Starting F-Toy - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Formula Toy Forum
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2008, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 107225
Starting F-Toy

I am starting a Formula Toy and was hoping that i could get some good info on how to go about this project. I have read the rules and need some feed back on what to do and what not to do. I already have axles, engine 22r, 5sp tranny and cases and a 85' frame.

Last edited by SteelFuser; 02-02-2008 at 10:57 PM.
SteelFuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2413
Go to the Toyota forum and look at the faq ..there is a list of build threads in there..then come back here with more specific questions ... welcome
Old 01-25-2008, 03:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 107225
I want to compete with this rig so i want to follow the rule, I mainly have questions on that. Can i use any leaf spring that i want? I was thinking 63's in back and 2.5 wranglers in front. What do most people do about a floor pan? the rules say OEM knuckles, does that mean only stock knuckles or can I run aftermarkets like the six shooter?
Old 01-25-2008, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Chubby Chaser

Member # 7889
Send a message via AIM to Mustard Dog
Spend this weekend looking through this forum and it's builds and all your wildest questions will be answered
Hendrix XR Chassis #001

Ultra4 #66 4Wheel Parts, Raceline, PSC, Bilstein, Marlin Crawler, Smittybilt, HendriX, PacificFab, G2 Axle, PAC Spring, G&J, MAXXIS

Roxy's in the industry and I'm a sponsored professional driver. The two of us together make a powerhouse.

Accepting the things I cannot change.
Mustard Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Matt Messer

Member # 39978
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFuser View Post
I am starting a Formula Toy and was hoping that i could get some good info on how to go about this project. I have read the rules and need some feed back on what to do and what not to do. I already have axles, engine 22r, 5sp tranny and cases and a 85' frame.
Glad to see another one started. Feel free to call me anytime a the shop with your questions 559-252-4950. Welcome to the F-toy forum.

Thanks,
Matt
ACE-CAGE-#29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Go to www.formulatoy.org

Most of the completed builds have linked build threads.

Read the FAQ there
Read the Rules page there.

PM Hobie (a2b here) for access to the competitor's forum on formulatoy.org. Read every thread on there (probably only about 2 dozen, as opposed to 500+ in this forum).

There are at least 6 threads going on right now on the very first page of this forum. Read them, as many have current questions.

WElcome!!
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 107225
Well from what i have found so far is that you dont want 63's cause they stick to far out the back and people are running 4" allpro's. Now are those toyota springs?
Old 01-25-2008, 05:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1088
Any leaf spring is legal, any vehicle, anything.

Best bet, look at all the buildup threads you can find, there's a LOT out there, including ours. Figure out what YOU like, what YOU dont, and make a plan from there.

Thank you to our loyal customers!

Diamond Axle
http://www.diamondaxle.com

Diamond axled buggies take 2 1st's, at Worlds WEROCK!!

Front Range Off-Road Fab with NEW forum!
http://www.frontrangeoffroadfab.com

NEW BUILD FTOY #44
/forum/toyota-formula-toy-forum/562295-front-range-builds-new-toy-old-toy-44-a.html
Brian Ellinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 78096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Ellinger View Post
Any leaf spring is legal, any vehicle, anything.

Wow I missed that one. From my reading I got the impression that any aftermarket toyota spring was legal but not chevy's etc. Oh well I'm glad I got my TG 5's anyway. Seems most people like them.

Welcome to Ftoy SteelFuser. I recommend you read all the threads you can. I went through each one at each phase of my build and downloaded the pictures of what each person did and compared them and then looked at my rig and decided on what i liked/disliked about each. Then I tried to see what would work for me on my rig.
Jeep07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 107225
Yeah I have been going through the threads like everybody has been telling me. It just takes forever. What are TG 5's? From what I have been reading it looks like a lot of people are using 4" all pro's and removing some leaves here and there is that the best way?
Old 01-25-2008, 06:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
M1
12Volt Unlimited

Member # 53835
Quote:
Yeah I have been going through the threads like everybody has been telling me. It just takes forever. What are TG 5's? From what I have been reading it looks like a lot of people are using 4" all pro's and removing some leaves here and there is that the best way?
5" lift Trail Gear springs. These seem to be what a lot of people are using, they are taking 2? leaves out from the bottom of the pack. The guys using 3" all pros have complaints about axle wrap. You need to spend A LOT more time reading, you will get a lot of anwers to your questions and a lot of good ideas.

Like us on facebook

Ignition, start, accesory panels
Winch control panels
Vehicle specific panels
UTV panels
M1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 78096
Quote:
Trail gear 5" springs with 2 leafs removed from the pack are getting good results.
Jeep07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 107225
Thanks for the answers guys back to the miles and miles of threads...............
Old 01-25-2008, 08:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 38388
You need to read all build threads and also the toyota FAQs. You were smart to buy a red star, you will need it in searching. Seriously though if you want to build it decently you need to get familiar with toyota parts first, aka toyota forum. Then read all the ftoy forum.

I just read on pirate for a couple of years before I even decided to buy a toyota. Then I spent 3 years wheeling that before I decided I was ready for an ftoy.

