another trans Q - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2003, 12:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 18408
Send a message via AIM to mavric Send a message via Yahoo to mavric
another trans Q

Ok last one I promise so i got everything back together today, and the trans/xfer are together with oil and everything in them, semi installed etc etc etc. I just want to check and make sure that things are the way there supposed to be. When i shift the trans into either 1st or reverse, there is a clear, "clunk" type noise when it goes all the way in, all other gears dont. Does this have to do with them not being syncro'd and is it normal, or does this sound bad i should pull everything apart agian?

If at first you dont succeed, then you should try skydiving
mavric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 06:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 13912
Looking at your sig line I see sm420 and lockrites...Pretty normal for a little clunk. I usually slide mine into the second gear synchro before attempting first or reverse...
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2003, 09:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 17477
The part about first and reverse not being synchro'd would cause a slight "gear grind" when shifting into those gears. As if you were going forward just barely, and tried to put it into reverse.
On a later model vehicle, the grind is the synchros and gears aligning themselves under pressure that you apply at the shifter lever. That is all normal.

The clunk does not sound normal from your description. Are you sure the input gear is completely releasing with clutch disengagement? Kind of sounds like you still have a good bit of internal momentum amongst the gear cluster, then you finally get it into gear with a great deal of force on the shifter, thus a clunk.

Now from another approach, are first and reverse, the only gears it will go into?
And what does the shifter feel like when it is being shifted into the gears? I am gonna go and shift this 420 I have out in the garage. Since it has the PTO cover off, maybe I can see something internally.
If you run into more problems Mav, give me a call.
801-489-1393.

Rich
Kruzrtek
kruzrtk@xmission.com
kruzrtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 18408
Send a message via AIM to mavric Send a message via Yahoo to mavric
I dunno if i was clear about this....i havent even run the tranny yet, im just talking about if its sitting on the ground and you shift it.....

If at first you dont succeed, then you should try skydiving
mavric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 16737
my old 420 did the same thing, ran fine. they do make a slight clunking sound. it will lessen quite a bit with the motor noise but will still be there. you will love that low 1st, enjoy!