Desperately Seeking Flexy Little Bitch! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2003, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 12186
Desperately Seeking Flexy Little Bitch!

Hey guys,
Need your opinions on this one.
Iíve been considering a change in the flex department lately. Iíve had my rig for only a short time and quickly realized that she donít flex like a 12 year old. Iíve been tossing around a few ideas and canít really come up with a game plan. My long-term goal is SO 1 tons and 38ís with roughly 100-105 inch wheelbase. Iím currently SU w/4Ē SkyJacker springs and 1 ĹĒ or 2Ē longer shackles. Built 1 tons are a ways down the road right now although I may have a line on a 60/14 FR combo for around $500.
My dilemma here is that Iíve had her for a very short time and she does very well minus the ďflexĒ thing so Iím not to keen on a complete suspension revamp. Iíve thought about a quick ďkit typeĒ SR and SO, but am unsure what to do about springs. I sure as hell donít want an SO with 4Ē lift springs do I? Could I simply pull springs from the packs I have or would that be even more retarded? Will a SR alone help flex? Should I just wheel what I have today until I get everything together for the SO 1-ton, 38Ē, WB-lengthening all in one shot?

Hereís the other kicker, I need tires pretty bad right now and canít decide if I should get 5 new 35Ē MTRís right now and run them until I do the swap. Or try to find a decent used set of 4 or 5 35Ē whatevers to get me by.

Iím so confused please help guide me!
Old 02-25-2003, 03:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2482
Flex is over rated.

Lockers will help you in the lack of flex department. I say lock that fawker and save your $$$ for the conversion (you're gonna need every spare penny you can find)

save me a spot bro......i'll miss you...
GloNDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2003, 04:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 15372
Send a message via AIM to Slowerthanu
I agree, I hated my SU setup until I locked the front and rear, now it wheels like a new vehicle.

I plan on a SO as soon as I have the resources.

BTW, whats the best place to find good used FJ-55 rear springs and FJ-40 front springs (Both stock)?

"Just remember, you are unique............Just like everybody else!"
Slowerthanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 04:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 15205
What?

Quote:
Originally posted by GloNDark
Flex is over rated.
I COMPLETELY disagree! Both are equally important (more emphasis on lockin' it up though) But thinking of cost efectiveness, you can achieve both at a relatively low cost.
Especially dealing w/ D60's or 14bolt... spool/weld (with the $ saved there, put rear discs on & get rid of that big ass drum!)Articulation? Sure SR is always the way to go, but that's the front.
For better flex, you better emphasize on the rear... Quarter Elliptic? VERY effective/inexpensive... OR even more simple, LONGER leaf springs (rear) I've seen those Z71 rear springs flex pretty damn well!
PERFECT EXAMPLE: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...&highlight=RTI
Scroll down to see mini truck w/ no flex almost roll (sure it's on a RTI ramp, but the same goes for on the trail) You may not need as much flex as the lime green 45(quarter-elliptic-rear), but you do need some!
DO BOTH!
D60/14 COMBO...$500? GREAT DEAL!
4" springs w/SO? TOOOOOOO MUUUUUUUUUCH
Just swap the axles now to prevent any more broken birfields

Last edited by bruter; 02-25-2003 at 04:30 PM.
bruter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 04:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 6943
Lockers.........gearing.............suspension
Old 02-25-2003, 04:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 15205
Quote:
Originally posted by KMAN
.........gearing.............
Automatic
Old 02-25-2003, 05:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 5286
Send a message via Yahoo to Jason M
Quote:
Flex is over rated.

Coming from double shackle boy?????

With 32" tires, a shackle lift, SU, lockers and an SM420 I ran the rubicon without any need for a tug. I actually did a lot better than a couple of friends with rear lockers, SO, 35's and V8's.

Now of course I consider that my excellent driving is what made most of the difference . But lockers are amazing..

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RECENT ORDER FROM OUR SEX TOYS WEBSITE.

