Pirate 4x4 banner

Project Homewrecker

7K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  Spacecwboy 
#1 · (Edited)
have been meaning to post this build in here but never got around to it. now that i am wrapping it up and all my friends are out of town this weekend actually wheeling I decided I would go ahead and post my build thread.

Background:

I had an F-Toy (#125) for about a year, built it up to a very capable rig, but living in Southeast Texas the closest wheeling is 4 hours+ away so I wanted a dual purpose rig. Something I could hit the trails in but still cruise to work in. I wanted something different and it had to be family friendly. The search was on to find something. I wound up with a 1974 FJ40 out of Louisiana. I literally got it home and 2 days later started cutting the body off. The frame was rusted completely through in one place and the body was severely rusted. Here is what we have come up with so far on the build.

Leaving Louisiana in the broad day light

It looked pretty stock but under the hood is a Carb'd Vortec 4.3l backed up by a 700r4 auto trans. it was adapted to toyota xfer case but i ditched it along with the axles.

started picking up parts here and there to start the build with.
Dana300

Dana 60- Dodge axle with ford outers, narrowed 1"

a box full of tabs and brackets

Coilovers- 14" Racerunners with dual rate kits

14 Bolt FF with truss

ARB locker for the rear

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
install kits and 5.38 gears

winch plate and skid plate materials

Autometer Phantom Gauges and Trail Candy custom gauge pod (gotta get a new tach that matches)

A bunch of Ballistic Joints (I HATE Ballistic at this point)

NP241, dual case adapter

while i was amassing this pile of parts, we started making progress on the body. first was to tackle the rear since it was FUBAR'd. the frame was completely rusted through and the parts that were still complete were sketchy at best in many places. so we cut off the frame and tubed it.

#3 · (Edited)
then we started mocking up the 4 link in the rear and some bracing.

and welded...

and welded...

then moved up front to figure out what to do. was easier without body panels in the way

then got set up to start cutting

And working on a 4 link that wouldn't fit so we made it a 3 link.

#10 ·
117 i believe is the wheel base

full hydro that i had PSC design for me to run at 70mph (not that i will get that fast on 42's). I have spoken to several DPS troopers and none of them seem to care or think it is a problem as long as it is safe.

#16 ·
After doing a LOT of thinking (and applying for a new grant from the war department ...A.K.A. Wife) I decided to ditch the coil overs. i figured by the time i bought everything else i was going to need to be streetable (top springs, 2 sway bars, limit straps x4, air bumps) I was going to have to cut some other corners. so I ordered a set of 14" ORI's. i expect them sometime in the next 2 weeks. Hope to wrap this project up by the first of February.

#17 ·
ORI's will be here tomorrow along with the Triple Stick Shifters from Northwest Fab. Got the new wheels painted and mounted up. Now just need to get driveshafts and skid plate done. Will get some updates pics tonight when i get home from work.

#18 · (Edited)
a few more updates and pictures.

had Trailcandy.com build me a custom gauge pod to fit all my gauges in since i had some random size gauges. we had to build it bigger than normal and remove the notch for the steering shaft, but i was still able to clearance it all.

got the skins mocked up and mounted. i am not 100% happy with them, but a little work with them will clean them up and fix the spots i dont like.

I KNEW I was going to have problems with the outer stub shafts on the dana 60 since they were stock. the inners were already upgraded, so I went ahead and sprung for the outer stubs in 4340 Chromo. While I was at it I got some drive flanges.

got the ARB installed and modified the rear truss/diff cover to be a single piece.

decided to upgrade from the Race Runner coil-overs, these things are a BEAST.

#19 · (Edited)

started on the exhaust tonight. the stock stuff is 2.25", we are doing a "Y" pipe in the same size. At the flange we will switch to 3" pipe for a deeper sound.

also started on the floor boards this week. once we get the transfer case stabbed and a new mount made for it I will attempt to skin the floors. wish me luck!

#26 ·
not yet. were to the tedious part of wrapping up the little stuff. I am down to tweaking a few things but it is running and drive-able. i will update pics this weekend, it is flooding outside and my fab guy is out of town so I wont get a lot done this weekend. We are heading to Hot Springs on the 23rd of this month so I have a deadline to meet now. Maybe this will help spur me along to get it done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.