FJ for stock mod. IFS ? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - FJ Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2007, 05:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 30064
FJ for stock mod. IFS ?

wondering how hard you guys and gals are wheeling your FJ's I'm thinking about running my 07 FJ in stock mod class next year. I want to keep the IFS but i am worried. Wondering if it will hold up.

Thanks for any info
#421 TEAM DIGGER
2009 Driver- Giles Verheecke
2009 Spotter and driver- Chris Endres

Team Digger web site now up www.teamdigger.com

RROCK and WE-ROCK competitor

Sponsored by : Digger Customs, Cooper tires, CTR Automotive, Napa , and Branik Motorsports
unimog12chicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 63828
You should give Jon Bundrant a call at All Pro 951-658-7077. He knows a thing or two about IFS vs solid axle, and wheels his FJ pretty hard, plus he's competed before, and could give you some input.

I'm certainly no mechanic, but I believe the solid axle has better articulation and strength, and would be a good investment.

Good luck with it! You'll probably get a lot of attention, as I think a lot of people would be curious to see how an 07 street legal vehicle, that they could run down an buy at a dealership, would perform.

Last edited by Spotter's Wife; 05-22-2007 at 09:05 AM.
Spotter's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2007, 10:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 87
Send a message via AIM to GRMhick
The problem with going to a solid axle, is that you loose the ATRAC system, which is key to making this truck go where it does. No ifs ever likes rockcrawling, but this one is going to take it better than just about any other on the market. You advantage in running the FJ is being able to pull lines that you wouldnt be able to grab in a truck with lockers front and rear.

We had 125 people drive 2 of our FJ's at an r rock event a few weekends ago, including over a rock section. They are still holding up. Last week we ran them up lower 2 at tellico, and now Im in a hotel, on my way up to Rousch Creek. They take this abuse and more. I think you will have minimal problems running the FJ.
GRMhick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 30064
Yes i know i drove one for the second time at the Rrock event and i went home and bought one. I will be back in hannibal this weekend for she rock. I will be towing my buggy down with the FJ
#421 TEAM DIGGER

Sponsored by : Digger Customs, Cooper tires, CTR Automotive, Napa , and Branik Motorsports
Old 05-23-2007, 07:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by unimog12chicks View Post
Yes i know i drove one for the second time at the Rrock event and i went home and bought one. I will be back in hannibal this weekend for she rock. I will be towing my buggy down with the FJ

Nice!!!
Old 05-26-2007, 01:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 15372
Send a message via AIM to Slowerthanu
I don't know, I'm not a big fan of Atrac. I have wheeled my mothers FJ all over Moab (they live there) and I tend to shut it off and do my own thing.

I do love the drive by wire throttle though.

"Just remember, you are unique............Just like everybody else!"
Slowerthanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
4xdork

Member # 3263
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRMhick View Post
The problem with going to a solid axle, is that you loose the ATRAC system, which is key to making this truck go where it does.
yes but if you put in a solid axle you could install a locking differential and then not need ATRAC

GRMhick,
do the fj's you guys do demo's with have front lockers or are they stock? also what is the toyota answer for why they didn't put a locker up front?
ARMY TRUCK STOLEN!
fcfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 87
Our FJ's are no different than what you see off the showroom floor. We only use the a-trac system. No front lockers (but there is a rear locker we never use). In many situations the a-trac will take the truck farther up the trail than lockers front and rear.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 90984
Quote:
Our FJ's are no different than what you see off the showroom floor. We only use the a-trac system. No front lockers (but there is a rear locker we never use). In many situations the a-trac will take the truck farther up the trail than lockers front and rear.

My experience EXACTLY... the rear locker is nice to have but I have rarely used it.

[COLOR="silver"][B][U]Titanium AT5 FJC:[/U][/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Silver"]Railed, Skidded, Hankook Dynapro MT RT03 285/70/17s, DRs Front, OME 895 Rear w/DR Shocks, S/S Brake Lines, ExtremeAire, CO2, 10lb Fire Ext, GPSMap 60Cx, ScanGuage II, Cobra 75 WX ST, Bandi w/4' Firefly, iPod Mount, DVD, Cluster Camera Mount, Cargo Barrier[/COLOR]
FJ-Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1088
Im curious as to why the atrac system would get a vehicle farther than 2 lockers. Either way best case is 4 tires propelling the vehicle.

Diamond Axle
http://www.diamondaxle.com

Diamond axled buggies take 2 1st's, at Worlds WEROCK!!

