All Pro/ Mad Dog Ultra FJ Race Build - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - FJ Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 129263
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJLED View Post
Looks like you've removed a bunch of weight which should offest the added weight of the cage nicely.

Did you get the weight on it before the race build? What's it in race form?
We did not get the weight before the race build but I know we will be lighter when we are done. We will be weighing it once the cage is complete. There is still alot of work to do caging the engine and tieing it back into the main cage also adding some more cross members to weld the new seats into. It will also have tube doors.After all of this work is done we will be weighing and re working the triangulation on the rear links.
Mad Dog 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 177190
Cool. Sorry I had assumed the build was just getting wrapped up now since you had your "press release" and that you were just staging your posts in here over a few weeks. Look forward to hearing what the weight is when you get around to it.

Last edited by FJLED; 11-29-2011 at 04:44 PM.
FJLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2011, 09:57 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 129263
Update

Moving the wireing harness, what a mess

New programer

Working out the exhaust.

T Case Adaptor

Last edited by Mad Dog 1; 12-16-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 129263
Advance Adapters/ JE Reel/ TRD Parts4U

Here is the Atlas installed and let me tell you something about Advanced Adaptors. They have to be one of the best places to deal with in the industry. I have never had such good customer service on such a superior product. What can I say THEY ROCK!

The same goes for JE REEL Drivelines.They have been so good to me and done such a great job that I would recomend them to anyone.They built drivelines for my FJ 40 as well and everything has been perfect!

Not to be out done is TRD Parts4U.The supercharger and all related components were easily installed and all I can say is that Mad Dog is alot faster.I know that there is alot of discussion about the different kind of Super chargers and which ones are the best for the 4.0 engine and I really do believe that this is the best one for us. I am not going to go into all of the Dyno #'s because they would be scewed from all of the other mods which drive the #'s up substantially and I wouldnt want anyone else to have unrealistic expectations. I can tell you that this thing is fast!

New batery location behind the passenger seat

New shifter set up,no reverse lock out.also clears the Atlas shifters better, I still want to offset the T case shifters away from each other so that my hands dont hit when shifting.

Last edited by Mad Dog 1; 12-16-2011 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 157534
Looking good Jeff.
tacoabuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 188478
Damn, did you get a brand new Atlas (I know you already had one)? Mine is less than a year old and looks WAY older than yours.

I like the look of the REEL. I think FJLED was looking at that same CV style driveline on his beast.

Finally, the TRDParts4U guys are great. Jacque, Barb and Steve are good people. I have bought plenty from them and I will probably be buying my supercharger from them as well.
Hornsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #32 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 142241
I'd loose that forward cup holder and move the 2wd/4wd over there and put some space between the 2 range shifters.

Looking real good Jeff!
Old 12-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 129263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornsfan View Post
Damn, did you get a brand new Atlas (I know you already had one)? Mine is less than a year old and looks WAY older than yours.

I like the look of the REEL. I think FJLED was looking at that same CV style driveline on his beast.

Finally, the TRDParts4U guys are great. Jacque, Barb and Steve are good people. I have bought plenty from them and I will probably be buying my supercharger from them as well.
I sent it back to Advanced to get a new input to match the tranny and they sent it back looking like this.

Works best for maximum droop. JE Reel will help you with the measurements and make what ever you need.

As I said the SC install was realativly easy compared to some of the others out there especially when it comes to the cooler.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:29 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 129263
Quote:
Originally Posted by plnfixr320 View Post
I'd loose that forward cup holder and move the 2wd/4wd over there and put some space between the 2 range shifters.

Looking real good Jeff!
That is pretty much what I was thinking but then I a'm not sure where I will put my drink.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #35 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 142241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog 1 View Post
That is pretty much what I was thinking but then I a'm not sure where I will put my drink.
No need for cup holders in a race car, just put an extra one in the 40

Last edited by plnfixr320; 12-05-2011 at 09:37 AM. Reason: "sphelling"
plnfixr320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #36 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 146172
Send a message via AIM to SiRMarlon
Looking really good Jeff!