They are great vehicles but seriously your time would be better spent reading old posts rather then replying in this thread. Every question you will have has already been covered in old posts. Use your star.
F-Toy #008
Check out the build: [url]http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=601321[/url]
Skii4x$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 30134
Quote:
Thanks for the answers guys back to the miles and miles of threads...............
It sounds like a pain, but reading a TON before you do ANYTHING will be to your benefit.

You get to take all the best parts of all the builds and put them into yours...

Welcome aboard, and yeah, the Trail Gear 5" springs =
azyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 107225
Yeah reading them all will be the best thing to. I know a lot about yota's or atleast I thought I thought i did. I will definitely benefit from reading everything I can before i do anything. Plus save me some cash. I have built a few rigs before but nothing this serious and with rules to follow.Atleast I have some time I'm not buying my Chassis for about a month, so I have some time to go over everything before the first bugger weld. How long does it take to get the chassis from Hendrix once you order?
Old 01-26-2008, 12:10 AM   #17 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 107225
whats the best tranny and t case to run and whats with the 21 or 23 spline mean?
Old 01-26-2008, 06:25 AM   #18 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 36007
Quote:
whats the best tranny and t case to run and whats with the 21 or 23 spline mean?
Read the entire FAQ on the Toy p/u and 4runner forum then read the entire FAQ at the top of this forum.

The best tranny and case would be the ones you already have. The absolutely best you can buy would be the r151 from a turbo truck. It has a 23 spline output. Double up the cases then back that up with 23 spline inputs on your rear case, low gears , use Bobby's Cro-mo output.........it's all in the faq's and build threads.

Now stop reading your own thread and go read all those others before you come back here!!

Welcome to the Ftoy forum.
FT#48 build
"I wanna get me a truck and soop it up with some metal!" -Wingo
mtbrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 06:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
M1
12Volt Unlimited

Member # 53835
Quote:
This should answer some of your questions.
/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/459180-official-pbb-toyota-faq-last-rev-11-2007-a.html

Tranny would be a matter of opinion for an F-toy, length will play a big part in this decision. Research specs of different toy trannys and decide which one suits your needs.

21 or 23 spline is the input gear on the transfer case. The link will tell you more specifics on this topic.

If you keep asking questions like this you better put your flame suit on!!

Like us on facebook

Ignition, start, accesory panels
Winch control panels
Vehicle specific panels
UTV panels
M1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:30 AM   #20 (permalink)
Chubby Chaser

Member # 7889
Send a message via AIM to Mustard Dog
What's your chassis number?
Hendrix XR Chassis #001

Ultra4 #66 4Wheel Parts, Raceline, PSC, Bilstein, Marlin Crawler, Smittybilt, HendriX, PacificFab, G2 Axle, PAC Spring, G&J, MAXXIS

Roxy's in the industry and I'm a sponsored professional driver. The two of us together make a powerhouse.

Accepting the things I cannot change.
Mustard Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:30 AM   #21 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 20739
Send a message via AIM to EarlKann
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard Dog View Post
What's your chassis number?
Looks like he doesn't have one.

Quote:
Atleast I have some time I'm not buying my Chassis for about a month, so I have some time to go over everything before the first bugger weld. How long does it take to get the chassis from Hendrix once you order?

Quote:
I know a lot about yota's or atleast I thought I thought i did. I have built a few rigs before but nothing this serious and with rules to follow.

Quote:
I'm gonna be nice here, cause this is the Formula Toy forum, not the truck and 4runner forum. That tranny question is kind of a red flag that you aren't fully up to speed on Toyota stuff. From what I've seen, most of the F-Toy owners/builders have owned Toyota trail rigs for a while and already know them inside and out. Of course, this isn't a prerequisite for owning/building a Formula Toy. In fact, I think its a great thing that the class may be attracting people who are new to Toyota's.

Pretty much all the questions you've asked so far have an answer here on this board. Spend your next month before you order your chassis reading all the F-Toy build threads and the truck & 4runner faq including all the links. I've personally read them all several times. I know it looks like a lot, but it is well worth the effort.

Good luck,
Donald
Old 01-26-2008, 01:28 PM   #22 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 107225
Well thanks for the input. No I don't know as much about toyota's as I should right now, but what I don't know I'll make up In my fabrication skills. So i guess I'll shut up now and read. See you on the rocks.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:52 PM   #23 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 36007
If you don't have a laptop then print out the FAQs and take them into the "throne room" to read while you're hanging out in there. I may know someone who's done that.
FT#48 build
"I wanna get me a truck and soop it up with some metal!" -Wingo
mtbrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:41 PM   #24 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 292
Quote:
Well thanks for the input. No I don't know as much about toyota's as I should right now, but what I don't know I'll make up In my fabrication skills. So i guess I'll shut up now and read. See you on the rocks.
Write down every question that you can think of. Then PM me your phone number and I will answer as much as I can.
X-Chassis #12
6 time KOH finisher
2008/2009 W.E. Rock West Coast Series Champion
2008 Pro Rock Champion
Just "HAMMER" it!!
My Buildup /forum/general-4x4-discussion/298203-desertoy-mustard-dog-build-pair-x-chassis.html
desertoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:17 PM   #25 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 107225
Thanks desertoy, I will definetly take you up on that offer.