driveline vibration - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2004, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 14034
driveline vibration

48 hours before I leave for Katemcy and I can't figure out my driveline vibration, which started 10 days ago. Vibration can be felt from about 30MPH up, much worse the faster I go. Put the transmission in neutral and the shake stays. Whole truck vibration, more from the rear, not in the steering wheel. Started all of the sudden. It has been a year since I lifted the truck (only 2.5") so shouldn't be driveline angle.

2 new u joints, runnout and balance tested the drive shaft (at the driveline shop, all of them are stumped). Yokes are aligned together. Tried 3 sets of tires and different wheels all newly balanced, no change. Pinion bearing and companion flange (T/C end) are both tight.

When I removed the driveshaft the first time I marked the orientation of the drive shafts to the ujoints themselves, but not the orientation of the drive shaft to the companion flange and differential ends. Thinking this might be the problem, I tried rotating the driveshaft 1/4 turn on the diff end and driving, no luck. Tried all 4 orientations on that end, no luck. Tried 2 orientations on the companion flange end, no luck. Should this affect the truck enough to vibrate the whole thing? Couldn't find anything in the archives about aligning the flanges to the driveshaft ends.

The driveshaft shop wants to balance the driveshaft on the truck "like we do on suburban's" (his words). I am going to let them try it, unless you guys have any ideas.

89 FJ62

Thanks,
Greg
euclid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 12:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 1159
I had a slightly bent output shaft on my t-case once. Made for a strange vibration.

Just curious, have you lost any weights off of the rear tires recently?

How about slop in the pinion bearing or rear t-case output bearing or slop in the rear end (i.e. worn spiders etc).

Just throwing out ideas here for ya. Good luck and let us know what it turns out to be.

Edit: Almost forgot...are the pinion and t-case outputs parallel? Some sagging of the leaf springs could throw off your pinion angle slightly.

Last edited by Tankota; 03-15-2004 at 12:53 PM.
Tankota is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2004, 01:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 15396
Send a message via AIM to smtyblt
Check your mounting surfaces IE.

mortor mounts

trans crossmember mount that is my guess if it happened all of a sudden it might not look broken but it could be jack up onthe transfer case and see

next double check all springs plates make sure they have not backed off

nest check shocks

if it is not the tires not the driveshafts and none of the above then I do not know
smtyblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 05:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 5999
Hey Greg,

Are your driveshafts in phase? The slip yoke is supposed to be in the shaft a certain way. I am not familar which, but someone here should know.

HTH,
Old 03-15-2004, 05:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 24859
did you get a locker recently? mine would shake above 45 with lockright , and now have ARB . The ARB does not always disengage properly and when it is locked I get vibration above 45 again. I stop and reverse a little , it unlocks , and no more vibration.
peesalot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 05:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 4783
Happened all of a sudden w/o any off road damage to the shaft?

If so, then check the preload at the pinion bearing and transfer case output. I know you said they are tight, but maybe you just meant the nut. The nut being tight doesn't necessarily mean the bearing is good. Check for sideways and in and out play in the flanges. Anything other than rotational play is not good.

It might have thrown a balance wieght, but this should be obvious.
Pin Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 08:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 14034
In phase, no locker, No sideways or in and out play in the flanges, motor mounts good.

A little more info. Pulled the back cover off of the transfer case, the rear output shaft bearing is a little worn, but not that bad. Checked the preload there and at the pinon bearing, both ok. Still have a vibration. The driveshaft wobbles enough when the truck is on jackstands that it is visible.

We swaped in a driveshaft from another 62. This one has noticeably worn u-joints. The truck now vibrates in the same way as it did before the new ujoints on my driveshaft which is much less.

Here is my theory. Something in the transfer case if f'd up and is creating the vibration. The new tight ujoints transfer the vibration to the driveline much more noticibly than the old worn out slopey ujoints. Opinions? What is wierd is that the transfer output shaft seems to be tight when I jiggle it with the driveshaft off.

Going back to the driveshaft shop tomorrow first thing. If that doesn't work I am thinking of calling CCOT to see if they have a transfer case they can swap in on Wed on my way to Katemcy.

Sorry for the cross post, working overtime for resolution.

Greg (end of the rope, wanting soooooo bad to go to my first wheeling event in my own damn truck rather than riding shotgun)
euclid42 is offline   Reply With Quote