Trophy FJ Build - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - FJ Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2017, 03:35 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 684786
6.2L of fury about to make its new home in the FJ.....now the real work begins. Time to get creative...

Gone is the stock framerail forward of the firewall. Designed new framerails in solidworks (3wall) as this is so much easier than working around teh stock framerail....cutting off all the brakets, cleaning it etc....

Then since the frame rail is in solidworks easy to keep modeling the crossmember abd laying everything out etc, etc, To say Jordan @Dertco is doing an amazing job is an understatement.

The crossmember might change a bit once I make the Engine plate and he finds a final position for the motor.

For now 550 (ish) horsepower sits quietly waiting it's turn.

TrophyFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2017, 03:51 PM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 684786
37's + uptravel means it was time to break out the sawzall and the plasmacutter. Gone os most of the rear end sheet metal and some of the quarter. Still keeping the framerail but putting a nice notch in there...... so pretty much #backhalfed . Trailer Products fiberglass (Race version/no gas cap) flares will be going over what's left of the side sheet. Not going be your ordinary FJ, not by a mile.....

DELETE !!

Gone is the front body mount (that most have to "chop" to fit large tires) The A-pillar cage downtube now comes down and got boxed into the frame. Providing a super solid foundation for the cage....not to mention nice solid connection to the body.

My wheelbase will be extended from stock, we stretching it as far as it will go in either direction and even with 37's they shouldn't come very close to this area anymore.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2017, 08:53 AM   #53 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 202363
This thing is looking good. Keep it up.
zuzu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 03:12 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 650161
Glad to see your project is still alive. Looking very impressive. Good luck hope it turns out better than you expected.
telewacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2017, 12:24 AM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 684786
Merry Christmas..... to me. The Kings are in....

14" stroke (front) King 2.5 coilovers with Finned reservoirs and 2.5" bumps !! More pieces to the puzzle

Rears are 16" King 2.5 coilovers with Finned reservoirs

and

18" King 3.5 7 tube bypasses. These freaking things are HUGE. The picture dont do it justice.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 10249
Cool build.

Sucks you have to start over with the suspension links.

On the old setup the short upper links and crazy long lower links looked like it would be an issue for the drive shaft. My guess was 16in of vertical travel before it would bind.

Your new drivetrain parts are bad ass but its a long setup on a short wheelbase.

Make sure they plan out your drive shaft. You might only get 16-18in of travel, You want to use all stages of the bypass tubes, you do not want to only use half of the shock travel and strap it. Might have to step down to a 10in shock if you stick with the huge motion ratio trailing arms.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AZ Undertaker
ashmanjeepXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2017, 08:17 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 684786
Thanks for all the messages guys...keeps me going.

I'm going make this happen, and this truck going make me so many more memories for years to come.

I dont think there is a price I would sell it for, honestly.....means that much to me....

I think it's time for an update right?

So....

Jordan designed the "mid plate" so we can finally mount the drivetrain and get this build going.... He designed it in solidworks and since I own my own machining business (cinemilled.com) I can contribute and machine it myself on one of our Haas CNC machines.

Here is a quick video of the mount in our computer as we started to convert the file and write the "machine" file so we could actually cut it in the CNC machine....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdHYMJBXAqU

Then.... not too long after....

From solidworks computer file to reality.... I love to see parts to life in my CNC machine.....spent my birthday last week turning the design into this beautiful part. We have a laser engraving machine now at the company and so I had some fun and put the finishing touches on this part that no one will probably ever see again....but I know it's there.

I think it's dead sexy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJRoUdfaX0w

Since I own the CNC machines/shop....this whole exercise only cost me like $10 in aluminium...you can bet we will be making a few more CNC parts for my build.... stay tuned...

Last edited by TrophyFJ; 05-05-2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:41 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 684786
Jordan doing his thing on my rear 10.5 Tundra housing. Previous truss work from the other shop was not going to cut it, so it's gone. We cut it all off.

New one coming together nicely, done properly now...4130 all the way now...

Old 05-09-2017, 01:37 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 684786
The TTB ford beams starting to get the @Dertco treatment. ...

I wish I could weld like this....

Yup, TTB beams on an FJ, it's happening.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:42 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 684786
My slightly modified FJ... wonder what is hiding under there? Wanna take a look? ....

It's almost a shame we have to cover it up... Culhane built 4L80e and the Atlas transfer case ....

Super cool to see the mid plate now mounted up and doing its job, yes this means the motor and tranny are finally in....

Old 05-09-2017, 01:46 PM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 684786
The engine and beams are in! If it looks like a lot of uptravel, it's because there is. More uptravel than most FJ's have in total!

The benefits of @Dertco not compromising and putting things were he wants. The frame rails, crossmember and mounting points have been put in the best place possible to give us a good balance between ride height, uptravel and suspension geometry. First #tuckedtuesday of many ..... now onto radius arms, engine cage and shock mounts etc.....super stoked to finally see it really start to come together. RCV axles giving me the strength and angles needed to make this 4wd travel actually usable......

Old 05-20-2017, 08:52 AM   #62 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 15032
Looking sick! Keep it coming with the pics.

any chance Jordan would have files for that Tundra rear truss and want to sell a WIY truss?
Old 06-10-2017, 11:11 AM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 87584
insane build, hope its not dead again. i wanna see this thing done with footage of it blasting through the desert.
FLTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.