Temp and Ammeter dead - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2004, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 20103
Angry Temp and Ammeter dead

I've searched the archives for the last 2 hrs., but still these two questions remain:
1) My ammeter is dead. I'm running a GM 350 tpi, one wire. I've tried two different gauges. Is there a way I can test the gauge with a multimeter before I start chasing wires?

2) same problem with tem gauge. I replaced the sender, no change.

On a scale of 1-10, my electrical savvy is about a 2.5.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4329
Did it work before and just quit working, or has it ever worked?
To start I would take a volt meter to the batery while the Cruiser is running to see if the alternator is charging thru the amp meter.
ROCK HUGGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2004, 07:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 20103
Yes, it was working before I had the engine swapped. 305 to a 350. I checked the voltage at the battery and it was 14.7. So I'm getting a charge from somewhere. I read that on later models the ammeters didn't carry the full load from the alternator, but something like 5 amps? Mine is a 78 fj40.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 2567
On my 79 FJ40, I used to have the same problem all of the time. If I wiggled the fuse block the would come back. I took it all apart and cleaned it and that fixed it. If I recall correctly, on the 79 and newer you can't replace the fuse block but on 78 and older you can. Several of my 40's had electrical issues go away when I replaced the fuse block. Simple job if you have the replaceable one. Basically it's a bad connection, if you wiggle the fuse block it makes the connection through the corrosion that has created resistance.

Get a little stainless steel wire brush from the welding shop and clean up all of the terminals with that. You can also use an exacto knife to scrape off the corrosion.

Lastly, many 40's have dead ammeters, There is a fuse in the harness wrapped up in tape. That has fixed a few for me. If it was just the ammeter acting up I'd go look for that fuse in your schematic.

When you order the fuse for the ammeter, order the mini light bulb that goes in the head light switch - a lot of Cruiser owners don't even know that it's supposed to light up as most have long since burned out.

Hope this helps

-Stumbaugh
64 FJ45 LWB TLCA #3531
Bundok is offline   Reply With Quote