SHIMS - Installation Questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2003, 06:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 22184
SHIMS - Installation Questions

I have a '79 FJ40 and need some help in clarifying shim installation instructions.

First off, let me say that I have Man-a-fre's steering correction / shackle reversal kit which comes with (2) shims - which appear to be 2 degree. Man-a-fre's directions say "Reinstall the leaf springs with the supplied caster shims, THICK SIDE TO THE REAR.

The Shackle Reversal Kit adds 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" lift. I purchased 2 1/2" front springs and 4" Rear springs in kit form from TPI (Smoky Mountain) in order to get an overall 4" of lift. I also ordered a pair of 6 degree shims as recommended for 4" lift kits.

The confusion comes in that the directions from Spector and others as well as this board say to install these caster shims with the THICK SIDE TOWARD THE FRONT!!

PLEASE HELP! I know up to 5 degrees caster is acceptable or even desirable with 4" of lift, and I know that caster is determined by the angle created by drawing a line through the knuckle bearings as compared with vertical. Also, I understand that the 5 degree caster is viewed from the side and is created by rotating the axle housing so the upper knuckle bearing is now rearward of the lower bearing.

The need for shims is supposedly created because of the axle housing rotation which comes from lowering the front leaf spring attachment by using a longer shackle which creates negative caster. Adding a shim with the THICK SIDE FORWARD then rotates the axle housing rearward and brings the caster back toward positive.

Does anyone have experience with the Man-a-fre kit and 4" lift? Do I use the shims as Man-a-fre instructs with THICK EDGE TO THE REAR, or should I use the 6 degree shims with THICK EDGE FORWARD? Would greatly appreciate any help and / or advise. Thanks very much.

Jim Dahlquist
Georgia Cruisers 4WD Club
Jim Dahlquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 06:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2029
the easiest and probly most accurate way to do this is to check the angle of your axle at the pinion flange, regardless what the actual caster is. if you want a couple degrees more or less caster just change it based on the pinion angle you will measure first from stock.
of course this is all assuming your caster is good and the rig drives fine now.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2003, 06:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 22259
You need to install the shims with the thick part facing the transfer case on both axels. The reason for this is to rotate the third members up toward the tcase, to reduce the drive line angle.
If you put them in with the thick part facing away from the tcase, it will rotate the third member down toward the ground, and your drive shaft will bind.
1966 M416

-Mike
65-fj45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 4783
Whether you need a shim, which way it goes in and how many degrees depends on what your caster angle is now. Take it in to your local alignment guy and ask him to measure it. If it needs to be more positive, put the thick end to the front.

With stock drive shafts, the pinion flanges need to be parallel within about a degree or it the shaft might vibrate. You only point the pinon at the T'case if you have a CV joint at the T'case end.
Pin Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 08:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 12758
I'd go out and buy an angle finder, they are about $10 at most hardward stores and see what your axle angle is before you started (if possible, otherwise ask one of us to measure for you) then do it after. That is the best way to check and be correct...

But, I think MAF is probably right with the idea of the spring kit rotating your axle one way, and the 2 degree shims doing the opposite to restore your caster to a decent position. Afterall, the kit is not designed by MAF but instead by someone who probably cares about the customer

If you do the math, if you reverse the 2 degree shims (and put the fat end forward) you'll be correct as per TPI's recommendation and the LC Advance handling, you'll be taking the advice of both of them

I'd try that and if it vibrates then start messing around with other shims
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 08:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 16085
Re: SHIMS - Installation Questions

Jim, I'm running on my fj45, MAF SR, 2.5 OME springs(rears are more like 4")

I tossed the aluminum shims that came with the MAF SR and got some steel ones. I installed them thick side to the rear, it drives great and no t-case problems or binding/vibrations ect

John H

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Dahlquist
I have a '79 FJ40 and need some help in clarifying shim installation instructions.

First off, let me say that I have Man-a-fre's steering correction / shackle reversal kit which comes with (2) shims - which appear to be 2 degree. Man-a-fre's directions say "Reinstall the leaf springs with the supplied caster shims, THICK SIDE TO THE REAR.

The Shackle Reversal Kit adds 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" lift. I purchased 2 1/2" front springs and 4" Rear springs in kit form from TPI (Smoky Mountain) in order to get an overall 4" of lift. I also ordered a pair of 6 degree shims as recommended for 4" lift kits.

The confusion comes in that the directions from Spector and others as well as this board say to install these caster shims with the THICK SIDE TOWARD THE FRONT!!

PLEASE HELP! I know up to 5 degrees caster is acceptable or even desirable with 4" of lift, and I know that caster is determined by the angle created by drawing a line through the knuckle bearings as compared with vertical. Also, I understand that the 5 degree caster is viewed from the side and is created by rotating the axle housing so the upper knuckle bearing is now rearward of the lower bearing.

The need for shims is supposedly created because of the axle housing rotation which comes from lowering the front leaf spring attachment by using a longer shackle which creates negative caster. Adding a shim with the THICK SIDE FORWARD then rotates the axle housing rearward and brings the caster back toward positive.

Does anyone have experience with the Man-a-fre kit and 4" lift? Do I use the shims as Man-a-fre instructs with THICK EDGE TO THE REAR, or should I use the 6 degree shims with THICK EDGE FORWARD? Would greatly appreciate any help and / or advise. Thanks very much.

Jim Dahlquist
Georgia Cruisers 4WD Club
Old 11-02-2003, 01:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 9851
The purpose of degree shims is to adjust pinion angle to within 2 degrees of transfercase angle, the only time you want your pinion pointing at your transfer case is if you use a CV joint on the T-case.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 114
I found that when the pinion is at a 90 degree angle to the ground, the caster is at the stock 1 degree setting from the factory. So if you have all you conversion and lift stuff on, put the angle finder on the pinion then add the shim in what ever direction the pinion needs to rotate to get closer to the stock setting.