Towing with FJC - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - FJ Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Unleash the me.

Member # 113176
Towing with FJC

I think I'm gonna get an FJC when I get back stateside within the next couple weeks. I searched and read a thread from 07, but would like more opinions. I know it's rated for 5k, but is that realistic? Should it be more or less? Any experience with the aftermarket airbags for the rear coils? What's the weak link?
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say that there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe."
LucasFury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 99158
I'm on my 3rd summer of towing my rig with my 6spd manual trans FJ

The load is around 5k (zuk truggy on a car trailer) and really the only time I run into an issue is if traction is poor (muddy parking lots or a loose gravel steep access road) because the load behind me is heavier than the towrig

hard to believe, but i get 13mpg towing regularly with mixed highway/city/hilly country roads.

I run a tekonsha prodigy trailer brake controller, and don't have any issues stopping. I don't have any sway issues, so no sway controls on my current setup. I think the short rear overhang of the FJ moves the hitch close enough to the axle to prevent the trailer from pushing the FJ around

[url]www.leded.com[/url][URL="www.toyotacrawlers.com"]
Northeast Toyota Crawlers[/URL]
[url]www.rok-freekz.com[/url]
88 Zuk - [url=http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=765704]Build Thread..[/url]
[url=http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1004552]ZUK FOR SALE...[/url]
RTrac1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2010, 01:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 3946
I've installed some Airlift bags in a friend's FJC. His FJC towed better than my 3rd Gen 4Runner.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 18262
Im the friend! Ya I have the automatic and towed my 3500 lb trailer from california to moab and back and didnt even feel it on the hills. With the airbags in back it levels it out good. Without it gets a little slouchy in the rear. I highly recommend airbags for towing with these.

2007 FJ Cruiser

[COLOR="Blue"]"My tapeworm has anorexia!"[/COLOR]

[URL=http://www.toyland4x4.com]ToyLand4x4.com[/URL]
ToyLand4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 90381
I pull my enclosed trailer, prolly totals above 4k. OME medium springs, tows fine, no swaying, no issues
TURK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 147109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyLand4x4 View Post
Im the friend! Ya I have the automatic and towed my 3500 lb trailer from california to moab and back and didnt even feel it on the hills. With the airbags in back it levels it out good. Without it gets a little slouchy in the rear. I highly recommend airbags for towing with these.
Didnt feel the boat either!
Cruzer! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2011, 11:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 179963
I say find a truck because by the time you add your weekends worth of gear, tools, buddys, the dog you will more than likely be over the limit. I have a 11K limit I have yet to go over in my F250 but I intend to only tow one rig and bring my tools, buddys, weeks worth of gear and the dog, wife and kid.... You can find old F250's or F350's with 351's or 460's for cheap sometimes and they would be great for what your looking for and the longer wheel base would give you a more stable ride.
knightkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 132813
The FJ pulls and stop 5000lbs fine. It does not feel as stable as a fullsize pickup though, especially at highway speed, probably because of the wheelbase. Getting the tongue weight dead right is the key.

You will need trailer brakes and a ideally a brake controller with manual override to get the trailer under control if it starts to sway. I don't like the uhaul trailers with their own inertial controllers for that reason.

If you are towing regularly, you should add a tranny cooler.
higgo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
sweet jesus

Member # 104026
I just got back from Harlan KY. Pulled 18' car trailer with 4 Honda 4 wheelers on it and had no complaints.
stimie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.