2008 formula Toy class payout - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Formula Toy Forum
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2008, 03:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 292
2008 formula Toy class payout

Here is the payout.

East Coast

1st $150

2nd $100

3rd $50

West Coast

1st $500

2nd $400

3rd $300

This is for each of the 4 events in the east and West series.

Everyone in the class needs to pimp our 4 sponsors every chance we get. I know every team has their own sponsors to take care of, but without ALL of the class sponsors we will have little chance for more growth. So make sure you mention a 4 class sponsors when talking to people.

TRAIL GEAR
FRONT RANGE OFF ROAD
PRP
MARLIN CRAWLER
X-Chassis #12
6 time KOH finisher
2008/2009 W.E. Rock West Coast Series Champion
2008 Pro Rock Champion
Just "HAMMER" it!!
My Buildup /forum/general-4x4-discussion/298203-desertoy-mustard-dog-build-pair-x-chassis.html
desertoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 87023
Nice rant, I use to carry that flag but got tired of being beat down, it is what it is, learn to live with it.
handlebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2008, 05:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 92235
First of all. Thanks to all senior Ftoy guys who have brought the class to this point.

I see the class moving forward. Over the past 2-3 years of prepping to build and building. I have seen F toys on the cover of a mag, in numerous pics in mags, I even saw 3 in a full write up in a mag. Usually I see the class scores for Formula Toyota. West Coast has numerous listings the East Coast may only have John Scheidhauer listed. Dont sell yourself short. Your hard work is paying off. Everytime someone sees my rig they ask how to build one. I have had 6-10 people say they would like to build one and 2-3 say they are going to build one.

Hopefully in the future we will get more coverage, respect, and sponsor money.
I am curious when did the F toy movement start and when was the first comp with 3-5 Ftoys.

Thanks again to all Senior Formula Toyota Guys. I appreciate what you started.
Special thanks to John Scheidhauer for promoting and making it affordable on the east coast.

Last edited by ftoy507; 04-15-2008 at 05:39 PM.
ftoy507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
W.E.ROCK CEO

Member # 3123
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Rich
You want media coverage, will here is how it's done....

First off W.E.ROCK or any promoters job is to get the media to the event....

Once the media is at the event, you need to become media whores and bug the fawk out of them for coverage....

Give them the story lines, ie... John James and Mustard actually hate each other, but they can't wheel with each other

or something like that....

If your just going to stand their and complain that no one shows you any love, well guess what's going to happen

Each team or class, needs to self promote, not just at the events, but anywhere they go.

We promote the series and sport 24/7, everyone involved needs to do the same.

Take tech for an example, we try and find a highly visible area to help promote the sport. But everyone wants to come late and or leave tech early, well that's another wasted opportunity. How many teams call and talk to the newspapers before an event, not just in your area, but where we are going. If I call and ask for coverage, I am just one voice, but imagin if all the teams did the same thing before an event, well that would be 50 to 70 phone calls, might make a differnece.

How many teams write press releases, weither they win or not, find a story line and tell it to your sponsors, your friends, put it out on myspace.com, send it to magazines, etc...

Just trying to answer your question there Krusty

Big
Thanks to our marketing partners: MAXXIS Tires, Trail Gear, NITTRO Gear and Axle, ARTEC Industries, Branik Motorsports, ASR Recovery Gear, SpiderTrax, Dirt Skins, Metal Cloak, Crown Automotive, SuperChips, PSC Steering, Fox Shocks, Axel Off Road, Currie Enterprises, PCI Race Radios

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUKROVER
4 wheeling sure changes when there is a crowd and cones.
http://www.werocklive.com
530-417-5333

http://www.facebook.com/people/Rich-C-Klein/541920521
http://twitter.com/werocklive
http://www.myspace.com/daddyrocks

( @ Y @ ) ( * Y * ) ( . Y . )

Big Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
No Longer Available

Member # 24980
At the same sense, check out all those Pirate pictures. The guy that Won Unlimited Class, he has literally less than 10 photos in the 1000+ photos uploaded. I feel it is all based on how teams are agressive with media. Teams have to remember that most media outlets are actually AFRIAD to come up and talk to you. They do not know anybody there, they do not want to mess up your mojo, and they do not know how to approach people. Wierd but true. One thing that always stood out in my mind was the fact that the guys at SpikeTV were the exact same way. I literally had to go up and introduce myself and personally tell them that if they needed anything at all, including an interview, they could ask me at anytime what-so-ever. After that, it wasn't until I repeated myself 3 times a day every day and made sure they didn't need water, food, supplies, etc that they decided to do an interview at the second day of their second event with me.

