How big tires can be? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - FJ Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 04:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 90125
How big tires can be?

A friend of mine who own a fj want to know how big the tires can be before something break. He has 32 maxxis bighorn now but find that it's not enough for the trails we do.

So someone has broke some shafts? how big are your tires? What was the context of the breakage?
John 3:16
ob0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 100273
You could break axles with the stock wheels and tires. You could also break steering links, sway bar links, ring and pinion gears, and blow up transmissions.

True enough, you can make it easier to break some parts with different kinds of upgrades including larger tires, lower gears and locking differentials... but it all comes down to how you drive and what you choose to drive on/in.

Don't blame the parts for what the driver does with them.

[URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=649134"]Surgical precision with a BFH[/URL]
BellyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2008, 05:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 7797
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob0ne View Post
A friend of mine who own a fj want to know how big the tires can be before something break. He has 32 maxxis bighorn now but find that it's not enough for the trails we do.

So someone has broke some shafts? how big are your tires? What was the context of the breakage?
We've got a lot of customers running 35's with no problem. I have seen and heard of broken C.V's, broken tie rods and broken rear ring gears too, most of these with 35's. You could also break all these items with stock tires it all depends on how hard you use it. The larger the tire the more strain is put on the drivetrain and usually the larger the tire the more difficult of trail is attemped. It's a snowball effect for sure. Fortunately there are fixes and upgrades to your drivetrain for most of the common breaks.

JonB
Jon Bundrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 90125
Thanks Jon

The season barely begins and this week end he knucked the side of his truck on a tree, broking one «suicide door» window and ripping his other side mirror few minutes after. He now is thinking about reaparing it but I told him that if he would have equiped his rig correctly in the beginning he would have saved this repearing money. A bigger lift, bigger tires and body armor will probably come soon.

Pictures will probably come (I asked those who have taken some to send them to me).
John 3:16
ob0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 100273
JonB is being polite!

He watched me snap a CV axle on my FJ Cruiser and then towed my ass out! That was with 35's, lower gears... and yes... a front locker... engaged.

Then, to round out the rescue, he gave me a used CV axle that came out of his rig prior to the solid axle swap.

Jon's solid axle kit will be the standard for how to upgrade the FJC... just like his kits have been the standard for Toyota trucks and 4-Runners.

I'm pretty sure I came out as the example of "before" to your "after" on that solid axle swap, Jon... Are you drowning in orders yet?

[URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=649134"]Surgical precision with a BFH[/URL]
Old 05-12-2008, 03:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 7797
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellyDoc View Post
JonB is being polite!

He watched me snap a CV axle on my FJ Cruiser and then towed my ass out! That was with 35's, lower gears... and yes... a front locker... engaged.

Then, to round out the rescue, he gave me a used CV axle that came out of his rig prior to the solid axle swap.

Jon's solid axle kit will be the standard for how to upgrade the FJC... just like his kits have been the standard for Toyota trucks and 4-Runners.

I'm pretty sure I came out as the example of "before" to your "after" on that solid axle swap, Jon... Are you drowning in orders yet?
Thanks for the kind words Jon. I felt horrible when you broke on Clawhammer. I don't think the spotter could see how much of a bind your front end was in and I was just about to yell stop when the cv broke. I gave you the new axle to help out and be a nice guy, but the tow out behind my FJ40 that was all for the video buddy. Sorry.

JonB
Old 05-12-2008, 03:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 7921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Bundrant View Post
I don't think the spotter could see how much of a bind your front end was in and I was just about to yell stop when the cv broke.

JonB
I can tell ya right now that I watch it happen. That spotter is one of the best I have ever seen. You should send him to Colorado to spot, or break more junk.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 100273
Where the heck is that video?

I wanna see!!

Old 05-12-2008, 06:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 7797
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellyDoc View Post
Where the heck is that video?

I wanna see!!
I'm supposed to be getting the first copy this week to make look at and see if anything needs to be edited out, like me getting hung up on the first obstacle, I'm sure we don't need to see that.

Jonb