"Like" us on Facebook! - https://www.facebook.com/SiRMarlon.Photography
SiRMarlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:41 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 195104
Sweet build, should be a real contender for sure!

Why'd you opt for the Atlas over a stock twin-sticked T-Case with a crawler?
theduck911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:24 PM   #38 (permalink)
"ehh...you got that"

Member # 126355
Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck911 View Post
Sweet build, should be a real contender for sure!

Why'd you opt for the Atlas over a stock twin-sticked T-Case with a crawler?
I would ASSume that it was because lefty's suck and make too much gear chatter as it is, and the Atlas brings much more beef to the table, not to mention more gearing options.

91 Xcab--4D's, chromo 60's, locked, TR's, Now receiving a facelift with Links, a cammed 5.3 with z06 goodies, built 700r4, and 2spd Stak
scottapher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 177190
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottapher View Post
I would ASSume that it was because lefty's suck and make too much gear chatter as it is, and the Atlas brings much more beef to the table, not to mention more gearing options.
Depends on what gears are being run in the lefty. I do agree that Trail Gears or Marlin's XD series are not going to be the most suited for the FJC. 4320's should hold up much better along with 30 spline outputs. I had the prior which didn't last long with my heavy right foot. Later held up well and is now being run by another supercharged FJ. Gear chatter was never a major issue on any of the lefty cases I had. Now moved onto a blackbox + atlas...Don't have to modify the OEM gas tank with an atlas + crawlbox like you do with an OEM + crawlbox or dual lefty cases.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 195104
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottapher View Post
Quote:
Depends on what gears are being run in the lefty. I do agree that Trail Gears or Marlin's XD series are not going to be the most suited for the FJC. 4320's should hold up much better along with 30 spline outputs. I had the prior which didn't last long with my heavy right foot. Later held up well and is now being run by another supercharged FJ. Gear chatter was never a major issue on any of the lefty cases I had. Now moved onto a blackbox + atlas...Don't have to modify the OEM gas tank with an atlas + crawlbox like you do with an OEM + crawlbox or dual lefty cases.
Interesting, obviously the fitment is different for fitting in a Crawlbox into a FJC vs Tacoma.

Just curious as I've been contemplating switching in a FJC T-Case (Twin-Sticked) + Marlin Crawlbox into my Tacoma to get a better range of gears (there are a few on the Toyota Forums who have done this) and wondered the advantages of the Atlas vs this setup. Switching in the FJC T-Case eliminates the Electronic actuator that the Tacoma T-Case has, which easily malfunctions.

So you (FJLED) are running a Atlas 2-Spd paired with a black-box instead of 4-Spd Atlas?

Last edited by theduck911; 12-27-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 177190
Quote:
Interesting, obviously the fitment is different for fitting in a Crawlbox into a FJC vs Tacoma.
Can't say as I've never dealt with one in a Taco first hand. Give Wyatt at rocksolidtoys a call or Marlin and they can give you the run down on the FJC TC + crawlbox or lefty setups.

Quote:
Just curious as I've been contemplating switching in a FJC T-Case (Twin-Sticked) + Marlin Crawlbox into my Tacoma to get a better range of gears (there are a few on the Toyota Forums who have done this) and wondered the advantages of the Atlas vs this setup. Switching in the FJC T-Case eliminates the Electronic actuator that the Tacoma T-Case has, which easily malfunctions.
The OEM FJ chain case is pretty beefy and I've yet to hear of folks breaking them. For the FJ you can't fit a crawlbox & OEM case without modifying your OEM gas tank. So far I've only seen folks melt them a bit and push them in rather than running a custom tank...not really the safest solution. As such most FJ folks either run a single lefty or atlas or a 4 speed setup that doesn't require gas tank modifications.

