Operation: WTH was I thinking - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wait this ain't Tx..

Member # 9380
Send a message via AIM to TxCruzr
Operation: WTH was I thinking

or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Sawzall...

Long story short, the TLC needs some TLC. She was parked at my parents place for the past 5 years or so and was sadly neglected. Now that I finally have a place to work on the old girl it's time to fix the cancer and all the hacked crap that has been done to her.

The first thing I did when I got it down here was start prodding at the bubbled paint below the tailgate....bad idea The whole rear sill is gone along with the back of both 1/4 panels. I contemplated how to tackle it, but in the end wanted to keep the full body so I order some budbuild 1/4 panels.

Other plans are to stretch the rear some more. Thinking about FJ-60 rear springs but every time I find a set I don't hear back from the person so I might end up with waggy springs in the rear. If anyone has a rear pair of 60 springs you know who to contact Also going to redo the traction bar, rear shock mounts, and x-members while I'm down there. A new cage, seats, and fuel cell are also on the list. Originally I was planning on contracting the cage out but I picked up a copy of Bend-Tech so I might give it a whirl...or ruin a ton of DOM, either way. And lastly I hope an Orion find's it's way in there at some point. Also need to make a new skid and x-member down there as well.

I want to hit Cruise Moab next year but I just bought a house so progress will probably be slow.

On the way to her new home in Arizonaahh
Attached Images

'69 FJ-40 - under construction

Last edited by TxCruzr; 05-02-2012 at 05:47 PM.
TxCruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wait this ain't Tx..

Member # 9380
Cruiser cancer
Also the tailgate is in pretty bad shape. Probably the one part that pisses me off the most. I'm going to try to fix it but I'm not getting my hopes up.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wait this ain't Tx..

Member # 9380
And with all that bondo I found I'm learning that this isn't the first time she had the cancer.

Haven't gotten much done yet. Mocked up the BudBuilt 1/4 panels and started unbolting junk. Ended up having to cut the rear bumper off I was hopping to reuse it as the rear x-member but guess not. I'll have to wait till next week so I can get some help to get the cage and fuel tank out before I can start welding the the support braces and cutting out the 1/4 panels.
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wait this ain't Tx..

Member # 9380
Not much progess, work gets in the way of cruiser time

Finally finished up a cross member for the trans/tcase. Originally it was mounted to the stock skid plate but that was a joke as it was flimsy and hung low. I'll build a new skid later and for the most part it should be flat except for under the tail end of the tcase

Filled in the fuel door on the new 1/4 panels. I'm going to ditch the stock tank for fuel cell and have the filler neck on the driver side so that I can fill it up on the trailer without having to fill up the truck and move to fill up the 40.

Would have gotten more done today but I sliced my hand open
Next is to pull the cage and tank and add some bracing before cutting the rear out. Also need to get a 220 line run to the garage, unplugging the dryer is getting old.
Also have a crazy idea of a 4-link but I'm hoping that's just from the loss of blood
Attached Images

Last edited by TxCruzr; 10-01-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 140040
Subscribed

Last edited by GLTHFJ60; 09-29-2011 at 07:48 PM.
GLTHFJ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 56470
Im on my way to home plate on a similar build. Did a frame off though, but rust issues were very similar.

Good luck!
Old 09-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Moderating Midget

Member # 1154
Send a message via AIM to wngrog
Cool to see you back.

Are you going to rivet the quarter in place?

What did they cost from Budbuilt? Is that steel?
www.cottonlandcruisers.com
www.rockmidgetphotography.com

USAF Veteran 1988-1998 GOD Bless America
wngrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Wait this ain't Tx..

Member # 9380
I'm glad to be done with the web wheeling, or almost

I'm going full retard and cutting the old panels out and welding these in and using a section of 2x2 box to replace whats left of the rear seal. I originally thought it was a rust free cruiser years ago but I keep finding bondo I Figured I'm never going to sell her so I need to get this rust crap taken care of now before the body just falls off.

Panels are 3/16" steel I wanna say they were $350 shipped for the pair.

Gonna hopefully try to make cruiser moab next year.

Last edited by TxCruzr; 09-30-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
TJK

Member # 8888
Sounds like I need to make a trip down the mountain to Lenoir, have a chat with Bud. I didn't know he sold those panels. Does he do installation work also?

TJK
Kaderabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 15372
Send a message via AIM to Slowerthanu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaderabek View Post
Sounds like I need to make a trip down the mountain to Lenoir, have a chat with Bud. I didn't know he sold those panels. Does he do installation work also?

TJK
He will also offset the wheel opening for those with stretched wheelbase and eliminate the gas door opening for those not in need.

"Just remember, you are unique............Just like everybody else!"
Slowerthanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wait this ain't Tx..

Member # 9380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowerthanu View Post
He will also offset the wheel opening for those with stretched wheelbase and eliminate the gas door opening for those not in need.
Now you tell me, I didn't even think to ask.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 15372
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCruzr View Post
Now you tell me, I didn't even think to ask.
Lol, I looked at the pictures after and was like "oops".

Yeah, I emailed him because I have an aluminum tub and wanted to beef up the sides, change the wheel opening and since I am running propane, eliminate the door opening.

I think you should do the 4 link, WTH right?

Old 10-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Wait this ain't Tx..

Member # 9380
Kinda what I'm thinking. I'm already in over my head, why stop now . I got to drive dhondagod's 40 a while back and really liked his setup with the 1/4 elliptical.