So I had to tell them over 10 times before I got any love. Now at events, they come over and hang out and talk and interview and such, mainly because they have no one else that has presented them.

Dustin asked all teams to send him info about the teams so that he can produce story lines. We take these story lines to the media to give them a unique angle to cover the event besides just the standings. Take these opportunities, they are worth every minute, even if they don't turn out right off the bat.

Of course I can handle a crisis. Hell, I create them!

www.werocklive.com
Redefining Extreme!

Save Tellico Post #23
Lil' Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 87023
Well said Big...
Old 04-15-2008, 06:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 87023
And also to Lil, we are ignorant to the media, thanks for the tips... self promoting is something I have never done but I am willing to try it, is offering an adult beverage as an ice-breaker a good thing?? Thanks for you guys input..,sam
Old 04-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
W.E.ROCK CEO

Member # 3123
Quote:
Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
is offering an adult beverage as an ice-breaker a good thing??
Well if your trying to break the ice around me it does

But like Lil said, hound them...

Here's a good example... who is Poison Spyder Customs, where do you see his rigs, where do you see him, what do you really think of his rigs (don't answer that), Just think about Clifton Slays angle of promoting his projects.

He is always involved in anything the Magazine guys are doing, from trail guiding to helping with their projects, to hang out at clubs with the MEDIA, so his stuff is always in the MEDIA

Big
Thanks to our marketing partners: MAXXIS Tires, Trail Gear, NITTRO Gear and Axle, ARTEC Industries, Branik Motorsports, ASR Recovery Gear, SpiderTrax, Dirt Skins, Metal Cloak, Crown Automotive, SuperChips, PSC Steering, Fox Shocks, Axel Off Road, Currie Enterprises, PCI Race Radios

Quote:
530-417-5333

Old 04-15-2008, 07:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 26270
Hey Krusty, check out this gallery and site.

http://www.stevenbisig.exposuremanag...page=5#photo_s

He got some good shots of the FU2 ftoy and others too.

We are small fish in the # 003 Ftoy. We are learning as we go. But you have to promote yourself( like you are a big fish) and your team any way you can think of. Simple things like having shirts made up for driver, spotter and any team members. Introduce yourself as a driver/spotter/team memeber/whatever to everyone especially the guy with the camera. And it doesn't win comps but rolling over seems to help grab attention. I have seen quite a bit of coverage based on carnage.

I really liked the way Perris was set up as far viewing all the courses was concerned. Having the A, B, C course all intermixed let the Media and spectators both get a chance to watch what was going on with the "entry level" classes.
GETTINTHERETOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
AMJ

Member # 3026
Send a message via Yahoo to AMJ
I'll throw my 2 cents into the mix.

I would have loved to get you guys more exposure in the Pirate coverage but if I can't even make out who's rig is going what am I suppose to do "Ah an Ftoy just went up C2, umm I have no idea who it was though" I had a media guide that I used pretty often during the weekend and it had maybe 3 pictures of Ftoys and one of them wasn't even the same color??

If you want more, take a few minutes and update Dustins cheat sheet with pictures and put clear visible numbers on your rig. Just a simple number plate in the rear would work wonders. Its kind of funny that of the pictures GETTINTHERETOY linked the only guy that had numbers was the one running cardboard Of all the Ftoys there are only 2 that really stood out and you could clearly tell who their title sponsor is: FU2 and Tool Chassis.
AMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 36007
The Ftoy class sort of walks a fine line between wanting exposure and hiding behind the big boys so we can maintain our laid back attitude. The couple of West comps that i've been to are more like a fun trail ride atmosphere rather than a cutthroat death race. We want bigger prize money but we want to hang out at the events and have fun instead of making it like a job. I think we are progressing along nicley headed toward a perfect mix of exposure and fun factor. The success of this class is due to the low cost of getting involved and the approachability of the competitors. As the class grows so does our ability to provide exposure to our sponsors and our value to them in terms of return on the dollar. Face it we are the newest kids on the block. What was the payback the first year Ftoys competed? I'll bet we are 3 times that this season. The fact that the east coast even has payback in it's first real year of competition is a statement of the strength of the class. I have zero complaints about the growth and payback. We are all learning the ways of the media and gathering funds to support our class. In a couple years we'll be right there with all the other classes. Thanks Rich's for advice on exposing ourselves. That didn't come out quite right did it?!
FT#48 build
"I wanna get me a truck and soop it up with some metal!" -Wingo
mtbrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Look at Pistol Pete Sohren. The guy's on a dime budget compared to the other desert racers, and next to RG, he gets as much attention (if not more) than anyone! He's approachable, friendly, well-spoken (and he has sort of a cool drawl), and the mullet and sunglasses never hurt, either!!

