Toyota Oh What A Felling - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - FJ Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2008, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 107706
Toyota Oh What A Felling

Last Saturday I had more spot welds fail that hold outer fender to inner fender, think only thing holding outer fenders on are at the structure front doors hang off of.

And I was on a trail at slow speed one could drive in a Prius. As you know this rig has never been jumped or bottomed out.

Need to get rid of it - good luck on that with front clip falling off.

Also last night we decided to take the FJ to my B-Day dinner & 2nd time in a week dash is lit up like a xmas tree

Back to shop it goes again

Well Emptied the FJC & took it in for more repairs & have Darrell sheet metal screw the outer fender brackets back on. Service, check what codes its throwing again since dash is lighted up like a christmas tree again. ect.

Both sides sound like this plus front clip/frame flexes so much Its even breaking the top mounting tabs on the grill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIHk8zrjiNo
Old 12-05-2008, 04:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 114655
How many miles are on your f-j what codes is it setting.i work @ a toyota shop.
rocyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2008, 07:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 107706
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocyota View Post
How many miles are on your f-j what codes is it setting.i work @ a toyota shop.
24k miles - code last time was for left bank lean, don't have code # on me FJ is still in the shop. Will find out today if it's same code again.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 107706
Well I've been trying to find out since 15 Oct 07 if Toyota was going to fix my FJ & found out today. Toyota Corporate is Not going to back their product or honor the warranty on my FJ Cruiser - excuse is that it's lifted & it's a user issue not a product/design problem. Good luck with your FJ's & hell will freeze over before I buy another Toyota product.

My web page dedicated to the FJ Cruiser that I'm just starting. http://rides.webshots.com/album/569086712jgHQHb

Plus YouTube Video from yesterday. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIHk8zrjiNo
Old 12-05-2008, 04:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 114655
That sucks their not fixing it.what about check engine light.is this the dealer telling you they will not fix this or toyota corporate telling them without looking at it.ive wheeled with alot of fjs with lift kits and never seen that.
rocyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 107706
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocyota View Post
That sucks their not fixing it.what about check engine light.is this the dealer telling you they will not fix this or toyota corporate telling them without looking at it.ive wheeled with alot of fjs with lift kits and never seen that.
Looks like stock gas cap is going & causing codes, time will tell. Toyota Corp is not willing to fix it, not surprised from rumblings from others in the know.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 113213
Have you thought about a lawyer? Maybe getting a few written opinions from expert welders on the weld quality...? Might take some doing but could help you out in the long run. I too have had a minor issue with spot welds when the captive nut on my front sway bar broke off within a month of purchase, looked like there was barey even a tack holding the thing on.
calijetfxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 107706
Well mine is back in the shop & different dealer for xmas lights, rough running, odd shifting & hopefully inner fenders.

As for lawyers trying to take on TMC is like trying to take on GM in its glory days besides only one that wins in the end are the lawyers.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 5963
should have bought a jeep.

ha!
Old 12-10-2008, 09:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 107706
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniyota View Post
should have bought a jeep.

ha!
LOL

I have a Jeep just need to get her back on the road - /forum/jeep-non-hardcore/739478-1971-cj-6-a.html
Old 12-10-2008, 10:09 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 5963
i was thinking about getting an FJ next. i'm almost finished with my commander.

now i'm not so sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityFJC View Post
LOL

I have a Jeep just need to get her back on the road - http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=739478
Old 12-10-2008, 01:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 107706
Thumbs down

Update on mine - total BS on all counts - denied coverage on all issues - sincerely wish you good luck with yours.

Click on pic will take you to full size version.

ps: custom decals for F&R windows plus hood are ordered & shipped - thanks Tigger.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 38563
I kind of agree with the trouble codes and engine running rough scenario because those MAFs are very sensitive. Most of the reusable filters cause havoc on them. Hell, they don't like being driven on the street with an oem paper filter after 30-60k miles without being hit with some brake cleaner. But having mud in there is part of wheelin.

As far as having cracked fenders and broken spot welds, that is unacceptable. Regardless what size tire or vehicle use, the body should not fall apart. If the fenders haven't been hit or rubbed against anything, there is no reason for them to fail. As much of a yota nut as I am, just one more reason to not buy something new from them. They are getting to be sore vaginas just like the other auto manufacturers.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 41
What happened to Toyota? How many headgaskets did they change even though they were out of warranty? Probably hundreds of thousands, and that helped to buy them the reputation they have today. Sounds like they are pissing away that rep pretty quickly...
82FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 107706
Got my decals last Saturday & installed the back one. Below are suggestions

given for more decals by friends making fun of a bad situation.

"Honk if any parts fall off"

"Keep Back 500 Feet, My Front End Could Fall Off Any Minute"

"Feel my fender bulges"

"Feel my Bulges & Check Out my Cracks"

And this one is already installed.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 107706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro View Post
I kind of agree with the trouble codes and engine running rough scenario because those MAFs are very sensitive. Most of the reusable filters cause havoc on them. Hell, they don't like being driven on the street with an oem paper filter after 30-60k miles without being hit with some brake cleaner. But having mud in there is part of wheelin.

