What gas tank for my FJ40 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2004, 09:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 29
What gas tank for my FJ40

What gas tank should I use for my FJ40? I don't want to use the stock one, and I am not sure I can fit and aftermarket one under the rear beacuse I am moving the rear axle back. Should I get a custom one made that will fit in the bed of the cruiser, or should I throw a small body lift on the truck and make it fit in between the frame rails? Also, how do I make a filler tube for the rear if the tank is udner the rig?

Thanks
Dima
Old 10-20-2004, 09:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 1176
http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_acces...anklr28gal.htm
Old 10-20-2004, 09:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 16737
Berg, Dima is a cheap ass math teacher and cant afford that those are sweet though.

Dima, my 22 aux con-ferr tank fit with my 14bolt moved back about 3-4 inches. You may need to run some bumpstops for the top of the diff.
We just ran one of those Jaz plastic cells in the back of Craigs 40 and it works good. Or does it have to go underneath????
Filler necks are easy to make, you can get some from any fullsise truck that have a flange built in and cut/weld to fit. Some big fuel line from the parts store couple hose clamps and your done.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 29
Yea, I am a cheap person.

As for the plastic tank. How is the smell in the cab with the top on. I can't ahve any smell in the cab. I would love to do that. I can get a Triangle one built for a good price as well.

Dima
Old 10-20-2004, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatty
What gas tank should I use for my FJ40? I don't want to use the stock one, and I am not sure I can fit and aftermarket one under the rear beacuse I am moving the rear axle back. Should I get a custom one made that will fit in the bed of the cruiser, or should I throw a small body lift on the truck and make it fit in between the frame rails? Also, how do I make a filler tube for the rear if the tank is udner the rig?

Thanks
Dima
What is wrong with the stock one? I wouldn't put a gas tank in the rear (under tub) if you plan on wheeling this thing. Also, don't want to give up space in the bed of the 40.

Trail Gear's Bad Ethics=Bad Business.
fj40charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 12:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 29
I plan on using a seat out of a YJ for the back of this. Iam considering enclosing the rear of the tub with some sheet. Pitting the tailights in there, and installing a rear seat from a YJ in the back. I plan on leaving a little room and having a custom tank built for the very back of the cruiser. I can make an upright 15-20 gallon tank back there out of AL. Build a enclosure around it, and call it a day. I can vent it outside so that I don't have fume issues, and still ahve a back seat for other purposes. I should notlose too much space in the cruiser fer gear. I can also make a small box that fits under the front seats.

Why don't I like the stock tank? I am not really sure. I just never liked them. Ever since I built my first cruiser I have had problems with them, so now i don't want to use them.

Dima
Old 10-20-2004, 01:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 39
I have the stock tank inside and I don't have any fume issues.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 29
I am not going to use a stock tank.

Who can build a tank from scratch? I want one built out of AL. If I get it all made up, can someone weld it up for me?

Dima
Old 10-21-2004, 06:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Moderhater

Member # 16980
i was thinking about attempting to make the man-a-fre tank out of 16 guage steel....im working up the nerv at the moment
Halogrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 10:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 29
Actually, I found a few guys here that can weld me up one if I give them the plans.

Dima
Old 10-22-2004, 04:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 770
FUnny that this post is up here.
Just getting ready to go wheeling tomorrow, changing oil and the like, go into town, put in $26 bucks of fuel, get home, and realise it is dripping out from somewhere under the tank.

Tank was professionally sealed 5 or 6 years ago, but no dice. Must have a leak in the bottom somewhere.
Fillers, breathers, sender-all dry. Plug is tight. Pretty bad leak from somewhere else.

No power to the shop yet, so tomorrow is out.

Any thoughts on the CCOT plastic ones? Most people have had no luck with those things, right?

Price is right if they work.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 14712
I run the plastic tank....no fumes at all and no risk of damage. I would never consider putting it anywhere else.
Killerpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 04:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 770
They seem to have solved the issues (or at least some of them) as they are offering neck hookups for several different years.

Including older ones like my 67.

http://store.yahoo.com/coolfj40/gastanfj19th.html
Old 10-22-2004, 04:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 770
actually, re reading the site-it gives INSTRUCTIONS on how to fit for an older truck. Bummer.
Doesn't seem that hard, though.

Can I still get a stell tank for an older cruiser from toyota?

Does it cost $650 bucks like the cool one from man a fre that used to be $400?!?!?!
Old 10-22-2004, 08:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 34756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerpee
I run the plastic tank....no fumes at all and no risk of damage. I would never consider putting it anywhere else.
On a thread a couple months ago, several posters spoke of the MTS Co. poly tank's top flexing down as fuel is consumed (suction), which skewed the sender readings and stressed the poly. Any such problems with yours?

Everybody: Does only MTS Co. make the poly tank for 73-78 FJ40/45s? CCOT, TLC, etc. just sell the MTS poly tank, right?

P.S. Nice to see a picture of the CCOT calender brunette without the constipation problem.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:58 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 9598
i put in the ccot poly tank about a year ago... the filler neck is too small for the origonal tubing, and i couldnt find an adequate replacement. i use the origonal tubing with a couple heavy duty hose clamps. adequate? i don't know. i always have afuel smell... this after ALL new hoses and ALL new clamps, and sealer on EVERY hose. i'm kinda irritated about it.. but no leaks at least..and no crap on the bottom of the tank. how about a replacement with OEM metal?