Front Range Off-Road Fab with NEW forum!
http://www.frontrangeoffroadfab.com

NEW BUILD FTOY #44
/forum/toyota-formula-toy-forum/562295-front-range-builds-new-toy-old-toy-44-a.html
Brian Ellinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 79221
Quote:
In many situations the a-trac will take the truck farther up the trail than lockers front and rear.
Name one.........

I'm not going to knock the A-trac, but I have seen it work and its less than stellar compared to a true locking differential. It works better than a limited slip, but lets not get carried away.
AddictedOffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:32 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 30064
I have been using Atrac for a little while now. There are some places that i think it will perform better. just because it slows the wheels enough to alow them to regrab traction. Sandy, snowy or lose dirt hill climbs. But as far as any obstical that somthing that the tires have to climb up like rocks. The Atrac takes 2 long to engage. Also any time the tire is realy loaded the atrac does not have enough hold. The tire will just chatter and not spin. It works ok but in the rocks nothing can out perform a locked axle.

Thats why my ARB should be here today!!
#421 TEAM DIGGER

Old 06-23-2007, 09:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 77245
Send a message via AIM to PizzaFarno
This is really a pretty simple question to be answered. If you are worried about braking your ifs, switch to a solid axle. I really dont see any advantages to Ifs, and many for the solid axle. I know some people who just keep running ifs and breaking it, and fixing it, and treating it like a baby and just keep band-aiding it.
PizzaFarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:23 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 30064
Nope I never just fix anything when it comes to my rigs. If it breaks I make it better,faster,stronger. I never like having the same things break Twice. Thats why im running 406 unimogs Have had no axle related issues since. Well if you call removing it from the rig with out tools. Axle was OK. But this year I was hoping to show the pepole what there FJ will do with out spending a ton of money on it.

Right now its the most capable rig i have ever drove next to my buggy. If you are truly wheeling and not just out trying to break shit, It will just amaze people!! Its still a new rig but i have wheeled it pretty hard already. Well shit i would have never tried some of the stuff i have run our FJ on. In my small block, streight axle S10 blazer. Dane 44 front and shaved 60 in the rear.detoit lockers, and 488 and 35 bfg's.
#421 TEAM DIGGER

Old 06-26-2007, 02:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
Quote:
wondering how hard you guys and gals are wheeling your FJ's I'm thinking about running my 07 FJ in stock mod class next year. I want to keep the IFS but i am worried. Wondering if it will hold up.

Thanks for any info
stock mod in what sanction? what sport? rockcrawling or mudding?

i hope you arent considering werock. that would just be plain stupid.

i think it would be great if jon or someone would fork out the cash for a fj stock mod rig. but the first thing to go would be the IFS and replaced with a 9 or 60. then the tcase would go in place of an atlas or the like. mabey replace the engine and tranny as well. throw in some arb's and cutting brakes, then knock out all the glass and so forth. it would be sweet lookin and very mareketable rig.
a2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:34 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 30064
Will Be running Rrock with it next year (which is not any easier). thinking about the Inchworm Tcase. i think thats the name. ARB is already in the front w/4.56 gears. Because i do alot of towing with it. High 9 in the rear first. In the thoughts of keeping it IFS. it won't be a stock lookig rig as soon as the IFS is removed. Really trying to keep more towards the stock side of things. Plus I drive this thing everyday. Jon didn't hand out money. But he steped up to the plate and helped me out a bunch.Thanks to Jon a ALL-PRO OFFROAD. I will post some pics after i get all my stickers on. About a week.
#421 TEAM DIGGER

Old 06-26-2007, 04:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
Pissing Excellence

Member # 517
Send a message via ICQ to Sillyneck Send a message via AIM to Sillyneck Send a message via Yahoo to Sillyneck
yea the a-trac can suck it
Attached Images

Off Road Warehouse
MJ Motorsports
Yukon
Ruffstuff
Driveline Service Sacramento
Wrap Concept
Barnes Welding Supply Sacramento
Sillyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
Quote:
Will Be running Rrock with it next year (which is not any easier). thinking about the Inchworm Tcase. i think thats the name. ARB is already in the front w/4.56 gears. Because i do alot of towing with it. High 9 in the rear first. In the thoughts of keeping it IFS. it won't be a stock lookig rig as soon as the IFS is removed. Really trying to keep more towards the stock side of things. Plus I drive this thing everyday. Jon didn't hand out money. But he steped up to the plate and helped me out a bunch.Thanks to Jon a ALL-PRO OFFROAD. I will post some pics after i get all my stickers on. About a week.
right on!!! who's disconnect are you using? are you going to use a toy front? or 9 or 60?...
a2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:07 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 84124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyneck View Post
yea the a-trac can suck it
Nice! When is she gonna roll again?
sbechtold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
Pissing Excellence

