Newbie FJ45 Question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2003, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 12663
Send a message via AIM to Leafsprung
Newbie FJ45 Question

Ok, Im a Land Rover Junkie, but a cruiser newbie. Im looking for a FJ45. Im looking at a 63 FJ45 wagon in good running order, original drivetrain, only minor rust, needs cosmetics. Whats a decent price range?
-Thanks
-Ike
Old 08-31-2003, 04:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 770
Nice find. Those are getting VERY rare, especially stock and running. Not sure as to the exact number of them registered in the country, but it is not that many.
The fj45 guys on this board should be able to tell you what it worth.

I'd say it worth whatever they want for it to get you as far away from land rovers as possible
Old 08-31-2003, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 16057
It's a POS. Where is it? I'll get rid of it for you.

Is it a pickup (SWB or LWB, removable top or not?) or a troopie (wagon)?

The range is pretty wide, depending on how much "cosmetics" you're talking about. Many of the body parts are no longer available.

A nice one just got bid up to $13,500 on eBay - this is way too much - I would have seriously considered that truck at about $7,000.

If you decide not to buy it, I'm interested! The FJ45 is the single coolest Cruiser.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
LCL

Member # 10348
Send a message via AIM to LCL Send a message via Skype™ to LCL
$6500 is my number, but I don't know much about 45's.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 3942
Other than a handful (and I mean, a few) of them, most FJ45 wagons in the US aren't worth a whole lot, especially in unrestored condition. Even for hard-core Cruiserheads, they're tough projects, the wagons did not share much sheetmetal with other Land Cruiser models of the same vintage, were imported in very small numbers, and many key parts were discontinued by Toyota very early. The best Land Rover example to give you an idea of rarity is a Tickford-bodied Series I station wagon.

The condition of the body and the presence of key trim components make up 90% of the value of an FJ45. The front clip (fenders, aprons, bib, bezel, hood, lights, trim) are common to Land Cruisers of the same vintage. The drivetrain, for the most part, is also easily replaceable with either vintage components or newer stuff. Some of the interior parts are fairly straightforward, too. But the corrugated paneled body, the roof, the glass, a lot of the rubber, the brake light assemblies, rear bumper, rear seat, window cranks and rear emblems are unique to the model and very hard to come by in good condition, with zero availability of aftermarket reproductions or NOS stockpiles.

Rick Donnelly knows more about FJ45 wagons than probably anyone else in the US and he's on this board, he should be able to get you more detailed information and possibly a pretty accurate idea of its value.

Without knowing more details about it, I hesitate to give it a value, but if you give us an idea of where the rust is located, how advanced it is, what shape the roof, interior and trim pieces are in, I can probably give you a ballpark figure.
60seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 07:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 12663
Details

Cmon, cant be as bad as the tickford, they only made 600 tickfords (there are none in the states either) they made a BUNCH of FJ45s (theres a bunch just on this board), and the pressed steel body has to be easier to repair than handformed aluminum over a wood frame . . . At least I hope so!

Anyway, heres what I have been told about the wagon. Its a Southern CA rig which has only superficial surface rust except for a small 2 inch hole in the bottom of the footwell for the rear seat and the captive nut plate in the liftgate has rusted. Body appears straight from the one photo Ive seen, Im supposed to be getting more in the next day or so. One piece of glass has been replaced with plexi. According to the owner its driven several times a week, everything is functional (wipers, heater etc) and the drivetrain is in good working condition. Currently resplendent in brushed on housepaint.

-Regards
-Ike
Old 09-01-2003, 07:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 3942
Bunch of FJ45 wagons? No, man, they were made in very small numbers from like '63 to '67 and the numbers imported into the US were tiny. Search the archives, Rick D's posted estimates based on his research and the numbers are surprisingly low. I even doubt there are 3 dozen registered FJ45s driven regularly in the US and Canada, and they're virtually non-existent everywhere else. No no, maybe using Tickfords was an exageration, but I wanted you to get an idea that FJ45 wagons are extremely rare and that unless the truck itself is in really solid shape or the working budget is high, these are tough trucks to bring back.

In your case, it sounds like the truck is already in regular use and from the rust description, it sounds very solid. I'll wait for the local (to this board) FJ45 wagon gurus read this and give you an estimate, but you're probably looking at the $2,000-$4,500 range, probably smack in the middle.
60seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 11:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 6816
the "new" wagon project i just bought cost me $3500 without an engine but it is completely stock and ultra clean. original paint, nor rust or dents. and i do consider that a decent deal, cause in this condition they are impossible to find.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 7180
I paid $4000 for mine from Rick D and it came with a lot of parts. I still need a lot of parts to make it a runner but it has very little if any rust from the best of my memories. I haven't seen it in two years. I will be bringing it home in October and then I will have an idea of how big this project will be. I plan on several years of work before it is done. I have grand plans and a limited bank account. The truck is completea nd i felt that I got a good deal on it, my wife on the other hand thinks I got screwed...but for the parts alone I don't think I could have found a better deal. Original tail ligthts and new re man front window weather stripping:-) man just thinking about it makes me so happy..

Tim
[COLOR="Red"]For parts and Carb rebuilds
[url]http://www.marksoffroad.net[/url] [/COLOR]
calfj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 09:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 273
Our Family has 3 & 1/2 FJ 45 wagons the first one I bought I paid $400.00 and it was all there but has rust. The scond one we paid 10 cents and is one of the best ones I have seen that hasn't been restore. I picked one up the other day for a trade for a Land Cruiser front axle. This one is pretty bad but has some parts that I need. The half one someone cut it behind the front doors and then cut the back half off and welded it to the front part. has some good parts to fix up the other ones. Good luck
they can be alot of fun and also a pain in the neck.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 12663
Value

Hell, I'll give you 20 cents for the good one.
-Regards
-Ike
Old 09-02-2003, 07:49 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 6816
hey ike. had to take the day off work to take care of some stuff. e-mail me your # and i'll call you tomorrow with some more info on the other wagon. georg