poor college kid f-toy build in MT - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Formula Toy Forum
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 63299
you are going to be SEVERLY disappointed with the strength of that cage when you flop it (and you will no matter how hard you try not to). I put mine on its lid on an easy trail when my tire slipped off the rock. never expected it but it went completely over and slid back down the side of the hill. You are just looking for injuries. Stop while you are ahead, it really isnt a smart move
Old 01-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 9771
He's can't stop while he's ahead. He's already wayyyyy behind.

Just make sure that some one is always filming you on the trail. I heard that the "Faces of Death" movies are coming out again.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #53 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 5851
Send a message via AIM to KacksterK5
Last flop I had was the slowest flop ever, but the whole truck landed on the .120 b-pillar and bent it. Start over. You just wasted a lot of money and time.

86 4Raisin A bunch of stuff under it

02 Chevy 2500 HD Tow Rig
KacksterK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #54 (permalink)
window licker

Member # 207564
make sure to always be intoxicated, and have a budwiser in hand as well. that always makes for good pics!
artj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #55 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 32726
You bring up a good point. When people go wheeling and yardsale their shit all over a trail, they do it 100% on purpose, 100% of the time.

New standard for KOH safety specs: Triple Double Smittybilt rollbars for everyone

No such thing as an accident, these days.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MattyB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 206871
Quote:
Originally Posted by artj123 View Post
make sure to always be intoxicated, and have a budwiser in hand as well. that always makes for good pics!
BOAT CUP HOLDERS IT IS!

seriously though, i'm adding a lot more support that normal. i'm just gonna run it as long as possible without rolling it and when i do, who cares it took me 3 days to make a friggin roll cage i'll go buy 120 and build another when that time comes. around here there really isn't any extreme trails just about everything can be done in a bone stock rubicon, so there is little chance of putting myself in a bad roll condition. everyone has to learn what can and can't be done at some point in time, so let's just call this my learning experience!
jdsummerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 123919
You dumbfuck, your learning experience was on page 1 where the guys who know what they're doing told you to take your shitty pipe back, and buy .120 wall dom.

Be sure to PM me before you get that hunk of shit anywhere near Spokane, so i can keep my family and friends WAY away from that death trap.
Peow130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #58 (permalink)
Rock Hard

Member # 108831
Send a message via MSN to PyroZuki Send a message via Yahoo to PyroZuki
I'm a broke-dick, "budget" wheeler and there's NO WAY IN HELL I could afford to build a cheesy, unsafe roll cage. Then just build a .120 roll cage when "the time comes".

Although we don't have any "hardcore" trails, one flop on our Wild Bill/ Blacktail trail and that thing will be ruined. These guys are rippin you so bad because safety is the key to survival! If you're not safe, you won't survive. Although your cage is aesthetically decent, the structural integrity is far from par.

Let me know when you take it out for it's cherry poppin run. I'll run with you!!!

Pyro

99 4Runner TRD Super Charged 3.4L LTD
08 Tundra SR5 TRD 5.7L
Click for Toyota Parts!

ADVANCED TUBEKRAFT
PyroZuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #59 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsummerfield View Post
i'm just gonna run it as long as possible without rolling it and when i do, who cares it took me 3 days to make a friggin roll cage
you stupid kids these days. don't listen to nothing. yes it took you 3 days to sort of build the main part of the cage. and for the rest of the buggy that attaches to the "cage" is going to take about 1000 hrs. therefore, you don't just build another cage and think it will take 3 days to replace.

even if you continue, you will never finish. you have no idea, how much work it takes, after you get a rolling chassis

when you go to the doctor, do you tell him how to do his job too? heaven forbid you listen to the veterans in this thread. you have no idea the wealth of knowledge here to help you and the amount of buggies that we have built.
a2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 120383
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2b View Post
you stupid kids these days. don't listen to nothing. yes it took you 3 days to sort of build the main part of the cage. and for the rest of the buggy that attaches to the "cage" is going to take about 1000 hrs. therefore, you don't just build another cage and think it will take 3 days to replace.

even if you continue, you will never finish. you have no idea, how much work it takes, after you get a rolling chassis

when you go to the doctor, do you tell him how to do his job too? heaven forbid you listen to the veterans in this thread. you have no idea the wealth of knowledge here to help you and the amount of buggies that we have built.

Just listen to what these guys have to say. They tell you these things because they know. And in the end everyone helps everyone in this sport.

Thank goodness I dont live anywhere near you to see this thing flop. And the "who cares it only took me 3 days to build this," mentality is stupid. I hope when you flop this thing hard you'll have another 3 days to rebuild it. You'd be safer in a pickup or 4 runner without a cage vs a roll in this thing.