Member # 517
Send a message via ICQ to Sillyneck Send a message via AIM to Sillyneck Send a message via Yahoo to Sillyneck
a couple weeks.. i'm still trying to finish a big f450 link up. Should have been done w/ that 2 weeks ago... thank ford for putting everything in the worst possible places
Off Road Warehouse
MJ Motorsports
Yukon
Ruffstuff
Driveline Service Sacramento
Wrap Concept
Barnes Welding Supply Sacramento
Sillyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:40 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 17816
Quote:
The problem with going to a solid axle, is that you loose the ATRAC system,
Not all FJs have ATRAC, I don't (I didn't buy an of the upgrade packages). But I did get the rear locker.
wgjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:23 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 77683
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgjeep View Post
Not all FJs have ATRAC, I don't (I didn't buy an of the upgrade packages). But I did get the rear locker.
If you have the rear locker, you can buy a $50 switch and then you will have ATRACK. That's all it takes.
mbisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 13698
I'm already thinking that when mine has done it's duty as a tow rig and grocery getter it will get a solid axle thrown under the front. As far as still maintaining the Atrac with a solid axle swap I had some ideas....while still keeping it somewhat Toyota.

Run a custom axle housing like a Diamond so the width remains the same. I thought about just running a mini truck front but it might not be wide enough.

Run Longfield birfs and custom cut/splined inners.

Use the factory FJ 80 hi pinion electric locker in the pumpkin and add another switch to the dash.

Run FJ 80 knuckles with the ABS sensor in the knuckles, or figure out a way to attach the sensor ring to the hub and fab a pickup on the caliper mount...that way you could run six shooter knuckles and go hydro steer

I figure you could retain the ABS, use the Atrac, or lock up both axles when needed. You get the best of all worlds.

Someone with more money and Fab facilities is bound to set this up at some point in the future. A kit would be sweet, I know there would be takers.

Last edited by 12_Volt_Dave; 07-01-2007 at 12:50 PM.
12_Volt_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:49 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 13698
Quote:

Thanks for any info
...back to your original question.

These are personal experiences of my own as well as those at the FJCruiser Forum....

The lower rear links won't take the abuse. definitely upgrade those.

Relocate the brake lines so they don't get trashed from the rock crawling. One of the members on the Forum crushed the "T" block on the rear axles during a run to Hollister or Frank Raines (don't remember which...)

The rear ring and pinion has had some issues. My buddy broke his on a snow run ..go figure. There are others on the TTORA and FJ board with similar stories.

The stock front suspension might hold up for slow rock crawling, but don't do any pre running with it. I've already bent the sub frame and control arms. (according to the dealer) This was from playing on the sand dunes at the Hammers. I've done far worse in my 86 truck when it was still IFS and it laughed at the abuse. I don't think I ever got any air the whole time we were playing. The stock suspension does not allow enough up travel for any kind of high speed dune play. The stock tires will push up on the inner fender well and trash the body before the bump stops can do their thing. Get a lift kit right away.

Upgrade all of the skid plates, none of them are "rock crawler" ready as far as I'm concerned. It might not be a bad idea to fill in the hole on the lower control arm either. I had less than 5000 miles on mine before the CV boot was torn. I'm guessing it was a branch or something going through a water crossing. Crawl under the front and you'll see...the exhaust crossover is exposed as well.

If you go with bigger tires you'll need to modify the front body mounts right away. The larger tires will rub against them. There are a number of posts regarding the mod already.

I guess if you stack rocks like crazy and stick to crawling you might last a day or two in a comp environment. I hope some of this gets back to Toyota so they can make the changes in the next models.

Last edited by 12_Volt_Dave; 07-01-2007 at 01:03 PM.
12_Volt_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:59 AM   #25 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12_Volt_Dave View Post
Run FJ 80 knuckles with the ABS sensor in the knuckles, or figure out a way to attach the sensor ring to the hub and fab a pickup on the caliper mount...that way you could run six shooter knuckles and go hydro steer
The ABS sensor changed in aprox. 2004 from a sensor that reads at 3 mph and above, to one that reads at .7 mph and above (I dont have my spec manual in front of me, so those are just rough numbers that I think are correct). That is how atrac is able to work on the newer trucks, but wasn't an option to be made on older Toyota products.

So, in a nutshell, atrac will not work with an older 80 series ABS system.

And while I haven't found the axle yet, I would not be suprised if the newer style ABS system was installed on an overseas solid axle 100 series land cruiser.

Last edited by GRMhick; 07-02-2007 at 07:01 AM.