I was actually reading a lot about propane setups last night. What motor are you running and did you put the setup together yourself or did you get it as a kit? How much propane do you typically go thru in a day? I've had great luck with the qjet but eventually need to take the FI plunge. Can probably get 2 33lb forklift tanks for the price of a fuel cell and hardware. Gas station just down the street has propane so filling up locally won't be an issue.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Wait this ain't Tx..

Member # 9380
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago View Post
Im on my way to home plate on a similar build. Did a frame off though, but rust issues were very similar.

Good luck!
Thanks. I've been lurking on mud getting ideas from your build and a few others. I'd love to pull the body and clean everything up better but I know there's no way I'd ever finish if I took it that far. After all can't make it too pretty, its still gotta be dragged across the rocks after all!

Old 10-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 15372
Quote:
Kinda what I'm thinking. I'm already in over my head, why stop now . I got to drive dhondagod's 40 a while back and really liked his setup with the 1/4 elliptical.

I was actually reading a lot about propane setups last night. What motor are you running and did you put the setup together yourself or did you get it as a kit? How much propane do you typically go thru in a day? I've had great luck with the qjet but eventually need to take the FI plunge. Can probably get 2 33lb forklift tanks for the price of a fuel cell and hardware. Gas station just down the street has propane so filling up locally won't be an issue.
I used a "Got Propane" kit and was very happy with it, Cary was awesome to deal with.

I will generally use an entire tank in a day of running trails, that is leaving my parents house in Moab, driving to the trail, running it for about 6-8 hours and coming home. I then pull the tank and refill it. I run two tanks to be safe. I use about the same amount in propane that my buddies do in gasoline, I am running a stock 2F.

Propane works well but has its obvious disadvantages.

1. I need to build a rack above the tanks for tool and cooler mounting, the Propane takes it up.

2. Removing and switching tanks can be a hassle at times, just requires a little extra planning.

3. not spilling fuel or having starvation issues is awesome.

4. The lack of wiring makes it simple and easy to diagnose.

5. I have not noticed any real power loss with tuning (timing and A/F adjustments).

6. Your friends will tease you (mine did) about having a BBQ truck, but they don't tease you at fill up where your fuel is generally about a dollar less or more.

I am purchasing more tanks as I like to have extras, I'll build a rack in my Ford to hold the extras when I trailer the rig to wherever.

Dan

Old 10-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 13666
can't wait to see her done ... great to see you back at it again

[URL="http://www.texas4x4.org/gallery/new-60"]85FJ60[/URL] SOLD

[URL="http://www.texas4x4.org/gallery/82-BJ42"]82BJ42[/URL] 3B,H55, Fj60 p/s.... And a boat load of parts in the garage

[b]GIT-R-DONE!!!! [/b]

low riders want SWITCHES... 4 wheelers want SHIFTERS
kling-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Wait this ain't Tx..

Member # 9380
I should have named this thread "I bet I can take longer than flatty"

I just cut the open area part of the body panel off then came back and grabbed the part that is spot welded to the wheel well with some vice grips and yanked. Pulled right off, thank you rust
I was surprised how well the new panel fit up, just popped right into place.

At this rate I'll be finished by christmas if I'm lucky Going to take some vacation this month to try to make some progress.
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 184781
Nice start on your build. Oh yeah, your 40 is 'rust free' compared to the 40's out here...
Old 01-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 8568
Bad ass man. Good to see u back at it.
TLCA# 5305
RustyNailJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #20 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 23069
I've been flip-floppin on buying a set of those quarter panels for a long time but now after seeing them in place and knowing I can omit the gas filler and move the wheelwell opening, I'm going to take some measurements tonight and order a set TOMORROW!

65' FJ40 Uninstalled parts piling up blah,blah,blah......
Evergreen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:02 AM   #21 (permalink)
Wait this ain't Tx..

Member # 9380
You won't be disappointed. You can see the radius of the bend in them so if you're doing a stock resto they might not be the best choice but for something that's going to smack into rocks they're perfect.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 15372
Quote:
You won't be disappointed. You can see the radius of the bend in them so if you're doing a stock resto they might not be the best choice but for something that's going to smack into rocks they're perfect.
I thought you gave up, nice to see you at it again.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #23 (permalink)
Wait this ain't Tx..

Member # 9380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowerthanu View Post
I thought you gave up, nice to see you at it again.
Work gets in the way and I work nights so by time I wake up the day is half over

Got a little more done. Passenger side is all welded up and just needs a little more sanding. Driver side about half way welded.
Replaced the rear seal with some 4x2 I had laying around...should be strong enough Welded a dropped down lip onto the 4x2 so the floor could sit on the lip and fit flush with the 4x2.
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #24 (permalink)
Wait this ain't Tx..

Member # 9380
Hopefully finish up the welding and fill in a few more random holes tomorrow and then cut the rockers and figure out what I'm going to do there. Found the drain holes were plugged so the bottom of the rockers is good as gone.

Next I need to buy a bender and start wasting tube

Also need to find a couple of tweaked out meth heads to finish scraping up the rest of the herculiner. I hate that crap

Last edited by TxCruzr; 02-15-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 85813
Are you just welding edges of the plate corners to the sheet metal where you cut the old shit out? Looking to do this to my 40 tub and I'm not sure if I want to cut the old stuff out or just bolt on the plate similar to how the jeep crowd installs corner guards....
E WHEELER is offline   Reply With Quote