someone on this list has email virus - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2004, 02:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 25622
someone on this list has email virus

Best I can tell, someone on this list, or some other LandCruiser forum has a virus which propigates itself over the internet through email. About twice a day for the last many months I have been getting spammed with a ton of virus emails. It was finally today that I realized its got to be someone in the LandCruiser community when I got one sent with John Pardi's email address. The others were also LandCruiser people too (I did a google search on the email address). I dont know the exact term for this kind of virus, but its the kind that propigates itself out by taking names in your email address book and emails out to others with those spoofed email addresses as the 'From'/ sender email address.

People- PLEASE run a virus scan on your computer systems regularly. Its irritating for others (atleast me) to get this crap in my inbox all the time because someone is too lazy to install a free virus checker and use it. You can go to downloads.com and find all kinds of good virus checking applications that are free.

Some good apps to have on your computer:
Norton Anti Virus (set up to check your incoming emails as well as run every day on your entire system)
Ad-aware 6.0
Spybot - Search & Destroy
Active Ports (allows you to see what processes are running on different ports- including maliciously installed tracking software or virus)

My email server strips the viruses out of emails, and I have a ton of other software on my machine to detect stuff being installed without me knowing it. I know my system is clean.

Dustin
Old 09-23-2004, 03:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 260
Send a message via Yahoo to woody
it's near impossible to pull the emails from this forum, and emails are hidden totally on mine....so, it's someone you've personally corresponded with.

I get 'em too, about 50 a day....
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2004, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 263
Could be a mailing list you are part of.

Phil
Old 09-23-2004, 04:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 25622
I dont mean its coming from this site- pirate4x4.com, but rather someone which I at one time had correspondend with via email, or someone who corresponded with someone I corresponded with - who is either on this list or the LCML most likely. They seem like they are all LandCruiser people when I find them via searches on google.