97 FZJ80, width or height for rock ledges - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2001, 05:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 4139
Post 97 FZJ80, width or height for rock ledges

I realize that tire questions are quite tiresome to everyone, but I'm looking for a fresh opinion.....

THIS IS NOT A FIT QUESTION.

Anyway, the question is: Specifically for climbing over rock ledges, am I better off with a 33x13 tire or a 35.5x9.5 tire? The tires I'm looking at are the Super Swamper TSL bias plies. I'll be going with internal beadlocks from tireloc.com and am trying to figure out if aired down, would I get better grip from the wider tires or would the height with the 9.5's be better? I'm also concerned about the weight of the truck. I'll be running either tire on 8" rims.

A perspective from someone that spends a lot of time on rock would be greatly appreciated which is why I'm posting to this board and not my typical wheeling email list.

Thanks
climbermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2001, 06:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Moderating Midget

Member # 1154
Send a message via AIM to wngrog
OK,

I have used my FZJ-80 on a lot of rock and I wheel with a lot of people that use '80's so I feel like I am qualified to help you here

OK, a couple of questions,

What is your suspension setup?

Are these tires going to be your only tires or are they trail only tires?
www.cottonlandcruisers.com
www.rockmidgetphotography.com

USAF Veteran 1988-1998 GOD Bless America
wngrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2001, 07:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 4139
Thanks Nolen

Thanks Nolen.... was hoping you'd read my post.

These will be trail only tires, and if I'm wheeling less than 2 hrs from home, would use them for the trip. Otherwise I'd drive there on my street tires (LTX - stock for now, will go BFG AT 285's once I get my 4.56 gears from Christo).

Suspension is standard OME, but over the next few weeks will be installing the J springs front and rear (also from Christo 850J and 863J) - no spacers unless after installed I test the droop and possible rubbing. I've lowered my rear bumpstops by 3" and will be doing something similar with the fronts. (The fender flares will be staying on). If I can find the right mounts on Rancho 9000's I'll be using 1-2" longer shocks, otherwise will get the new OME longer ones. I know I need to extend the brake lines, watch for caster correction and possibly replace the front control arms and panhards....

The main reason I'm lifting further is to fit the Q78-16 SS TSL tire. Otherwise I'd keep it as low as possible - I hate that offcamber stuff (have the heavy ARB roofrack which makes the truck very topheavy).

Thanks
Mike
Old 12-26-2001, 09:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Moderating Midget

Member # 1154
I really don't think you need to replace the control arms. I had a set of Outback arms and even though they are bad ass, the stock arms are even stronger.

I ran my OME Heavies with 1" spacers without any caster correction at all and could not tell the difference.

If you run OME caster bushings, you can go with 1.5" spacers and your caster will still be in the + figures.

I would only buy the arms with 2" spacers or more.

As for tires, I ran 305/70/16's on my Cruiser with OME heavies and 1.5" spacers and had NO RUBBING at all!!

None.

In fact these 35" tire barely rubbed without the spacers!!

I would suggest at LEAST 12.50 tires when you buy your trail meats.

We have a guy in our club that runs 35 x 12.50's on his FZJ and really has good performance.

He has OME mediums and 1.5" spacers and OME caster correction.

I used to run 15" wheels on my FZJ-80 when I had 33's. I know people said it could not be done, but I just had to do a little bit of grinding on the caliper.

You could only do this with steel wheels since they are so thin. Aluminum 15" wheels won't work due to the thickness of the wheel material.

Back to tires. All Interco of course, anything else is an All terrain

If you want 16" tires I would Highly recommend the 36 x 12.50R-16 TSL Radial (Not to be confused with the SSR), it is a 10 ply tire. It is the origional Swamper radial, deep tread and better sidewalls than the SSR.

Non radial 16" tires I would go with the 13/36-16 TSL's, 8 ply Origional TSL's. Bad ass no frills tire.

If you want extra wheels and 15" tires, my #1 choice is always the SX, 36 x 12.50 x 15 would rock with your setup.

All of these tires would still tuck into your fenders under full compression if you mount themon 15 x 8 wheels.

Good Luck and post pics!!

My Cruiser with 35's...

Old 12-26-2001, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 554
Nolen -

Isn't the 305/70/R16 approx equal to a 33" tire? I am just wanting to ensure I don't try to get too big a tire when I order for myself. I have been thinking OME heavys w/1" spacer and radial swampers or MT/R's in 35*12.50

What do ya think?
'97 FJ80 - 40th Anniv Edition #4564
FJ4ZROX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2001, 12:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Moderating Midget

Member # 1154
CORRECTION*****

Thanks for pointing that out, mine were 315/70/16 Geolander MT's.

Sorry for the confusion.

305's in a Goodyear MT are 33", 285's in an MT/R are 33".

Sometimes you just have to see..but I know the 315's in the Geolander were 35's.

Old 01-06-2002, 06:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 4139
Smile Thanks Nolen

Thanks Nolen. Just thought I'd let you know I ordered the 13x36 TSL bias plies.

I have the 1" longer springs and as soon as I can figure out the right Rancho 9000 shock will order that also. If the tires don't fit, then I'll first try stacking 2 10mm OME spacers and if still doesn't work, then I'll order the 1-1/2" spacers from Christo.

I compared the 13x36 TSLs to the 35x12.5 SSR's that some run with reg ome springs and 1-1/2" spacers and there is very little difference. So I think I'll be ok.

Specifications:

Tread width Outside diamter section width
35x12.5 SSR 10.6 35.3 12.6
36x13 TSL 10.4 35.9 12.7

I already plan on lowering the rear bumpstops by 3" an whatever the front needs.

Will keep you posted on how I make out.

Mike
Old 01-07-2002, 11:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 6754
I'll chime in since I'm using my FZJ80 on the rocks more and more. I think you'll be fine with the 36's that you've ordered, but personally I think you'll need more of a spacer than just stacking a couple of OME spacers. I have OME springs with Outback 1.5" spacers AND the OME spacers in front and just the OUtback spacers in back. I am using Outback control arms and panhards and RS9000 shocks. I'll see if I can get the number off the shocks for you. They were on the truck when I bought it, so I don't recall what the number was. I am running the 315 Goodyear MTR and on the truck, they measure 34.5" from the ground to the top of the tire. I've flexed my truck up pretty well and the tires don't rub at all with my current setup, but it's pretty close. That's why I say you might need a bit more spacer than what you're thinking. But, maybe I'm wrong since I don't know how much difference the J springs will make. Try the OME spacers and see where you're at, but I think you'll be happier with a little more spacer.
Old 01-07-2002, 11:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 6754
Here's a few shots of the truck in case your curious.

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/pictures/...dam_tolman.htm