KOH Formula Toy Class - Page 8 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Formula Toy Forum
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 03:46 AM   #176 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 36007
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRecoveryTeam View Post
This is how I feel too. If I only had a vote
X3 but I don't have a vote either.....
FT#48 build
"I wanna get me a truck and soop it up with some metal!" -Wingo
mtbrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #177 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by maveric View Post
Do we have to purchase the radios and GPS before the event (Im assuming so) or at the site? What about the antennea and mount? Tracker?
Radio/GPS is not required equipment, but is a good idea for communicating with your pits (and other FToys!) and for safety. If you roll, you'll probably munch your antenna, but it's nice that "the other guy" who stops to help you can radio for outside assistance if needed. You can hack a Ham radio and add an antenna for about $180. PM me for info. If you want an intercom, save your nickels and buy one from Rugged, starting at about $400.

Prepay for your IRC tracker before the race so you know you'll get one. Find a used antenna/mount on race-dezert.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazen91 View Post
Keep the stock rules other than the shocks and safety eqipment.
It's that little "other than" in your statement that is the slippery slope.

"Other than" shocks-air bumps-rear disconnects-turbos-linked front-linked rear....all of which, by themselves seem perfectly reasonable to the person suggesting them, but when added together seem like an extra $20k when you don't have any of them yet.

"Jeez, that's too much, if only 'they' would allow the addition of one item."
Everybody's "one additional item" is different.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #178 (permalink)

Member # 1663
Sorry if I appear stupid (you should see me in person ) but I just want to make sure I have this right. Radios are not required, but recommended. I just need a ham or vhf radio (or 2) so I can talk to my pit or chase vehicle, correct? Is handheld or vehicle mounted better? Do we get to pick our own frequencies, or are they assigned? I already have intercoms from cone dodging, but they are not adaptable to any radios, so I either have to buy a "kit" or have 2 headsets per helmet (sounds cumbersome).
Is the GPS just to make following the course easier, or do racers input obstacles into them? Is as larger display better?

Thanks
maveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #179 (permalink)

Member # 1663
Quote:
This is how I feel too. If I only had a vote
So who is deciding on the final rules?
The old ftoy BOD?
The KOH promoter?

Last edited by maveric; 03-21-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #180 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
I was going to tell you to PM me, but I'll post up in case anyone else had the same questions:

Quote:
Radios are not required, but recommended. I just need a ham or vhf radio (or 2) so I can talk to my pit or chase vehicle, correct?
Again, recommended, but not required. CB or FRS radios would work..but not work well. VHF gets used a ton by desert racers because it flat out works.

Quote:
Is handheld or vehicle mounted better?
Handheld sucks for this use because you're limited by battery power to the wattage you can transmit. Handhelds are generally no more than 5W, where you can get mobile in up to 50W-75W-110W flavors. 50W works fine.

Quote:
Do we get to pick our own frequencies, or are they assigned?
You're supposed to talk to an FC C-licensed frequency coordinator to get a frequency you'll be licensed to use in your area, and getting a frequency coordinated and licensed will run $400-800. Pick one that nobody else is using and don't use Taco Bell's, the local police department's, or the Hilton's housekeeping frequency.

DADT

Quote:
I already have intercoms from cone dodging, but they are not adaptable to any radios, so I either have to buy a "kit" or have 2 headsets per helmet (sounds cumbersome).
IMHO, you won't be talking to your pits all that often while you're racing, unless you're a chatty-cathy. If you're stopped/broke, a handheld mic is easier to use with your helmet off. You don't really need the headset in your helmet. Put a mobile in your dash and turn its speaker volume way up. Stick the handheld mic under the front of your helmet to speak. Not perfect, but there are a zillion other things you're going to be spending your money on. Buying a different intercom that you can integrate your race radio for another $400 isn't money well spent, (and this is coming from a radio nerd) especially when you already have an intercom for driver-codawg comms.

If your cone-dodging intercom is a Bluetooth setup, there's the Yaesu FTM-10R ham radio that you can install Bluetooth chips in, and use it for both intercom and radio functions, but it takes quite a bit of electronic/wiring/circuit fuckery. The built-in intercom sucks (volume-wise) in a wired application, but might be OK with your helmet-mounted BT's. I know quite a few BMW and Goldwing-riding Hams put them on their bikes.

