 85k on it and needs wheel bearings as the front shafts have about half an inch of play in them and rattle on rough roads.
Sturgell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 106178
Radiator problems on most of them, many of which are caused by bad thermostats. They are also having lots of injector problems, which are causing hydrolocking and bent rods. The dealers are doing quite a few short blocks because of that, but no other huge problems with them that I know of. So far they are doing a bit better than the 6.0. My dad has an early one in his F550 tow truck that gets beat pretty hard with all in town driving, heavy loads and lots of idling; other than poor fuel mileage he has no complaints.

The 6.7 does sound like it is a decent improvement, from what I have heard from the dealers is that they have been pretty flawless engines.
takotruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 81456
2010 F250 with 20000mi. all stock. I've had it just over a year, I start it every day with ease and it runs great. The mileage isn't too bad but I rarely hit 70mph, usually around 55mph. Last tank hand calc was 13.4mpg (winter fuel) 70% in town, 30% highway and I've gotten as high as 17.2 hand calculated. 3.55 gears and 20" wheels cc sb 4x4.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 101209
bought my 08 brand new in late 07.
3 radiators, (left me stranded for 2 days out of town) DPF replaced, (had to argue with ford and brought in the truck 3 times which is a 150 mile rt for me)

the tranny was great, KR interior was very nice, and this was my 1st diesel that I did not want to "upgrade" power wise. power was good stock, towing etc.

my truck usually saw all highway so no issues with the regen, my problem was it was down to around 10 mpg EMPTY (50k miles). no CEL or driveability issues (it was around 13 mpg new) went back to ford and was told to pound sand.. too bad, I was a pretty loyal FMC. so when the 2010 dodges came out with a true crew cab and 1.9 financing I traded it in. I sure would not want to be another Guinea pig with the new 6.7 (been there done that)

I have 12k all towing miles on the new dodge and only been back for a oil/filter change.

A Nation of sheep will beget a Government of wolves.

Edward Murrow

Last edited by DT75FLH; 02-13-2011 at 09:34 AM. Reason: sp
DT75FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 17313
seems like the best way to sum them up is...(based on what I've read here, and any other forum)

the people who own them, love them..

the people that don't, have a million horror stories about the one their brothers cousins neighbor has.... and their cummins has twice the power with 8 times the mileage...
Old 02-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
Poseur SUV

Member # 610
Send a message via ICQ to Paul Gagnon
My 2010 has ~80,800 km (50,200 miles) on it this morning after 14 1/2 months. The only issue that I have had with the engine was that at around 60,000 km it developed a leaky front crank seal. That was fixed under warranty. I have had no other issues with the engine or drivetrain. I get 13 mpg city and up to 17 mpg highway. I have had a few other issues with the truck, heater blend motor failing, rusty bumpers and a dead satellite radio. Everything was fixed under warranty.

Last edited by Paul Gagnon; 02-14-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Paul Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ford Bigot

Member # 31227
Mine spent most of May to August 2010 in the stealership trying to get Ford's approval for a blown headgasket.

As someone who loves the truck and has had problems let me sum it up for you:
Job Build 1 trucks (produced Prior to July 31st, 2007) are the most problematic.
Here's what to expect:
  • Single o-ring radiator hoses cause the hoses to blow off under high heat (Build 2+ have dual o-rings and little failures to date)
  • Cracked radiators due to a hyper extended high temp thermostat opening
  • Cracked DPFs
  • Air conditioning pumps seizing
  • A/C accumulator undersized
  • Early Build 1s had headgasket quality issues
  • Leaking steering boxes

My truck had the upper hose come off under pulling highway 4 towards Arnold, CA and that ultimately took out my headgasket. Ford fixed the hose first because that's what was leaking, however every time I had a load on it it would blow gallons of coolant out the reservoir.

Ford could never find the problem on test drives because they would drive it around the block and not get it to blow the coolant. I told the stealership multiple times that I thought it was a headgasket as it couldn't be anything else.

After taking it back to the dealership about 5 times for the same problem, I had all my ducks in line. After I was told to bring my truck down with a trailer with my GPW on it, I had enough. I was tired of filling this thing with diesel fuel so Ford could drive it around for a day or two and tell me I'm full of shit. I got in touch with the service manager and uttered the words "Lemon Law" and handed him a business card from someone in the CA Attorney General's office.

That got Ford off their ass finally and they opted to fix my F-250 under warranty for the headgasket. While they were in there, I had them stud the thing. What do you know, the problems of blowing coolant out went away.

I've also had it in the shop 3 times for the A/C blowing up. I've had 2 pumps seize on me. It's worked fine since I had it fixed and they replaced the pump and accumulator. Apparently the 08 accumulator causes a pressure spike returning to the A/C pump which can cause failure. It's been good so far since that was fixed.