YOU'VE REQUESTED THE LARGE RED VIBRATOR AS FEATURED ON OUR WALL DISPLAY.

PLEASE SELECT ANOTHER ITEM.

THAT'S OUR FIRE EXTINGUISHER
Jason M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 08:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 2482
Quote:
Originally posted by Jason M

Coming from double shackle boy?????

With 32" tires, a shackle lift, SU, lockers and an SM420 I ran the rubicon without any need for a tug. I actually did a lot better than a couple of friends with rear lockers, SO, 35's and V8's.

Now of course I consider that my excellent driving is what made most of the difference . But lockers are amazing..
Yeah double shackle boy. BUT!! I ran lockers, SM420 and a ton of other mods before I had the $$ to do the full width conversion.

I am not saying flex is un-important. Just that if he is gonna save his money and do the conversion right, lock it now and wheel the piss out of it. Then when he has all the parts, do the conversion.

Old 02-26-2003, 08:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 5286
Send a message via Yahoo to Jason M
Quote:

Yeah double shackle boy. BUT!! I ran lockers, SM420 and a ton of other mods before I had the $$ to do the full width conversion.

I am not saying flex is un-important. Just that if he is gonna save his money and do the conversion right, lock it now and wheel the piss out of it. Then when he has all the parts, do the conversion.
I thought I said that too

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RECENT ORDER FROM OUR SEX TOYS WEBSITE.

YOU'VE REQUESTED THE LARGE RED VIBRATOR AS FEATURED ON OUR WALL DISPLAY.

PLEASE SELECT ANOTHER ITEM.

THAT'S OUR FIRE EXTINGUISHER
Jason M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 09:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 12186
Shit guys I guess I could have been a little less unclear. I already have f/r ARB's and 4 wheel discs. My truck will "get it" as is. I'm just a little disconcerted about lifting tires all over the place. She doesn't articulate well at all. I'm hella uptight about off camber stuff as it is, but off camber tilty shit with one tire liftin feelin like a flop about to happen shit really gets my panties in a bunch. I guess I'm looking for a little instant gratification here.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:42 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 107
Send a message via AIM to The Jerk Send a message via MSN to The Jerk Send a message via Yahoo to The Jerk
Quote:
Originally posted by bruter

Automatic
like wheeling with the blind! jiMMy
Old 02-26-2003, 11:01 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 2482
Quote:
Originally posted by BMAN
My truck will "get it" as is. I'm hella uptight about off camber stuff as it is, but off camber tilty shit with one tire liftin feelin like a flop about to happen shit really gets my panties in a bunch. I guess I'm looking for a little instant gratification here.
Well damn dude, put those wider axles in there and never look back. I love my current setup. Places that would be major pucker factor before and no big deal now for me. The stability is unreal. Of course there isn't a stock mount left on my frame for the suspension, and that helped with the flex as well. I am currently maxing out a set of 12 inch travel shocks in the front, and have some 12 inch travel shocks in the rear mounted at an angle so they don't max out. MUCHO TRAVEL!

Old 02-26-2003, 11:20 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 12186
FUCK MAN!!! I didn't even think about my fucking shocks limiting the axle droop. What a fukin moron I am. I'll check that out and see if a simple shock swap will get me some more droop. What kind of shocks are you running for 12" of travel?
Old 02-26-2003, 11:34 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 2482
Quote:
FUCK MAN!!! I didn't even think about my fucking shocks limiting the axle droop. What a fukin moron I am. I'll check that out and see if a simple shock swap will get me some more droop. What kind of shocks are you running for 12" of travel?
Well I wasn't sayin your shocks are the limiting factor. But hey it's worth a shot. See if in fact they are holding things up.

Rancho 9012 front and some Bilsteins in 5100's in the rear. (I love the bilsteins and I will never ever ever ever ever ever buy another set of POS rancho shocks, they are crap compared)

Last edited by GloNDark; 02-26-2003 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:40 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 12186
Bilstein 5100's eh? Are they all 12" travel or must you specify?