The early lefty's had quite a few issues. Under sized output shafts and quite a few issues with TG's 4lo gear setup lasting (and noisy). Marlin's xd series broke on mine. In order to have a lefty that is suited for the weight and power these late models produce I'd really suggest running 30 spline outputs and 4320 low gear sets (23 splines). For the additional cost (couple hundred) you are getting a significantly stronger gear set. Honestly the lefty is a fairly clever design (packaging). It fairly easy to clock the lefty setup to fit within the drivetrain tunnel and sit above the frame rails.

On the other hand you have an Atlas, which while not as elegant makes up for it with a larger gear set (inherent strength). With the additional size and strength comes additional weight...Atlas 2 is nearly 50lbs heavier than a lefty. Folks tend to build a tail shaft support in addition to the basic crossmember for the additional weight. Unless you chop out your drivetrain tunnel it will hang low below the frame rails. Modifying the tunnel you can and clocking the case you can get it above the frame rails. Atlas offers more gearing options and imo they've been more tested in setups that weigh near and run similar (or more) HP than than the newer yotas. See em used in the majority of competition vehicles. Haven't ridden around with mine yet, but from what I've heard the Atlas 2 is supposed to be quite quiet which is defenitely to be appreciated in a daily driver.

Summary: Lefty - bolt on option that can be reliable (properly setup) and be raised above the frame rail
Atlas - bolt on (FJC at least...I'm sure a taco interface plate is available), strong and reliable, need to brake out the sawzall to get it above the frame rails. Also will probably need to modify your driveshafts.

Each has their suited users for these newer yotas. Lefty is more suited for those who just want to bolt on lower gearing and gain some ground clearance. Atlas is going to be more robust (setup properly), but require some sheet metal modifications to buy you ground clearance. Mad Dog's build and mine illustrate what needs to be done on an FJ to do so...guessing a taco's similar.

Quote:
So you (FJLED) are running a Atlas 2-Spd paired with a black-box instead of 4-Spd Atlas?
Yes that is correct Atlas 2 + i-blackbox fron NWF.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:32 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 195104
Quote:
Can't say as I've never dealt with one in a Taco first hand. Give Wyatt at rocksolidtoys a call or Marlin and they can give you the run down on the FJC TC + crawlbox or lefty setups.

The OEM FJ chain case is pretty beefy and I've yet to hear of folks breaking them. For the FJ you can't fit a crawlbox & OEM case without modifying your OEM gas tank. So far I've only seen folks melt them a bit and push them in rather than running a custom tank...not really the safest solution. As such most FJ folks either run a single lefty or atlas or a 4 speed setup that doesn't require gas tank modifications.

The early lefty's had quite a few issues. Under sized output shafts and quite a few issues with TG's 4lo gear setup lasting (and noisy). Marlin's xd series broke on mine. In order to have a lefty that is suited for the weight and power these late models produce I'd really suggest running 30 spline outputs and 4320 low gear sets (23 splines). For the additional cost (couple hundred) you are getting a significantly stronger gear set. Honestly the lefty is a fairly clever design (packaging). It fairly easy to clock the lefty setup to fit within the drivetrain tunnel and sit above the frame rails.

On the other hand you have an Atlas, which while not as elegant makes up for it with a larger gear set (inherent strength). With the additional size and strength comes additional weight...Atlas 2 is nearly 50lbs heavier than a lefty. Folks tend to build a tail shaft support in addition to the basic crossmember for the additional weight. Unless you chop out your drivetrain tunnel it will hang low below the frame rails. Modifying the tunnel you can and clocking the case you can get it above the frame rails. Atlas offers more gearing options and imo they've been more tested in setups that weigh near and run similar (or more) HP than than the newer yotas. See em used in the majority of competition vehicles. Haven't ridden around with mine yet, but from what I've heard the Atlas 2 is supposed to be quite quiet which is defenitely to be appreciated in a daily driver.

Summary: Lefty - bolt on option that can be reliable (properly setup) and be raised above the frame rail
Atlas - bolt on (FJC at least...I'm sure a taco interface plate is available), strong and reliable, need to brake out the sawzall to get it above the frame rails. Also will probably need to modify your driveshafts.