Quote:
Is the GPS just to make following the course easier, or do racers input obstacles into them? Is as larger display better?
GPS will make following the course 1000x easier. The promoter will give you the file they used to set the course.
When you prerun, you can input obstacles. Many do.
Larger is better, but not necessary. Bigger screen is more necessary if your codawg gets motion sickness.

Quote:
So who is deciding on the final rules?
The old ftoy BOD?
The KOH promoter?
I would assume that since Dave is letting FToys race when they don't exactly meet the rules of either Stock or Mod classes, that he has a say.

I'd suggest that the BOD (maybe with some updated directors from among the pool of people who have competed in FToys recently) make a final call so people can start building for the race in 10.5 months.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #181 (permalink)

Member # 1663
Thanks for the input.

I will give you a call/pm if I have any questions.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #182 (permalink)
Tech Editor

Member # 1656
The final call is F-toy rules with exception of shocks.

Shocks can be any make or model, one shock per wheel. Air bumps are considered shocks.

Threaded Panel Tab Sale
tinbenders.org

camo is my hero, even if he is gay

DirtChoppers.net
Air Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #183 (permalink)
I brought the beer

Member # 10203
Send a message via ICQ to JeepRecoveryTeam Send a message via AIM to JeepRecoveryTeam Send a message via Yahoo to JeepRecoveryTeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Ride View Post

Shocks can be any make or model, one shock per wheel. Air bumps are considered shocks.
2.5" max diameter per the rules of the race. 14" stroke
Old 03-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #184 (permalink)

Member # 27969
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
It's that little "other than" in your statement that is the slippery slope.

"Other than" shocks-air bumps-rear disconnects-turbos-linked front-linked rear....all of which, by themselves seem perfectly reasonable to the person suggesting them, but when added together seem like an extra $20k when you don't have any of them yet.
I agree, my 'other than' would be shocks. No turbos, no links, etc. The only big money thing is the stage 5 engines people would build, but I see way of stopping that. The rest of us will just have to hope they break something with all the h/p!! I spent some time around the circle track when I was younger and the Stock Pony Class (Ford Pintos and Mustang 2's) were pretty strick on engine builds. But I'm not sure on how to regulate it.

The other thing to watch it the 1600 class. It used to be a very basic class and cheap to run. Then allowed this mod, then that mod. Now even the 1600 class is expensive to run. The rules should be writen and not changed unless for safety. Keep the car cheap.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #185 (permalink)

Member # 27969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Ride View Post

So just to dumb it down for an Army guy, "air bumps are considered shocks" and "one per wheel", means we can not run shocks and air bumps on the same wheel?
Old 03-22-2012, 03:19 AM   #186 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 36007
Bilstein metric equivalent is ok so you can run the 9100 shocks if you want.
FT#48 build

Last edited by mtbrjon; 03-22-2012 at 03:19 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:29 AM   #187 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 36007
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazen91 View Post
I agree, my 'other than' would be shocks. No turbos, no links, etc. The only big money thing is the stage 5 engines people would build, but I see way of stopping that. The rest of us will just have to hope they break something with all the h/p!! I spent some time around the circle track when I was younger and the Stock Pony Class (Ford Pintos and Mustang 2's) were pretty strick on engine builds. But I'm not sure on how to regulate it.

The other thing to watch it the 1600 class. It used to be a very basic class and cheap to run. Then allowed this mod, then that mod. Now even the 1600 class is expensive to run. The rules should be writen and not changed unless for safety. Keep the car cheap.
Blueprinted and sealed crate engine is the only fair way to have complete control on engines but that is so not practical for this class. Everybody would be required to purchase their engine from a specific builder or one of 2 or 3 builders. Aside from that the "claimer" rules would be the next best. If that becomes a class rule I'm running a junkyard engine and bringing some cash with me for after the race!
FT#48 build
Old 03-22-2012, 07:54 AM   #188 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
2.5" max diameter per the rules of the race. 14" stroke

I'm gonna start watching for a used set.
(still not racing!!)

I want tunable shocks, and want to keep my rig legal.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #189 (permalink)
Tech Editor

Member # 1656
If it is determined that the big dollar motors are dominating the class an engine "claimer rule" will be implemented. For the first few years it wont be a problem. The Marlin Crawler F-toy beat 75% of the field with less 25% of the HP for 4 years.

