Fixed my winch again - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - FJ Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 08:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 129263
Fixed my winch again

I'm getting a little better at removing the ALL Pro Bumper to repair my winch( this is the 3rd time) but it is still a pain in the Ass. You have to take the winch motor loose to get to the control box which you have to remove to ge the cover off which invoves blind bolts and alot of fine motor skill finger work which I do not have. Any way at least it was a simple fix this time, even though it took me a while to find it. THere was a wire connector that came loose ono the ground from the control box. While I'm at it though I am going to hard wire the control into the cab. I am also continuing to strip out all of the extra wiring and junk that I can find.

Mad Dog 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 157534
Think the wire coming loose is related to going 70mph across them J.V. whoops?
P.S. we'll be out there again this weekend.

Last edited by tacoabuse; 08-30-2010 at 08:05 PM.
tacoabuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 100273
An easy option for hard wiring is to use a winch controller off of ebay for the wire only (toss the rest) then get a trick switch panel from www.12VoltGuy.com and wire it together in the cab. Route the wire to the winch and just plug it in. Later, if you want to use a winch remote, just swap plugs. It's easier than going into the solenoid control.

Surgical precision with a BFH
BellyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 129263
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellyDoc View Post
An easy option for hard wiring is to use a winch controller off of ebay for the wire only (toss the rest) then get a trick switch panel from www.12VoltGuy.com and wire it together in the cab. Route the wire to the winch and just plug it in. Later, if you want to use a winch remote, just swap plugs. It's easier than going into the solenoid control.
THat is exactly what I had in mind.I have an extra hand control that I purchased last time the winch didnt work because I thought it might be the controler and not the winch. I was also thinking that I still want to be able to control it from out side as well so using the hand controller is the answer.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 100273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog 1 View Post
THat is exactly what I had in mind.I have an extra hand control that I purchased last time the winch didnt work because I thought it might be the controler and not the winch. I was also thinking that I still want to be able to control it from out side as well so using the hand controller is the answer.
If you look at the diagrams of how to wire up a winch for inside control, they'll show you hard wiring into the solenoid pack. When you do that, the hand remote port is still vacant so you can plug into it at any time. The thing that bugs me is that if you wire it that way, and you plug into the remote port, you can now literally power BOTH directions at the same time. That's not likely to happen, of course, but it still bugs me, so I wired a plug for the port so that I have to swap if I want to run using a winch remote. It's one or the other but not both.

Surgical precision with a BFH
BellyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 77042
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellyDoc View Post
If you look at the diagrams of how to wire up a winch for inside control, they'll show you hard wiring into the solenoid pack. When you do that, the hand remote port is still vacant so you can plug into it at any time. The thing that bugs me is that if you wire it that way, and you plug into the remote port, you can now literally power BOTH directions at the same time. That's not likely to happen, of course, but it still bugs me, so I wired a plug for the port so that I have to swap if I want to run using a winch remote. It's one or the other but not both.
You could always use a DPDT switch on the interior 'Winch Enable' switch such that the off position would return the 'common power' wire back to the original remote plug on the winch --1 extra wire going into the cab, creating an interior-enable/remote-disable circuit and vice-versa-- and that would eliminate the random chance of the 'winch control war' ....not that I worry about such things late at night. (Oh, and fuse that 'common' power wire out at the winch before sending it to the cab; 5A or so...it's only got a couple hundred amp power supply ) That's how I'm gonna do mine because every time I go to use the winch control, I have to fuss with the plug to break the corrosion on the connectors, one of the big plus' for having a hard-wired control in the first place.

Last edited by MrSammi; 08-31-2010 at 11:02 PM.
MrSammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 149856
winch

I never had my solenoid mounted in my bumper put mine on the right inner fenderwell it stays real clean there I run alot of mud.
hotsteel41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 129263
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsteel41 View Post
I never had my solenoid mounted in my bumper put mine on the right inner fenderwell it stays real clean there I run alot of mud.
That is a great idea, I actually had thought of that, would just need to get some longer 14guage cabels to attach. I might go ahead and do that while I have it apart. Do you have an AllPro Bumper? Could you post a pic.I routed my wireing to the cab last night and cut one of the stock holes in my console to fit the new switch in, looks like it is going to work great.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 149856
whinch

Yes I have the allpro bumper here is a couple of pics I went to the tractor supply (live in kansas small town) and got longer cables.
hotsteel41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 129263
Got the control wired to the inside and got the AC out. Feels like more HP

Old 09-13-2010, 04:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 142241
Is your a/c pump for sale? Mine has been in disagreement with my upper link mount.
plnfixr320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:36 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 129263
Some one wants to buy the whole set up but if I can do better by selling it part by part I will PM me an offer.
Thanks