FJ Cruiser in KOH - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - FJ Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #76 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11365
So besides the body and 6cl Toy motor, there is nothing Toyota or FJ left. How is this considered a "built up FJ"? that's like saying my Jeep Buggy is a built up jeep Why are you have Bundrant drive your car!!!! That's 95% of the challenge and fun of KOH.
3) 2006 Jeep Rubicon LJ Unlimited, Tons, Atlas, 40" Maxxis, King Coil overs, (PTSD Therapy)
4) 2009 Dodge 3500 Diesel 4x4 (Tow Rig) (mine)

Last edited by Run dog; 11-25-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Run dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2011, 07:49 PM   #77 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 142241
That's more than NASCAR or NHRA with just some head light stickers
Old 11-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #78 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11365
Your right, Just giving Mad Dog a hard time for not driving his own junk in the Superbowl
Quote:
Originally Posted by plnfixr320 View Post
That's more than NASCAR or NHRA with just some head light stickers
3) 2006 Jeep Rubicon LJ Unlimited, Tons, Atlas, 40" Maxxis, King Coil overs, (PTSD Therapy)
Old 11-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 129263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run dog View Post
So besides the body and 6cl Toy motor, there is nothing Toyota or FJ left. How is this considered a "built up FJ"? that's like saying my Jeep Buggy is a built up jeep Why are you have Bundrant drive your car!!!! That's 95% of the challenge and fun of KOH.
The idea is to use the fact that it looks like an FJ( the body) to get the FJ crowd excited about the race and the car and the fact that It started out just like thier FJ's.There are alot of Jeep buggies out there but I dont know of any FJ Cruiser Buggies so it is trying to take advantage of something unique and unusual.
Keeping the Toyota Engine is to bring sponsorship from Toyota and Toyota aftermarket products and again to do something unusual.

What can I say alot of this is related to sales and marketing and you can take it however you want. THis is also part of why Bundrant is driving. That is really a bigger story than the car. It is not really a story at all for me to go out and race although I am co driving. I also have alot to learn about racing and driving and I am hoping to learn as Much as I can from Jon. I dont want to go out and make a fool of myself. I am in this for the long term and plan on eventually taking over at the wheel.
To race at this level you really need big name sponsorship and I could not draw that on my own being the nobody that I am.
Mad Dog 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #80 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11365
Mad dog, thanks for the response on giving us insight to your master plan! Makes sense and I will be pulling for you. Let me know if you need anything. I may have something in my garage collecting dust !!!Good luck

Last edited by Run dog; 11-28-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #81 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11365
Last couple of questions! Besides sponsorship, running the full body in the unlimiteds with the Toy motor will be uncompetitive in the desert and really struggle on backdoor and wrecking Ball! Why not put a steering box, run 37's and be competitive in the "STOCK" Class? I'm sure you already know that. Why not run 40x20's instead of 39x17 Krawlers or 37(better wheel speed and throttle response w/ 6cy)? Why the ARBs? And not a fail safe spool in rear and Detroit up front? lastly, why not dump the motor and go after LC Engineering for an engine sponsor? I used have one with them and they were great people to deal with. Good luck

Last edited by Run dog; 11-28-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 129263
To me racing anything less than Pro Class would not be like racing KOH and if you are racing in the Ultra 4 series you need to start here. competitive in the desert?
Well, to an extent you are right we will not be rubbing tires with Campbell and Shear but I can tell you that his thing is fast and can probably out run 70% of the cars racing in this class. There are only a few sections of desert that can be driven at over 100MPH. I will be running 37's in the longer desert races and will be right there with the big guys but the 40's are needed for the rocks.
Our intention is to go up back door without a winch, we will be practicing there alot once the car is ready, I am sure we can do it with Jon at the wheel.
Wrecking ball wasnt an issue before as many know who ran it with me at TIn Benders. I did break that day before the fall but later went back and ran the trail non stop and that was with alot less HP than we have now.

I really like the ARB's and have broken almost everything but have never had an issue with them. There has been some discussion about the lockers and we want to make sure that we have the most reliable and durable parts on every aspect of the car.THE CAR MUST FINISH THE RACE!!

I really think that this thing will keep up with the very best in the rocks and we will lose ground to the top cars in the desert.

Last edited by Mad Dog 1; 11-29-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 188478
You have a good point on the FJC buggy getting people interested. I don't follow ultra 4 at all (Shannon Cambell is the only racer I can name); however, I will definately be following your season just because I want to see how my FJC's suped up big brother can perform out there.
Hornsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 129263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornsfan View Post
You have a good point on the FJC buggy getting people interested. I don't follow ultra 4 at all (Shannon Cambell is the only racer I can name); however, I will definately be following your season just because I want to see how my FJC's suped up big brother can perform out there.

Thanks, I'm curious to see what happens when I post this over on the Blue Room. I hope to get a pretty big following of FJ Owners.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:35 PM   #85 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 80862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog 1 View Post
To me racing anything less than Pro Class would not be like racing KOH and if you are racing in the Ultra 4 series you need to start here. competitive in the desert?
Well, to an extent you are right we will not be rubbing tires with Campbell and Shear but I can tell you that his thing is fast and can probably out run 70% of the cars racing in this class. There are only a few sections of desert that can be driven at over 100MPH. I will be running 37's in the longer desert races and will be right there with the big guys but the 40's are needed for the rocks.
Our intention is to go up back door without a winch, we will be practicing there alot once the car is ready, I am sure we can do it with Jon at the wheel.
Wrecking ball wasnt an issue before as many know who ran it with me at TIn Benders. I did break that day before the fall but later went back and ran the trail non stop and that was with alot less HP than we have now.