I know you didn't say that the shocks were my problem but when I read your post it just jumped out at me. I'll definately check them out to make sure that they're not the problem.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:54 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 2482
Quote:
Bilstein 5100's eh? Are they all 12" travel or must you specify?
ah beats me. I borrowed a complete set from my buddy so I could see if I liked em. Oh yeah, bad ass shocks. He had an old set there that he let me have. When the $$$ is back in my pocket after refinancing our house I will be talk to Mike and getting a complete set of em from Shaffers here in Carson City.

Old 02-26-2003, 02:48 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 6588
Quote:

toatally agree lockers should be the first mod, they are one of the best

flex is wayyyy overrated

guys over here spend big bucks getting them flexy and have no idea you cna go to far!! (slinky) and they still havent ponied up on lockers
Old 02-26-2003, 02:50 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 12186
Quote:
Originally posted by BJ On Roids

toatally agree lockers should be the first mod, they are one of the best

flex is wayyyy overrated

guys over here spend big bucks getting them flexy and have no idea you cna go to far!! (slinky) and they still havent ponied up on lockers
Uhm yeah. I'l get right on that.
Old 02-26-2003, 02:51 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 6588
Hey BMAN

that front 60 and 14 bolt? you interested in keeping your cruiser axles? get longfields and treat the inners, itll be good for up to 38s!!

Im interested in buying the 60, we can get 14BFF anchors down here

What side drop?
What gears?
cmawwn
Old 02-26-2003, 03:02 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 12186
Passenger drop 60 w/ 4.11's. Centered 14bolt w/ same gears. I'm not real sure on the whole story yet though. The dude I'm hookin up with is out of town for 2 weeks so it's kinda on the back burner. If I get the deal put together, I'm planning on buying the lot and tossing them in the garage until I get them built. I probably would keep the cruiser axles until I had the swap complete on the full width shiat! I wont even begin to tear down my junk until I've got the axles ready and all the other stuff for the swap sitting in the garage. Long term teardown is out of the question. I have to wheel at least 2 or 3 times a month or I start going into convulsions. Once I score my junk I'm gonna have this dude keep his eyes out for more of the same. Shit just falls in his lap.

Last edited by BMAN; 02-26-2003 at 03:04 PM.
BMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 05:32 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 15372
Send a message via AIM to Slowerthanu
My ranchos totally limit travel on my front end, but the rear end is limited by the arched springs, I payed $80 for the downey extended shock kit, allows for a 5 and 1/2 inch longer shock up front.

"Just remember, you are unique............Just like everybody else!"
Slowerthanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 09:37 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 12186
GLO,

Good call on the shocks! I disco'd the fronts only and put her on a pile of concrete out by the house until I lifted the rear by about an inch then pulled the shock down only to find it was about 4 1/2 inches short. Not to mention that the rear shock (still connected) seemed to be the only reason I lifted in the rear.
I'll be moving the rear mounts next week but the fronts will need a little more modding to get them into shape. I'll have to relocate the battery so I can get a taller tower in there.

Slow,
How are you liking that downey kit. Got pics?
Old 03-05-2003, 09:41 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 2482
RIGHT ON!!! Now.....PICS!!!

I realized last weekend that my ranchos are limiting my front travel big time. But that's a good thing, because my brake lines (Extended SS lines, mounted under the frame) couldn't take much more extension. So now I get to decide what to do about that.

Old 03-05-2003, 11:03 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 12186
HERE IS A PIC OF HER PRETTY MUCH MAXED OUT!

I'm thinking about those ford towers. does anyone know offhand what the measurement is from top of frame rail to the centerline of upper shock bolt is on a stock tower?
Old 03-05-2003, 11:33 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 2482
Quote:
HERE IS A PIC OF HER PRETTY MUCH MAXED OUT!

I'm thinking about those ford towers. does anyone know offhand what the measurement is from top of frame rail to the centerline of upper shock bolt is on a stock tower?
if no one else has it handy, I can go measure the ones on my buddies jeep sometime this week.