Pirate 4x4 banner

Capt Ahab "A Whale of a Tale" - FZJ80 build

119K views 231 replies 42 participants last post by  donald_duck 
#1 · (Edited)
After wheeling my 85runner since 1994 I was ready for a change:)
Bebe offered me her FJ80 to build.Thank you honey Love Ya

Rick and Bebe's
1995 Black FZJ80 stock with no lockers.

In the works are ARB's, gears, 38"BFG KM2's and Allied Rock 8 beadlocks from Tech Tim.6"Ironman lift with a Booger/Bink 3link.Front and rear bumpers and super secret armor from Bink'sFab.

See less See more
#76 ·
The rod ends for all the links came in today just waiting for the link material to get here. We will have updated pics very soon for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

#79 ·
Going to have a tough time stuffing those 38's in the front if you do not move the axle forward at least an inch
Those things will be allover the rear of the fender well
I moved my axle forward about 3/4 to 1 inch and it straightens ot the springs and puts the axle closer to its natural position
When I 3 link it I will move it forward even more

Truck looks good so far
These guys do some nice fab work from what I see and hear

#82 ·
Yes the axles will be moved for proper tire fitment. We got hammered here with bumper orders! Thanks all of y'all who are looking here at this build for your orders they are mucho appreciated. We will be finishing up little odds and ends today and Monday here and back on this old boy Tuesday full force! Theres gonna be some sleepless nights around Binksfab cause I really wanna see this thing at surf and turf!

#85 ·
Sorry i didn't see your post until now.

Small things like gathering parts and prototyping bumpers and sliders off of it.We didn't give Bink a strict deadline on the fab work.So it is what it is.:grinpimp:

Few pictures of parts that came in recently.:smokin:

6" plus Braided Brake lines from Crown Performance

Right hand drive steering arm.Hand delivered from Australia:grinpimp:

Non Carb Nato fuel can:flipoff2:

#89 ·
We have pics!!!! Idk why this shop computer isnt letting me post them. Im gonna cut it up with the plasma!!!! Front 3 link is all worked out and the front axle is out to be prepped for new lower mounts. I ran out of .250 plate so I gotta cut axle mounts tomorrow when I get my sheet of plate. I am fully focused on this thing now and the pics will be flowing. I know y'all probably think I'm a giant slacker so let the jokes fly:D

#90 ·
Heres a few of the upper link. Apparently the shop computer took all the other pics off the camera. Im pretty computer dumb thank god for Jeremy and his intelligence with that stuff. I will have the front suspension cycled tomorrow to make sure theres no wacky steer in the axle during travel:D

Attachments

#91 ·
Lower links on the front should be very straight forward. I am going to make new lower axle side mounts and am trying to utilize the lower frameside mounts. Pauls truck handled well like this all around so I hope this one being that its a bit taller will have the same characteristics.

#93 ·
Hey! Don't call definetly but I wrote to you on facebook:flipoff2: In my defense I told everyone I went up north and then hid at the shop and worked on this!

My stomach is telling me I need to come eat and Oliver says he has some yard searching to do uhhh I mean I need to come up and get Ricks cans and steering stuff:D

#95 ·
PFFFFFTTTT. I had grinder dust and cold burger king french fries....

I seriously hate myself right now:flipoff2: OMG that looks sooooo good!

#97 · (Edited)
Upper link setup looks tits! Please place it in ur xerox machine and make a copy for my truck:)

Edit: i saw the upper link at the shop today. Itssweet! He went so far as to place small bolts on the bracket the land in corresponding holes in the frame. If bink intends on making this a production kit that will make it super simple for shadetree fabricators to get it in the exact location it was intended.... Pure genious mr bink:)

#98 ·
Just a few quick ones. Axle is smoothed and awaiting .250 lower link mounts and link material. Apparently I wasn't high on the priority list of metal deliveries today... I am going to also plate the front faces of this housing by the control arm mounts. Truth be told I poked thru in a small spot with the torches and I was amazingly surprised how thin these housings are! I've welded brackets on Toyota stuff before and just never realized so just in case Rick decides to play bumpercars with some sturdy rocks this housing will have some protection:D

Attachments

#103 ·
So I've been building and rebuilding brackets trying to make everything perfect and I now think I have it dialed. The 4 tabs that make up the lower control arm mounts on the axle end all have their own little raduis to them. I have it perfected and will be offering these for those who want to either link one of these trucks or use them to put this axle under whatever. I'll get into that more later. We trimmed the lower framesides off and moved them back 3". I like these brackets and am just going to gusset the backsides and reweld them on. We wound up with a lower link thats 34.250 and an upper thats 32.500. I will be cutting links to length for the lowers and welding my brains out tomorrow!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.