I really like the ARB's and have broken almost everything but have never had an issue with them. There has been some discussion about the lockers and we want to make sure that we have the most reliable and durable parts on every aspect of the car.THE CAR MUST FINISH THE RACE!!

I really think that this thing will keep up with the very best in the rocks and we will lose ground to the top cars in the desert.

Being faster than 70% of the cars? Hang with best of them in the rocks? Should be an easy win for you.
hurleygo3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #86 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 142241
Quote:
Thanks, I'm curious to see what happens when I post this over on the Blue Room. I hope to get a pretty big following of FJ Owners.
Just make sure to plasti-dip something to keep the interest up on the blue
Old 11-29-2011, 07:12 PM   #87 (permalink)
Super Willie

Member # 19067
Quote:
Why the ARBs? And not a fail safe spool in rear and Detroit up front?
Why ask why?

The majority of the Ultra 4 cars run at least one ARB. Set up properly they are hard to beat, especially in the rocks.

Quote:
Well, to an extent you are right we will not be rubbing tires with Campbell and Shear but I can tell you that his thing is fast and can probably out run 70% of the cars racing in this class...... snip ........

Seriously? The build is cool and all, but faster than 70% of the cars in the unlimited class and keep up with the very best in the rocks?

I hope you can back that up. It would be cool to see a "full-bodied" rig do good, but there is a reason why buggies rule the unlimited class.

Yeah, I wear a Kilt... what you're not man enough?!

Want beadlocks? Allied Beadlocks.... Best designed and best priced aluminum beadlock on the market!

Got 40 SPLINE? Time for you to get 40 spline too! 40 spline hubs, spindles, outer stub shafts, 40 spline 14 bolt & Dana 60 Air Lockers

http://www.wildwestfab.com.... WILD WEST OFF ROAD 360-264-5363
Tech Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #88 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 142241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Tim View Post
Why ask why?

The majority of the Ultra 4 cars run at least one ARB. Set up properly they are hard to beat, especially in the rocks.
Running a selectable locker help with turning brakes also
Old 11-30-2011, 06:12 AM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 89000
Quote:
The idea is to use the fact that it looks like an FJ( the body) to get the FJ crowd excited about the race .
The only way you will get the FJ guys excited is to have the race on Cleghorn
Old 11-30-2011, 09:58 AM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 129263
Being faster than 70% of the cars? Hang with best of them in the rocks? Should be an easy win for you.[/QUOTE]

OK, I didnt intend to sound arogant or presumptuous. The truth is we really dont know how she will do. I shold have said that I think we will be fast in the desert and do better than most in the rocks.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 177190
Quote:
Why not put a steering box, run 37's and be competitive in the "STOCK" Class?
Read the rule book for stock class. He was way past the point of being close to legal for the stock class from the get go (body modifications, coilovers in the rear, 35" tires max, etc...can't recall if the IFS to SAC would have eliminated him from this class from the getgo).

Modified class definitely could have been a possibility tho (what I believe you were refering to anyways). Would have been interesting to see how it stacked up to the competion in modified.
FJLED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 129263
Seriously? The build is cool and all, but faster than 70% of the cars in the unlimited class and keep up with the very best in the rocks?

I hope you can back that up. It would be cool to see a "full-bodied" rig do good, but there is a reason why buggies rule the unlimited class.[/QUOTE]

As I said in my last response, I didnt mean to sound arrogant or presumptuous and should have worded things differently. Your right Buggies do rule and this build is not meant to win the race. There are many draw backs to racing a full bodied vehicle which will effect its performance especially in the rocks: COG. RC. Weight, ect.

I believe we will do well in the rocks based more on the driver than on the car. Bundrant is one of the best and I think that he can take a car with limmited capabilities and do very well with it.

I dont want to set my expectations or any ones too high but I do want to be competitive otherwise what is the point.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 129263
The only way you will get the FJ guys excited is to have the race on Cleghorn[/QUOTE]

We may be wishing we were on Cleghorn by the time we finish the first lap.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #94 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11365
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJLED View Post
Read the rule book for stock class. He was way past the point of being close to legal for the stock class from the get go (body modifications, coilovers in the rear, 35" tires max, etc...can't recall if the IFS to SAC would have eliminated him from this class from the getgo).

Modified class definitely could have been a possibility tho (what I believe you were refering to anyways). Would have been interesting to see how it stacked up to the competion in modified.
Good point, I meant Modified class That being said, although a cool build and I hope it does well. The reality is it doesn't stand a chance in both the Modified or Unlimited class. I have a few buddies building for both classes and of course they are full blown buggies (ie 500+HP, 4k lb race ready, better visibility, COG, ect ect) No chance it's even remembered this time next yearThat being said, good luck
Old 11-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #95 (permalink)

Member # 188478
I would not care how competitive I was the first year if I was in your shoes. You are going to learn a ton from Jon and the whole racing experience. That is going to set you up well for future races.
Hornsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 129263
If I was just building another buggy we wouldnt even be talking right now. This is different and it is fun. I love this sport and want to be part of it.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #97 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11365
Mad Dog, your right. I just think we ate all Toyota/FJ promoters and would like to see you do well and see our beloved FJ on the podium regardless what class. Good luck
Old 02-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #98 (permalink)

Member # 110617

Last edited by Dustpark; 02-16-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Dustpark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #99 (permalink)

Member # 110617
Jeff, you did ok.....

Last edited by Dustpark; 02-16-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Dustpark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #100 (permalink)

Member # 129263
Humbled but much wiser we move forward. I am posting more about the event in the Ultra FJ Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.