My two cents...
84longtravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 187257
How much money did you spend on that cage you have mostly done? How much will it cost to buy the correct tube and "re do the cage"? How much does a real ftoy cost? Seems like a no brainier to me. Good luck on the 3k budget by the way, I've probably got twice that into mine and I feel like mines gonna be ghetto haha.
MartyBigTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 109376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard Dog View Post
There's a Formula4 chassis (a real one, not a hack knock off) that Hendrix would let go for $900, it has every option Hendrix offers on it. I seriously doubt you could buy the tube for that cheap. I live 45 minutes from the Hammers so it would be easy for the dude MT4runner knows to bring it back from KOH.

If you cant grasp the value and cost savings with that option then I'd imagine you're one of those retarded OWS college kids.

BTW, that 10g rig a2b mentioned was hands down the shittiest F-Toy built and we took a National Championship with it and it finished 4 KOH races
How the hell did i miss this thread. Now im realy pissed, i thought i had the shittiest f-toy built. So much for dreams. 900 for an x its about time to reorder for the east coast. might get you to through that on the truck for my next build!

Last edited by skonkerd; 01-12-2012 at 09:50 PM.
skonkerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:34 AM   #63 (permalink)
window licker

Member # 207564
i think that sold to guy in CO.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 108480
Quote:
Originally Posted by skonkerd View Post
How the hell did i miss this thread. Now im realy pissed, i thought i had the shittiest f-toy built. So much for dreams. 900 for an x its about time to reorder for the east coast. might get you to through that on the truck for my next build!
Quote:
Originally Posted by artj123 View Post
i think that sold to guy in CO.
Yup it did, it is a formula 4, no sub frame or link mounts
Old 01-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 62699
If this is what college does to kids now a days, my kid isnt going...
get r done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 109376
common, how are we going to staff all the banks around the world without college grads. Im not saying all college educations are wasted, but i feel some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #67 (permalink)
window licker

Member # 207564
agreed
Old 01-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 123919
I can admit, i know little about the structural design of most rollcages, but i know from a metallurgical aspect that the stuff he used was far too thin..
It's like using sheetmetal to make a winch mount. it's stupid and unsafe. Not to mention, when he rolls it and it gets all screwed up he'll be paying AGAIN for the same amount of tube but in thicker form.
I'd rather pay the extra money to ensure that anybody that gets into my buggy was safe.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #69 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peow130 View Post
when he rolls it and itI gets all screwed up he'll be paying AGAIN for the same amount of tube but in thicker form.

what are you talking about, he said that he "doesn't plan on rolling hard". so that solves that
a2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 131156
Dang I wouldn't even make my sliders or bumpers out of .090 wall heh, I think a roll cage would definitely need .120 DOM!
jd350az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 62699
What? But why? He isnt planning on rolling it.. Shit he should have told use that on his first post. If thats the case he should just make it out of card board.. Much easier to make changes to when it is on its lid..And on the upside it wouldnt take only 3 days to replace. Shit thats just a local trip to Sears to get another fridge box and start all over again..
get r done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #72 (permalink)
IDIot!

Member # 44480
Cool.

He's in Missoula. There's a Sears warehouse there.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 131156
I'm kinda glad I saw this post. I have always thought about an F-toy and didn't realize it was a single manufacturer. I always had it in the back of my mind when I got around to doing a cage I might just yank the body and make a buggy but I guess it wouldn't be a F-toy heh. The prices aren't bad though knowing how much DOM costs I don't think you could build your own much cheaper, might as well use the proven design! Maybe in a few years after I beat up the Runner more!
jd350az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #74 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 53677
"dont plan on rolling it too hard"

I have accidently rolled my various shit missiles in places that arent even off camber. Shit happens....Thats why we build cages in the first place.

I'll tell you what.... take a hammer and hit that A pillar...right in the middle of it. Hit it good and hard; remember you cant swing a hammer hard enough to mimic the weight of that thing flopping over. Report back here with the damage.

You are a tard. You have access to the best knowledge in the sport here (shit im willing to bet that you have no idea even the people who posted in this thread...) and you are screwing it up. There are the best chassis builders in the sport on this site that would have more than likely given you some VERY valuable and insightful tips had you played your cards right and started a humble build thread. They like to see people succeed and build their dream rig just like everyone else does. Good luck getting that help now.

You obviously dont take any advice well. Proceed with your dying....hopefully no one here has to deal with scraping your shit off the rocks and hauling it out some day.

Beater ZJ :: HP60 - 14 bolt / PSC hydro / 4 linked / dents / ORANGE paint

New Buggy Build
slravene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 123919
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2b View Post
what are you talking about, he said that he "doesn't plan on rolling hard". so that solves that
Oh right, my bad.

Makes me want to go cut his shit apart with a sawzall and scrap it, just so we don't have to hear about some nimrod and his buddy or two getting crushed.