Of course, having a Pirate 4x4 owner as a co-driver doesn't hurt his exposure much, either. (pretty brilliant move on both Lance's and Petes' parts).
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:35 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 70816
Send a message via MSN to dino1967 Send a message via Yahoo to dino1967
here is on way to do justice to both

/forum/general-4x4-discussion/670475-want-raise-awareness-autism.html
Old 04-16-2008, 07:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ View Post
I'll throw my 2 cents into the mix.

Of all the Ftoys there are only 2 that really stood out and you could clearly tell who their title sponsor is: FU2 and Tool Chassis.
I don't think I could put MARLIN CRAWLER any bigger on the side panel and the roof has a 40" sticker. That doesn't stand out enough???

I do agree that everyone including myself needs to make our numbers bigger. I think Sam and Bernie have done the best job with the numbers.
X-Chassis #12
6 time KOH finisher
2008/2009 W.E. Rock West Coast Series Champion
2008 Pro Rock Champion
Just "HAMMER" it!!
My Buildup http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298203
desertoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
AMJ

Member # 3026
Send a message via Yahoo to AMJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertoy View Post
I don't think I could put MARLIN CRAWLER any bigger on the side panel and the roof has a 40" sticker. That doesn't stand out enough???

I do agree that everyone including myself needs to make our numbers bigger. I think Sam and Bernie have done the best job with the numbers.
I thought it was you guys, but I could have sworn your rig was red Even the picture in the media guide was red
AMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
W.E.ROCK CEO

Member # 3123
Number plates are what we have been pushing for, but meeting more resistance with those than with firesuits

Make a 12"x12" white plate with large black numbers and make it a fin behind the driver so it does not interfer wiht the vision of the driver.

Big

Quote:
530-417-5333

Old 04-16-2008, 11:12 AM   #17 (permalink)
Chubby Chaser

Member # 7889
Send a message via AIM to Mustard Dog
That's no big deal, we can do that.
Hendrix XR Chassis #001

Ultra4 #66 4Wheel Parts, Raceline, PSC, Bilstein, Marlin Crawler, Smittybilt, HendriX, PacificFab, G2 Axle, PAC Spring, G&J, MAXXIS

Roxy's in the industry and I'm a sponsored professional driver. The two of us together make a powerhouse.

Accepting the things I cannot change.
Mustard Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
fire suits suck. thats why i am spotting this year, so i wont have to wear one
a2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
Always Late

Member # 89541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rich View Post
Number plates are what we have been pushing for, but meeting more resistance with those than with firesuits

Make a 12"x12" white plate with large black numbers and make it a fin behind the driver so it does not interfer wiht the vision of the driver.

Big

Already working on that!!!!!!!!!
ToolBox Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 906
firesuit---- HOBIE is a wimp !!!!!!!

one number plate comming up !!

(i still think that yellow / red / orange smoke cummin from the exhast would be a media grabber !!!! )
*Cancer survivor since 02-06*
Grand Marshall -KOH 2012
"Dad' to some of the greatest kids EVER
I was around when Pearl Harbor was bombed !
Krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:40 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 76617
I thought the grabber green frame would stand out also the black panels with white decals. I can see the 5in. white numbers from half a block away and I am half blind. I really thought the whale spout thing would be an attention getter.

F-TOY #22
Hi desert driveline
losi
rcp crawlers
A Samauri is not an f-toy
A samauri is not an f-toy
benttoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:18 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 92235
I saw a cool trick on a hot rod show.
If you want attention weld a spark plug in your exhaust. Put on a switch with 12 volts to the plug. Flip the switch and inject a little propane into the line. WOW Instant flamethrower.
At least I think that is how they did it. It was a few years ago.
ftoy507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:30 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 87023
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertoy View Post

Thanks for the post, I was wondering if the media was walking around with a white cane, 042 is well shown on both sides. I cant see running bigger #s.