As far as having cracked fenders and broken spot welds, that is unacceptable. Regardless what size tire or vehicle use, the body should not fall apart. If the fenders haven't been hit or rubbed against anything, there is no reason for them to fail. As much of a yota nut as I am, just one more reason to not buy something new from them. They are getting to be sore vaginas just like the other auto manufacturers.
On the TRD CAI

Opened it up & filter was dirty on outside but looked like new inside, intake tube clean, sensor clean, throttle body clean! - no mud inside like I was told on the phone by dealer!

No signs that dealer did any more than open the cover to airbox & tell me I need to spend almost 500 bucks. cover was only finger tight & unless they redusted everything else on the outside thats all they did.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:52 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 52537
I hate to sound like a dick but I am with Mr. Toyota on this one. You pay to play, you mod your fj to fit bigger tires put a heavy front and rear bumper and you wonder why shit is falling off. And if you wanted a cruiser you should have bought a real fawking land cruiser, Go get a welder and start fixing the dam thing and keep up the maintenance every day on the trail.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 107706
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfox View Post
I hate to sound like a dick but I am with Mr. Toyota on this one. You pay to play, you mod your fj to fit bigger tires put a heavy front and rear bumper and you wonder why shit is falling off. And if you wanted a cruiser you should have bought a real fawking land cruiser, Go get a welder and start fixing the dam thing and keep up the maintenance every day on the trail.
Especially after owning one I don't consider a FJC a real cruiser. These problems are happening more to FJCs that are stock & never wheeled. I added very little weight & only went from 32s to 33s on my build. Yeah in hindsight I should of bought an 80 series but hey I didn't know any better back then.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 52537
I see your point about the fj it is not built like the old Toyota that's why I don't recommend them to people. The fj 80's are the last of good quality built Toyota's brought to the U.S.. All the others Toyota are built for U.S. market, If we can get the non u.s. market Toyota's here in the states they would put the domestic makers out of business.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 107706
The FJC has some major issues that aren't mod or user related, I really wish it lived up to the Iconic Land Cruiser 40-80 series but it falls short.

Having wheeled the last couple years with SNLC a club made up mostly of 40s 60s & 80s I now know better. I too wouldn't recommend any US spec LandCruiser after the 80 series the last great one sold her with live axle F&R.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:07 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 107706
Blog with videos dedicated to Floppy - http://worst4x4xfar.blogspot.com/
Old 01-14-2009, 05:30 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 30064
I have a 07 FJC, I have a custom built 4" lift, 34" tires and a ton of all-pro parts on it. It also has a custom ford 9" rearend in it!! Because i'm way to hard on it. However My rig has almost 40,000 miles on it. And don't get me wrong my parts list is a mile long!! But i tow 6000 lbs with it all the time and i wheel the crap out of it. I have had no problems with the front fenders. Thank god!!

But i agree you have to pay to play.
#421 TEAM DIGGER
2009 Driver- Giles Verheecke
2009 Spotter and driver- Chris Endres

Team Digger web site now up www.teamdigger.com

RROCK and WE-ROCK competitor

Sponsored by : Digger Customs, Cooper tires, CTR Automotive, Napa , and Branik Motorsports
unimog12chicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:20 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 107706
Are you referring to this from my blog:

"Needless to say Floppy who is less than two years old I now consider a beater.

This is due to loss of resale value from the following:

Inner fender bulges & cracks, whole front clip is shifting & out of alignment, failure of welds fixed with sheetmetal screws & fender washers, windshield again is toast, tough looking interior is cheap has aged very poorly, paint on these isn't very durable so mine is chipped & scratched, also waiting for defective ring gears to fail."

I didn't realize it at the time but floppy was a beater after only being 6 months old. If I knew then that Toyota was going to screw me I would of gotten rid of the FJ back then.

I have been wheeling since I was 3 & this is the only rig that has left me stranded. I just don't trust it anymore.

Once again I'll say all the major issue I've had with my FJ are NOT user or mod related but poor design or materials.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:48 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 27344
i never thought my 02 4wd burban was a real wheeler .i go on dirt roads and tow my 87 toy to wheel,thats about it.my 87 toy has all sorts of mods. and i still break it.no dis on you guys but when i go wheeling with a group there is always some on breaking something,always.and yaeh if i bought one of those i'd be pissed to.
the stinky truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:51 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 107706
Quote:
Originally Posted by the stinky truck View Post
i never thought my 02 4wd burban was a real wheeler .i go on dirt roads and tow my 87 toy to wheel,thats about it.my 87 toy has all sorts of mods. and i still break it.no dis on you guys but when i go wheeling with a group there is always some on breaking something,always.and yaeh if i bought one of those i'd be pissed to.
Thanks & my latest video in part is a result of my perils with Floppy my FJ Cruiser - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeS_uja4tXI

"This are Design & Materials Issues not User or Modification Issues"

Last edited by SinCityFJC; 01-25-2009 at 02:21 AM. Reason: added last line
SinCityFJC is offline   Reply With Quote