Pirate 4x4 banner

Formiga Rosa (Old School FJ45 Desert Racer Find)

44K views 164 replies 55 participants last post by  rugburn 
#1 · (Edited)
I am sure this will be a long winded thread but I got her home today and I am really excited. I could not wait to share it with my Pirate brothers.

2 Weeks ago I had a friend/coworker ask me if I see any early 70's FJ40's come up for sale let him know. He sold his a few years ago and kicks him self for it. We started bull shittin and he said there is a ranch out of town a ways that has one of those Land Cruiser trucks in the field. WHAT!??? We ventured out to the peoples ranch and sure enough tucked back in the trees a short Bed 45.
I talked with the woman who was home and she said it was her dads. It had not been running or driving for years. I asked her if she was interested in selling and she said yes. I gave her my number and said let me know as soon as you decide on a price. A week went by and I had not heard a thing. I could not take the suspense and I drove out to her ranch. She said she had lost my number but had a price in mind. I happily forked over her asking price and the story's started flowing.
Her dad bought it new in 1966 in Salinas CA. He had always been into four wheeling but really wanted to desert race. Some time in the late 60's or early 70's he raced this at least once in NORRA Mexican 1000. It spent the rest of its life on the Rubicon and Northern CA trails. There are a ton of stories with this thing. We are working to get the video of him racing converted to DVD so I can attach it to the story of the resurrection of this old rig.

So what does "Formiga Rosa" mean? Where does it come from? The words are Portuguese this is what this rig was called by the race teams back in the 60's. The "Red Ant".

I am not exactly sure what direction I will be taking this very cool 45 but it will be based on its history. Build and more stories to come.

Where the Ant was resting for years.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Very Cool!!

This is a ****** find!:D

I suggest you come down to the 45 Run this year. Once you attend one, you will be wanting to go every year.

#15 ·
Kelly spent a few hours cleaning the dirt/mud, rat nests, rat shit, years of sitting soot out of the Cruiser today. We found some good news. The floors in the cab and the bed are in excellent condition. No rust to speak of in these areas. Also found new in the Bag from Toyota, lenses for all the lights including the rear tail lights.
Not sure on motor yet. I was thinking 2F for simplicity, Toyota, Cheep but really thinking some kind of FI V8. It had a V8 in it from the 60's. I am thinking update. 6.0, or a 5.3. I cant decide on transmission...... Thoughts?

Axles are going to be Just updated 40 axles with discs. FJ60 steering box.

Kelly is in love with this thing and for now she just wants it to be running and driving. She likes the look of the faded paint and rough body.

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
that is too f'n cool, the translator I found from Portuguese to English said
"Pink Ant", which does not strike fear into my soul.......you gonna post it in the 45 forum on Mud, those guys would cream......:smokin::smokin::smokin::smokin:

There is a guy over there reproing the chain covers for the tailgate.......I have 2 sets ordered......
Some really good repo stuff happening ........hubcaps decals etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.