Caster shims...Do I need them? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2003, 07:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 17146
Caster shims...Do I need them?

I did a shackle reversal and used the longer shackles, F/R, that came with the kit. Seems like I raised the thing equally so caster shouldn't have changed, just the driveline angle. So my question is do I need them with respect to steering? Only raised it about 1 1/2" so I'm not worried about driveline angle problems.
Thanks,
Ed Long
TLCA #14529
Degnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 07:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 1007
Need to check your caster angle in order to answer the question. Do you have an angle finder?
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2003, 07:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 17146
No, I don't. That's not like a Skyhook, or left handed #2 Phillips, is it? Can I make or rent one?
Ed
TLCA #14529
Old 03-09-2003, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 25
I got a fairly decent angle guage at a local hardware store. It's got like a 4 inch dial with a magnetic base. That'll give you an idea of where you're at.

Did you cut and turn the axle housing for that shackle reversal ?
If not you may never get it right.....and you're likely to encounter some other problems along with the caster issue.
Check it out ... Member #25
Reddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 10:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 8568
take your pick 11.00$ on the left 140.00 on the right. Sad part is I use the one on the left cause the battery is always dead on the Aero.
Attached Images

TLCA# 5305
RustyNailJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 12:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1858
Don't know if you have a Harbor Freight in your area... but they have them for $4-5, haven't used one but they look ok. Good Luck
U4WDA - Member
TLCA #10662
Wasatch Cruisers #028
Mountain Yoats
Red Rock 4 Wheelers #789
Mojave Underground
kurt@cruiseroutfitters.com
cruiseroutfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 06:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 17146
OK, so where do I mount the angle finder? On top of the steering arms? And what should the reading be?
Seems like since I raised both the spring anger and the shackle length, did I really change the caster? OK, OK, I'm still going to measure it.
Thanks for all the help. You guys are nice, or maybe I haven't asked the appropriate dumbass question...yet.
Ed Long
TLCA #14529
Old 03-10-2003, 08:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 260
Send a message via Yahoo to woody
with the shackle reversal and longer shackles, you should be ok. factory is +1 degree. you probably added 1.5" in the front with the reversal and 1.5" longer shackles.

stick with the cruiser clowns and you should keep the flames to a minimum....lol
Old 03-10-2003, 11:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 11849
OK, so where do I mount the angle finder?

This is a durned good question. Another is, what do you compare the angle against? You can not assume that where you parked is level (especially since we are talking a couple degrees). I have had cruiser mechanics glance at my front axle and say, "You need more caster"... But when I had it aligned, I already had +4 degrees. You can't really put the angle finder on the top ofthe knuckle, you will never get a true reading (the knuckles are not flat side to side).

So, do you put the angle finder on the front pinion flange (with driveshaft removed)? This is assuming you haven't cut'n'rotated (if you have, you need to add/sbtract that amount of degrees Then what are you comparing it to? A flat spot on the frame? I mean, the caster is the angle of the steering... but in relation to what? It should be in relation to the rest of the vehicle. That way, no matter if the truck is on a slant, or on uneven ground, as long as the steering geometry in relation to the rest of the vehicle, is correct.

I realize I am beating a dead horse here, but all the spring-over "experts" i ask always give such different, not to mention, arbitrary, answers.

This is all assuming you don't have access to an alignment rack.
gifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 11:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 17146
I've got access to a frame machine, and that's supposed to be level. Thought I'd take it there and try to find a semi-level spot on the diff. Sounds like make it up as you go, huh?
Think I'm going to wait until I redo the center arm, and do the mini truck P/S conversion, so I'm only dealing with one variable at a time.
Thanks all,
Ed
TLCA #14529
Old 03-10-2003, 06:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 17748
Shackle Reversal

Degnol,
I did a shackle reversal on my 1977 TLC and ran into the same problem. I bought a set of front 2.5" Skyjacker springs and 1.5" shackles. The trick to it is to reverse the leaf springs. Turn them around so that rear spring eye is now the front spring eye. (Measure the distance from the eye to the center pin. The shorter distance would be switched to the front.) This will increase your wheelbase a few inches. The pinion will not even be flat at this point. It will be pointed down slightly. I then added a 2 degree steel shim from Avalanche Engineering to level it out and return it to stock dimensions. The lift is around 6". It's not exactly the low buck route but it worked for me.
I hope this helps.
swon
swon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 06:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 11849
Caster

one more thought on caster: the spec for caster on an FJ40 is bewtween O.O and +1.5. This is very little caster. I think the reason they did this was the lack of powersteering. With larger tires, +1 degree is really insufficient. I had 35's on my last daily driver (FJ60). With 4.5" of lift, and stock caster (measured +.75 degrees), the truck didn't handle that great. I went to +4 degree shims, and it was much better. What I found though, was that the one drawback to more positive caster (besides needing more effort to turn the tires... which is only a problem if you don't have powersteering), is that positive caster will accentuate any other problems in your steering system (e.g.: loose TRE, knuckles, etc): i started experiencing "death wobble". I Replaced all the TRE's and rebuilt my knuckles, adjusted the steering box, and had the tow set on a machine. The truck handled better, but still not great. So I went to 6 degree shims. Awe, now that is nice. I could do 75-80mph down the highway, and it handled like a modern car.

that's my story, take from it what you will.
gifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 08:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 17146
Thanks, bud. Sort of play it by feel, eh? I'm going to do everything else, then fritz with the caster.
Thanks again,
Ed Long
TLCA #14529