Buying advice - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - FJ Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 118558
Buying advice

My wife and I are in the market for a FJ Cruiser. I was curious if you guys who own and have experience with them had any advice for purchasing a used one.

Are there areas that I need to look at? Is there anything that you don't like or anything you can't live without?

Thanks
Josh
Old 02-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 177190
Things to be cognizant of are fender buldges or tears on the inner fender apron, issues with the rear gear sets in the early 07 models, throw out bearing seems to be a common replacement for the manual folks. Of the top of my head thats all I've got. Visibility isn't great, but it could be worse.

Run Dog is currently selling a SAC FJC for a decent price if thats of interest to you.
FJLED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 118558
As much as I'd love to have another vehicle to wheel, this one is being bought for my wife. She likes vehicles that are outside the box (her car now is a MINI) but she wants a little more room.

She's latched on to the "I like the way it looks" idea, so I'm going to find one that fits what I want in an offroad vehicle and get her what she wants. She's happy as long as it's the right color.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 25798
as stated above, early 07 models had rear diff issues. Fender bulges are an issue, but if you get a newer model 09+ they should have been addressed.

The major differences happened in 2010.

the 2010 came with a rear view camera (cool, but not necessary)
larger rear diff (8.2" v. 8")
and the engine was tweaked to have 20 more HP (but the torque numbers are slightly lower than the 07-09 models, so itsa wash imo)

My 2010 is a 4wd with locker, atrac, skids, sliders, sub etc... and if I drove the speed limit, my AVG (not highway) mileage was 21.5 MPG. Which is pretty darn good for a midsize suv on 32s.

This is just pure speculation/my experience, but I hate the auto transmission. I think it started in 2010, but I have seen alot of complaints concerning gear hunting and torque convertor issues.

Aside from that, I love it. can fit 33's with zero modifications, the stereo is solid for an OEM set up, and so far if I point it somewhere, it will go there. Now you arent gonna run the hammers in it, but with a good spotter, its a pretty capable little rig.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 118558
That's awesome, thanks.

We're looking in the 2010 range. I'm trying to keep it under $30k, since her trade in is worth 9 or 10.

I've seen a few 2010/11/12's with manual trannies, but it seems like a very very rare dealer order thing.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 171538
Whats the fender bulge mean? Does that mean the front clip is getting ready to fall off or something? A good friend of mine just bought an 07 and loves it, it has a selectable rear locker which I thought was cool and a 3in lift and since he's from a non offroading background (he's kind of a yuppie hahaha)I thought this would be a good start for him. When he told me he was interested in buying one of these I thought Mehhhh but then said "yeah of course you should get one". He told me that he pulled an offer away from a guy because it had the inner fender issue. So again, What's up with that?
rcp916 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 25798
I have yet to see anyone actually lose a fender or the front end, but maybe I just haven't looked hard enough yet!

From what I have seen is that the inner fender under the hood on both sides can develop a "bulge" and even in extreme cases can turn into a tear. It is a very weird phenomenon though. Some ppl beat down on their rigs and never have an issue. Others just go poke around offroad maybe wheel hard once or twice and then develop the fender bulges.

It also doesn't appear to be a set build time frame, just kinda all over the board. I think it was in 09' they started to reinforce them, but it could have been 10', I just dont know for sure.

I am sure Fjess and Chris (*%&^#$ or whatever he is now ) have more knowledge on the subject. I bought a 2010 so I wouldn't have to deal with it haha
Old 03-29-2012, 06:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 177190
2010's have had cracks as well, just fewer.
FJLED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 118558
Thanks to you guys who are offering advice. As much as she wants one, we found out last month that she's pregnant with our 3rd, so we're expanding our search into vehicles that fit 3 car seats.

I'm going to the dealership with 3 seats though. I bet I can fit them in there

Last edited by redheep; 04-20-2012 at 09:40 AM.
redheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 207239
Congratulations on the (soon to be) new arrival! I don't have any kids, but have heard from friends with them that sitting in the back seat isn't a lot of fun in the FJC. No opening windows, limited visibility (like sitting in a cave), etc.
FJess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 12:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
DWH

Member # 215727
Quote:
Originally Posted by redheep View Post
Thanks to you guys who are offering advice. As much as she wants one, we found out last month that she's pregnant with our 3rd, so we're expanding our search into vehicles that fit 3 car seats.

I'm going to the dealership with 3 seats though. I bet I can fit them in there
They fit, trust me. I sold my 2001 Tacoma for the FJ as it is wider. I will tell you that it is a PITA to get to the child seats in the back to buckle the kids in.

My boys are 10, 8 & 8 and they can do it themselves now. So it is not an issue anymore.

The biggest pain now is in parking lots. The way the doors open, you get trapped between the FJ and any cars parked next to you. You will learn to live with it.
DWH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 118558
I would learn to live with it but I'm not sure the wife wants to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.