Threaded Panel Tab Sale
tinbenders.org

DirtChoppers.net
Old 03-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #190 (permalink)

Member # 1663
OK, so next questions. do the ftoys run the same day as the big race? And do we have to qualify to run, or is having an ftoy the qualification?
What is the entry fee for the ftoys?
Old 03-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #191 (permalink)
Tech Editor

Member # 1656
Quote:
OK, so next questions. do the ftoys run the same day as the big race? And do we have to qualify to run, or is having an ftoy the qualification?
What is the entry fee for the ftoys?
Refer to first post.

F-toys will be in the Every Man Challenge.

Threaded Panel Tab Sale
tinbenders.org

DirtChoppers.net
Old 03-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #192 (permalink)

Member # 1663
Thanks
Old 03-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #193 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 17537
Well I am out then. No way I am going back to leafs and ditching shocks. Not that my car is a threat as ftoys on leafs seam to keep beating my car. Oh well, I think it is back to rec wheelin for me, this ultra4 shit is just getting to expensive to keep up with.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:50 AM   #194 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 292
HMMM, if I were to enter this race, this is what I would do.

If you are running propane, get someone to help you tune it. it seems like all propane systems run great but are lacking on power. I am positive that can be tuned out. If you replumb the system with a ball valve to switch from tank to tank you need to buy BIG fittings. Otherwise it will limit the volume and make your low power problem worse. Don't hook 2 tanks together unless you plan on bringing 6 spares and changing both of them out at every pit.

My stock 22RE with an LC cam and SDS fuel management system ran great and had pleanty of power for a leaf sprung rig.
If you don't have a fuel cell you will need one. A Jazz cell in a metal can from Poly Performance is probably your best bet. 14 gallon is barely adequate. 16 - 22gal. is good.
A pickup hose inthe tank that slides from side to side will not last. I would recommend an intank pump or at least 2 walbro pickups going to an external pump. Pumps should be mounted vertically. I run an accumulator tank. You can do your own research because there are alot of opinions on fuel systems.

A fuel pressure gauge is your friend.

More later
X-Chassis #12
6 time KOH finisher
2008/2009 W.E. Rock West Coast Series Champion
2008 Pro Rock Champion
Just "HAMMER" it!!
My Buildup /forum/general-4x4-discussion/298203-desertoy-mustard-dog-build-pair-x-chassis.html
desertoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #195 (permalink)

Member # 9771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Roxy View Post
Well I am out then. No way I am going back to leafs and ditching shocks. Not that my car is a threat as ftoys on leafs seam to keep beating my car. Oh well, I think it is back to rec wheelin for me, this ultra4 shit is just getting to expensive to keep up with.

I'm with you on this one. I like my links way too much. I'm going to stick with drag racing. I will be there to cheer the rest of the FToys on.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:15 AM   #196 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 17537
Quote:
Originally Posted by chvyhs View Post
I'm with you on this one. I like my links way too much. I'm going to stick with drag racing. I will be there to cheer the rest of the FToys on.
I might or might not be there, depending on uncle sam, but if I am there I will help out anywhere I can. Glad this came around, but wish it was a few years sooner.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:37 AM   #197 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 36007
Quote:
I might or might not be there, depending on uncle sam, but if I am there I will help out anywhere I can. Glad this came around, but wish it was a few years sooner.
You have the rig. You don't have to drive 2000 miles to get there like some of us. I say run it with the Ftoys. You just won't get scored but you'll certainly have more fun running with these guys than with the big boys.
FT#48 build
Old 03-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #198 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
Well I am out then. No way I am going back to leafs and ditching shocks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chvyhs
Run mine.

...but I'll need to borrow one of your rigs to get on top of Fissure to run the radio.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:51 AM   #199 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 17537
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Run mine.

...but I'll need to borrow one of your rigs to get on top of Fissure to run the radio.
Well it says 1 2.5 shock per corner, could put the bypasses on your rig.

I don't know, we will see what comes around.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:22 AM   #200 (permalink)

Member # 27969
Quote:
Well it says 1 2.5 shock per corner, could put the bypasses on your rig.
That's what I was thinking!!