Pirate 4x4 banner

Wheres all of the FJ's

54K views 168 replies 42 participants last post by  hotsteel41 
#1 ·
Hey come on FJ Owners where are all of the FJ Posts? THey might have to get rid of this section if we dont start seeing some more action.Maybe your all on the mall shopping site looking for a parking stop to run over. LOL

See less See more
#79 ·
I totally missed this post Brent! I have got some of the kinks out of my junk now. Bump stops are on and like you said make a world of difference in daily driving. I got the new A/C compressor in the garage and hope to get it on this week. I should be confident in hitting a trail again soon!

#57 ·
Oh! That's got to be painful!

Trust me... when you get the right one, get a spare. :mad3:

BTW, I sure wish the SAS'd FJ Cruisers would have done build threads here on Pirate instead or along with the FJC Forums. It's not too late to do a summary thread for ANY of these.

I did that much for my 40, even though it added ZERO here other than entertainment value and maybe a bit of encouragement.

The reason I'd want detailed threads HERE is that THIS is where people come when they're hunting for that level of inspiration and experience to draw on.

A build thread on Pirate is like adding your book to the Library of Congress. It'll forever be available to the public after that.

#61 ·
Stored the axle in the garage for quite a while and when the wife spotted it she inquired what it was for. "It's going under the FJ" I said. She retorts sarcastically, " I suppose your jacking up Cherry,(her nickname) and putting some stupid big tires on?"
"kind of"
" great every time I see a rig like that I think the driver is compensating for something" she says hoping to deliver a blow to my ego.

I say," Well let's name Cherry the S.S. Compensator then" showing her I can shake off her best sarcasm and I'm 51 years old and don't give a rat's ass what people think anymore.

But I do want people to think it's cool. I guess it's my Harley Davidson.
I never looked good in chaps.
Larry

#62 ·
Stored the axle in the garage for quite a while and when the wife spotted it she inquired what it was for. "It's going under the FJ" I said. She retorts sarcastically, " I suppose your jacking up Cherry,(her nickname) and putting some stupid big tires on?"
"kind of"
" great every time I see a rig like that I think the driver is compensating for something" she says hoping to deliver a blow to my ego.

OK, this is getting away from " where did all the FJ's go..... Or... Maybr it isnt,this thing about the wife could explain where alot of the FJs have gone.

THat part about hiding the axle cracks me up, I deffinatly had a LOL moment. I dont know how many parts I have secretly purchased and hidden in my garage , even getting them installed without her knowing what was going on. I mean she wouldnt know that you installed a locker or any kind of suspension. Eventually Mad Dog got so messed up that she wouldnt even ride in it any more.

Well as far as the compensation part goes, it's deffinatly about EGO, I consider Mad DOg and my Super Duty as a giant Phalic symbol.

#65 ·
So you ask, "Where's the FJ's?"

Wanna help it happen?

Write a really good detailed and photo-documented thread about your SAS so that there's something to start with... and let the experience start to accumulate.

OUUUUCH !!!

OK, I am going to try to do this. I will tell all from the outset that I am not a technically minded person. I have had most of my work done by someone else and would never in a million years be able to do what you guys have done.You doing all of your own cutting, fabbing ,welding. etc.But having said that I do like a challenge and as you have said in prior posts, which I agree. something about doing the work yourself is a big part of the true spirit of 4 wheeling.
I found this out at KOH last year when I broke a shock mount and my hydro asssist and was forced to either fix it myself or not wheel any more that week. There was something very sattisfying about figureing out what needs to be done and finding all of the right parts and resources to complete the task yourself instead of just putting out enough money to get it done.

My build goes on and I hope to end up with something that I can run fast in the desert with ( 100mph) and still crawl through the rocks. Right now I am trying to make it safer because when you drive like that there is a great danger involved.

Thanks for the inspiration.

#70 · (Edited)
Where's the FJs?

This won't count for much, but I'm here.

Here to absorb, as I realize that any ground I've gained amounts to jack squat on these pages, and my knowledge, in comparison to those here, is comparable to knowing where to put air in the rubber things on the metal things that resemble circles that touch the ground.

Hoping that will change, as I don't foresee debates abounding about which spacer lift won't make the tires look small, or what's the best 20" wheel, how to add parking sensors to the front bumper, or if a mod voids the warranty. Therefore my participation will be limited.

To see the members from the blue room that account for 95% of technical suspension, or drivetrain proficiency, huddled in a corner here only solidifies the good decision for anonymity.

Regardless, I don't sense a welcoming committee, nor anticipate a "really like your color choice" type reply. Just a notification that I'm as ecstatic, as any bottom feeder, to be here.

#71 ·
Chris - glad you decided to sign up and explore PBB. Definitely a change of pace from the FJCforums, but thats a huge plus as bellydoc pointed out. You'll obtain much more technical information over here in a handful of threads than you can pick up on any of FJ forums. Definitely don't restrict yourself to surfing this subforum - venture through general discussion forum and have a read through the build threads there. All the information for the incredible buggy builds on here transitions directly over to your vehicle as well.

Soak it all in and enjoy, post as you see fit - and don't hesitate to ask questions where you see fit (here, newbie section, general). May get a "your and idiot" response here and there, but everyone starts somewhere (most folks realize this) and this is the place to be if you are truely looking to understand the technical aspects of building a vehicle - whether starting from scratch or with an purchased platforum like th FJ Cruiser.

#73 ·
銀チタン;13262700 said:
This won't count for much, but I'm here.

Seriously though, I am going to get more technical as I promised the Doc a few months ago I jusy havent had time yet.

By the way, what color is your FJ and do you have any cool stickers?
Assuming the technical aspect won't include the drag coefficient created by off road lighting, or confirming the rotational mass of steel wheels improves fuel efficiency, I'm anxiously awaiting the education.

FJ is 銀チタン, and I have the "Dubs" sticker, repping the 20"s and a lowrider.com sticker for the other forums I'm on.

Delancy

#76 ·
Haha, this stuff cracks me up. I enjoy both of the forums. Sometimes the blue room has some great recs on the non-off-road mods (such as stereos, cameras and RTTs); however, you cannot beat this forum for the hardcore off-road stuff.

The thing that sucks about this forum is that there is no patience for the newbies here. If you ask a dumb question you get killed. Would not have stopped me, though, or you Chris.

#77 ·
The thing that sucks about this forum is that there is no patience for the newbies here. If you ask a dumb question you get killed. Would not have stopped me, though, or you Chris.
I think that is what rocks about this forum. After seeing 800000 threads about "do 285's fit?" "whats the biggest tire i can fit?" on the blue forum, it's refreshing to come here.

My junk is bone stock and not very interesting, but it's cool to watch mad dog, cruzer and others build their rigs up. I will start wheeling it soon enough...or whenever I finally destroy my other rig!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.