Project Flat F***er (Fender)

Project SR5.0
FordFascist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 46161
Only experience I've had with the 6.4 is second hand through my wheelin buddy's father. He got his '08 new and it went a grand total of 1800 miles before the heads self destructed, no towing or anything. On the bright side of things, I think it's been running OK since Ford gave him a new one.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 101209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrod-13 View Post
seems like the best way to sum them up is...(based on what I've read here, and any other forum)

the people that don't, have a million horror stories about the one their brothers cousins neighbor has.... and their cummins has twice the power with 8 times the mileage...
oh yeah...i forgot about the power steering box being replaced....

A Nation of sheep will beget a Government of wolves.

Edward Murrow
DT75FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:41 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 171191
mines going in tomorrow morning. something is leaking..done really care what it is. im not even going to waist my energy climbing under this pos to see what it is. just want it fixed....cant wait to get rid of this thing
bweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 17904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrod-13 View Post

lol, I finally had to take my 6.0 in for a FICM. when I told him it was a 6.0 and I'm sure his mechanics loved them, he replied "we don't mind the 6.0s, but that 6.4 is a piece of shit." meh, 170K on the ticker and I've had to spend a grand total of 1100 bucks. I do hear a lot of horror stories about 6.0s, but I'll keep mine.
HalfFastFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 88396
all i have to add is.....

i work at a ford dealership, often times on these trucks. and i would NEVER own one. the 6.0 had its issues, but we have many more 6.4 trucks with catostophic engine failures. every time i drive one i know im an exhaust sensor or injector pump harness away from walking back to the shop. run it low on coolant for a while and you will be putting a front cover on it. want to pull a turbo? maybe some of the exhaust? pull the cab. heck just a tiny bit of shitty fuel/water in these things and its in the shop for a complete fuel system, which comes out of the customers pocket. egr valves, coolers, dpf's radiators, egt senors, thermostats, rocker arms......the list goes on, youve heard the stories, most of them are accurate.

heck i just see it every day....what do i know? some people do have good luck with them, and the later build trucks are a little better but it doesnt matter what you do, drive the shit out of it or baby it. i think your chances are the same. but 30k between oil changes??? those are some of our best customers
jackson76550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:49 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 39676

I bought a 2009 F-250. I have had no problems with the motor or trans. It has a 6in lift and 37 in tires. I tow with it 80% of the time. Nothing too heavy my toyota based rock crawler and a 4 place snowmobile trailer. I have been happy so far.
roceatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:18 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 3236
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson76550 View Post
all i have to add is.....

i work at a ford dealership, often times on these trucks. and i would NEVER own one. the 6.0 had its issues, but we have many more 6.4 trucks with catostophic engine failures. every time i drive one i know im an exhaust sensor or injector pump harness away from walking back to the shop. run it low on coolant for a while and you will be putting a front cover on it. want to pull a turbo? maybe some of the exhaust? pull the cab. heck just a tiny bit of shitty fuel/water in these things and its in the shop for a complete fuel system, which comes out of the customers pocket. egr valves, coolers, dpf's radiators, egt senors, thermostats, rocker arms......the list goes on, youve heard the stories, most of them are accurate.

heck i just see it every day....what do i know? some people do have good luck with them, and the later build trucks are a little better but it doesnt matter what you do, drive the shit out of it or baby it. i think your chances are the same. but 30k between oil changes??? those are some of our best customers
Man, a Ford dealership mechanic that sees lots of broken Ford trucks (that's a shocker right there...) and he also sees way more 6.4's than 6.0's? The same would go for a guy that works at a Dodge dealership saying he sees lots of Dodge 6.7's and a GM mechanic saying he sees lots of 6.6 D-maxes.

Given that you work at a Ford dealership and there are not many 6.0's left that have any of the original factory warranty left but that there is not a 6.4 truck out there that is more than 5 years old how is any of what you posted anything more than common sense?
Old 02-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 88396
man ive been here for a while. since back when the idi trucks were pretty common

i have seen all the latest motors hit the market and know which ones we have had the best luck with. so my opinion is not based on what is in the shop right this second. (the smart kids had it figured out before i had to explain that ) 6.0s definately had issues...heck even the beloved 7.3 when it was new.

the 6.4 in my opinion is definately not the best diesel out there right now. as for as what ford has offered in the past ten years its way down on the bottom. and for me that is awesome! more money in my pocket . but if someone wants an honest opinion on them ill give it to them.

if you really want one, buy one! when they are running they are great trucks. when they dont run they serve as awesome paperweights. but be afraid if you get one that is out of warranty. fawkers are expensive to fix.
jackson76550 is offline   Reply With Quote