Rear Lockers - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2003, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 22408
Rear Lockers

Hi,
i just read the test on the Aussie Locker and was wondering if anyone has experience with them in an FJ40. In particular if they were comparable to a lok rite. I have no desire to rest gear lash etc., and the intro price of $199 looks awful interesting. What would you all think of one in the front?
Kent
Rat70FJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2003, 02:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 8568
I made the mistake of putting a lockright in the front of a my cruiser a few years ago and was a birfield breaker, I broke 2 birfs in one shot! Went ARB and liked that much better. The aussie is going to be very simmilar to the lockright. I would not waste my time/money. Just my 02
TLCA# 5305
RustyNailJustin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2003, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 19383
Front Locker

Interesting that in Australia 80% of all locker installations are in the front and that ratio is about 30% in the USA.

There are a fair number of Aussie Lockers in fronts of FJ40's with excellent results.

The Aussie Locker is not a Lock Right, as the recent Pirate4x4 product review indicates.
aussielocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2003, 06:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 22408
So, I'm a little confused. The primary question was to their performance in the rear compare to a lockright (now I'm spelling it right!). The secondary question was to their performance in the front. Why would the Aussie (or lockrite) cause Birfield breakage when the ARB wouldn't? Is it because you can turn the latter off when in problem situations?

KK
Old 09-21-2003, 06:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1858
Quote:
Originally posted by Rat70FJ
[B...Why would the Aussie (or lockrite) cause Birfield breakage when the ARB wouldn't? Is it because you can turn the latter off when in problem situations?...[/B]
Static loading and unloading, unlike the ARB... Lockrights "can" engage and dissengage in a very static (hard) way. I to this day think that Lockrights break more parts..... caveat... They are budget priced and work great for the money. When I was a young cruiserhead ... I wish I would have tossed a lockright style locker in my FJ40... I was always told "do nothing but an ARB".... Still to this day I love my ARB's... and never get complaints from customers either... they just work, plain and simple.. no broken diff pins, not chirping on the road... no adverse effects in snow... just on-off...
U4WDA - Member
TLCA #10662
Wasatch Cruisers #028
Mountain Yoats
Red Rock 4 Wheelers #789
Mojave Underground
kurt@cruiseroutfitters.com
cruiseroutfit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2003, 10:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 22408
So do the aussies perform similarly to the lockrites? They look like a similar design. Is there no such thing as a free lunch?!

Kent
Old 09-21-2003, 10:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1858
Quote:
Originally posted by Rat70FJ
So do the aussies perform similarly to the lockrites? They look like a similar design. Is there no such thing as a free lunch?!

Kent
Having not ever driven a vehicle with it installed, I would assume yes... but probably more like a Lockright No-Slip... softer, quietet engae/disengage. Get one and give us a cruiser review
U4WDA - Member
TLCA #10662
Wasatch Cruisers #028
Mountain Yoats
Red Rock 4 Wheelers #789
Mojave Underground
kurt@cruiseroutfitters.com
cruiseroutfit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2003, 11:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 8568
Re: Front Locker

Quote:
Originally posted by aussielocker
Interesting that in Australia 80% of all locker installations are in the front and that ratio is about 30% in the USA.

There are a fair number of Aussie Lockers in fronts of FJ40's with excellent results.

The Aussie Locker is not a Lock Right, as the recent Pirate4x4 product review indicates.

Say what you will but the fact of the matter is with your locker,lockright,detroit any positive locking differential there is constant stress on the axles, its always engaged no matter if you need it or not. With a locker you can select on or off you limit the amount of stress to when you are using it. Being able to turn off the front locker is a huge benifit when backing up as well. The aussie may have better road mannors but its still the same concept as any positive locking diff.
TLCA# 5305
RustyNailJustin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.