Pirate 4x4 banner

Project Homewrecker

7K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  Spacecwboy 
#1 · (Edited)
have been meaning to post this build in here but never got around to it. now that i am wrapping it up and all my friends are out of town this weekend actually wheeling I decided I would go ahead and post my build thread.

Background:

I had an F-Toy (#125) for about a year, built it up to a very capable rig, but living in Southeast Texas the closest wheeling is 4 hours+ away so I wanted a dual purpose rig. Something I could hit the trails in but still cruise to work in. I wanted something different and it had to be family friendly. The search was on to find something. I wound up with a 1974 FJ40 out of Louisiana. I literally got it home and 2 days later started cutting the body off. The frame was rusted completely through in one place and the body was severely rusted. Here is what we have come up with so far on the build.

Leaving Louisiana in the broad day light

It looked pretty stock but under the hood is a Carb'd Vortec 4.3l backed up by a 700r4 auto trans. it was adapted to toyota xfer case but i ditched it along with the axles.

started picking up parts here and there to start the build with.
Dana300

Dana 60- Dodge axle with ford outers, narrowed 1"

a box full of tabs and brackets

Coilovers- 14" Racerunners with dual rate kits

14 Bolt FF with truss

ARB locker for the rear

See less See more
#30 ·
a few updates (will also round up pics)..

trailered it up to Hot Springs to the Superlift part for the shakedown run. Ran fine on the carb until I hit the first trail. spent half the day trying to get it to crank back up every time it would die out from flooding. Put it back on the trailer and rode with a buddy the rest of the weekend. Trail Gods-1, Spacecwboy-0

got home swapped carb out in favor of propane. spent way too much time and money getting it running. loaded it up on the trailer again and took off to the Toyota Jamboree in Gilmer TX. Did awesome on the access roads and short trails when it was getting really good airflow. not so good on the slow trails. spent most of my weekend doing the Tennessee style of rock bouncing out of fear of overheating. Rock Gods- 2, Spacecwboy- 0

got home (pissed again) and pulled out all of the propane and jumped head first into a TBI swap and complete re-wire via a Painless wiring harness and a friend who rewired all the lights on the FJ. knock on wood, as of the moment it is running pretty well. I worked on the timing and idle today. I am not having much luck with the PS pump putting out enough pressure to allow me to steer at idle. while it doesnt seem like a huge deal at first, that means I cant turn at a stop sign or go around a corner unless I get into the gas and get the RPM's upwards of 1400 rpm. I am using a stock pump which i know is part of the problem. I have a PSC pump to upgrade to, just not a reservoir or all the hoses at the moment. it is too damn hot to go ride now, so come October I will hopefully be able to get it on the trails. until then it is my new weekend cruiser once i get it inspected.

#34 · (Edited)
The ORI's are awesome. zero complaints! I was going to run the sway aways because they were cheaper but after you factor in 4 limit straps, the coilovers, springs, 2 sway bars and all the other things that were involved in setting them up properly, it was actually cheaper to buy the ORI's and be done with it. at speed they ride awesome. there are some open areas at one of the parks where we ride where you can get up some speed, unfortunately there are 6-8" rocks and small washouts all over it, we took off across it at 30-40mph and they absorbed every bit of it. the guys that we ride with all want to switch now. You will be hard pressed to find a better setup unless you have something custom set up for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.