Rear Shackle Angle Q. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Formula Toy Forum
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2007, 09:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 78096
Rear Shackle Angle Q.

With the springs hanging and no weight at all what should ones rear shackle angle look like? straight down or similar to what I have here? I'm mocking this in and would appreciate the advice.

Thanks.
Jeep07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3370
Are those trail gear spirngs? 5" lift?

I haven't installed them yet but I got these measurments/advice on them from Matt

Chris,
Here are the measurements for front and rear.
Front:
Center - Center = 45"
Removed: Bottom 2 leafs

Rear:
Center - Center = 55.5"
Removed: 1st and 3rd leafs.

On the rear I had to add some stops for the shackles because I was inverting them, so you may want to go a little further maybe 56". Play with it a little before you weld everything off.

I also want to let you know that after you modify your springs they will be extremely soft and will not perform the best for trail riding. The springs will work great for competing though. Also I recommend installing bump stops in the front.

Good luck!

Matt

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Pook; 11-21-2007 at 10:06 PM.
Pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2007, 10:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
go by the measurements chris gave you if they are TG 5" springs.

either way, i doubt that is a good. are those new springs? if so, they are going to settle.

with the spring hanging with no weight, i would want the shackle angle about negative 10 degrees more or less. with wieght on the new springs, about 10 degrees or so, because the springs will settle and you might take leaves out like i do and then the shackle angle increases to a desired 30 to 45 degrees.
a2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 07:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 30134
Are you sure about that 55.5" rear measurement? I could be wrong but I talked to Matt last week about that same measurement and I'm pretty sure he said 52.5". I just bought a set of 5" lift TG springs and modified them just like you said. Bottom two leafs removed from the fronts and the 1st and third removed from the rears. This is how it sets with 5" shackles. Center to center is 52.5". I'll be putting on 6" shackles tomorrow and wheeling it Saturday so I'll let you know how it comes out.

azyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 09:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3370
AZyota, your shackle looks way to angled right now in my opinion. 3 more inches back on the back of the frame would fix it nicely, especially if those springs are still brand new.

What I quoted was exactly what Matt sent me.

Last edited by Pook; 11-22-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 30134
Yeah, I agree its too angled with the 5" shackle. I just listened to the message Matt left on my phone. He said 44-3/4" up front and 52-1/4" on the rears. That was center to center on the hard mounts. Thats also for 6" shackles. I ordered 6" shackles Monday from TG and they got here yesterday. I'll put them on tomorrow and post up some new pics.
If I moved the mount 3" back that would be pretty close to vertical. I don't think that would be good at all. Vertical shackles work okay for up travel, but really limit your droop. Check out Hobies post above. He recommended 30 to 45 degrees. I'm not sure if thats from the vertical or horizontal plane.

Last edited by azyota; 11-22-2007 at 10:05 AM.
azyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 10:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3370
Straighter vertical shackles tend to help with climbs. and I'm pretty sure thats what Hobie was referring to.

Maybe call Matt to confirm but the measurments I posted (everything in RED) is what he sent me, copy and pasted just as he sent it right from the PM.

Last edited by Pook; 11-22-2007 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 78096
Quote:
Originally Posted by azyota View Post
Yeah, I agree its too angled with the 5" shackle. I just listened to the message Matt left on my phone. He said 44-3/4" up front and 52-1/4" on the rears. That was center to center on the hard mounts. Thats also for 6" shackles. I ordered 6" shackles Monday from TG and they got here yesterday. I'll put them on tomorrow and post up some new pics.
If I moved the mount 3" back that would be pretty close to vertical. I don't think that would be good at all. Vertical shackles work okay for up travel, but really limit your droop. Check out Hobies post above. He recommended 30 to 45 degrees. I'm not sure if thats from the vertical or horizontal plane.
Did you take some pictures?

I moved my shackle hangers to the rear of the xmember and it put me right at 52.5". My front is 44.5". I'm thinking 6" shackles for the rear.

What front shackles do most people run?

Thx.
Jeep07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3370
BTT for a buddy looking for spring measurments.