Each has their suited users for these newer yotas. Lefty is more suited for those who just want to bolt on lower gearing and gain some ground clearance. Atlas is going to be more robust (setup properly), but require some sheet metal modifications to buy you ground clearance. Mad Dog's build and mine illustrate what needs to be done on an FJ to do so...guessing a taco's similar.

Yes that is correct Atlas 2 + i-blackbox fron NWF.
Yeah, I've spoken with Wyatt, just figured I'd hear it from an FJ guy would already had the T-case from the beginning.

I was unaware of the gas tank fitment issues with the FJC and the Crawlbox. The Lefty of what I've read is more suited to my needs, an avid/weekend wheeler, looking for a more bolt-on lower-gearing range and slightly more ground clearance.

I have yet to find a newer (05+ Taco) that has had an Atlas installed. Even Wyatt is running the FJC T-Case + Crawlbox.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 129263
I think that says it all and more. I hope to update the build this week. Very busy through the holidays and got caught up rebuilding a TH 350 for the 40.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 129263
Update

Happy New Year!

Some one tried to steal my Super Duty over the holliday luckily the anti theft kept them from starting it but they di rip out the door lock and the ignition and they stole my camera so I found this cheap one that some one gave me and so these pictures suck.

We recieved our new MasterCraft seats and tied tubing into the frame got the seats welded in. These seats are great and it just feels alot safer when you are sitting in them.

Metal Tech Tube doors are going to give us some much needed visability.

We tied the front shock mounts back into the main cage and the frame and will connect them from side to side in front of the engine. It is a pretty tight fit but the tripple bypass and coil overs cycle nicely.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #45 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 146172
Send a message via AIM to SiRMarlon
You'll be able to fly right over those whoops now Jeff! Make sure you get your trailer checked over this time so you won't have issues with it like you have the past 2 years! LOL!

"Like" us on Facebook! - https://www.facebook.com/SiRMarlon.Photography
SiRMarlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #46 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 146603
I just got a Toyota 4wd Owner Mag with this in it!

-Alex

http://www.MasterPull.com
-- Recovery Gear of the 10 and 11 Griffin KOH -- Official Recovery Gear of Cal-Neva Extreme and Area BFE in Moab
Master-Pull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 129263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Pull View Post
I just got a Toyota 4wd Owner Mag with this in it!

-Alex
Ha HA , I havent seen it yet!
Old 01-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 129263
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiRMarlon View Post
You'll be able to fly right over those whoops now Jeff! Make sure you get your trailer checked over this time so you won't have issues with it like you have the past 2 years! LOL!
Well, I have been a little more stressed since I found out the LCQ is only 3 miles. That means only one rock trail that has to be within a mile or so of the lake bed that means that most likely the trail will be failry easy considering what is available that close and it probably wont be back door due to time restraints, This puts us at a disadvantage because I think we would do better in the rocks and we wont be able to go as fast as most in the desert. I'm not sure about the woops we will encounter but they could help us some because you can only hit them so fast.

I think we will do good in the woops but there is alot of comp and 3 miles is not really enough to show what you or your car is made of. with all of this in mind I would consider running a smaller tire for the LCQ and if we qualify change back to the 40's for the race. Really wish I knew the coarse but of coarse so does every one else!

I'm getting stoked!
Old 01-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 207239
I love this build! Any more pics of the Atlas install? I'm wondering about any tunnel modifications you had to make, if you're inclined to share.
FJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:02 AM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 177190
From my thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave@JaviersAutos View Post
Here we are getting the NW BlackBox and Atlas in a happy spot. Trying to acheive a flat belly, or as close as possible. You can see that the Atlas is pretty intrusive on the seat mount, but it shouldn't hold us back too much. After I rebuild the floor section, I will build a new tab to mount the front of the seat slider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog 1 View Post
Looks Familiar