Starting Problems - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2004, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 31251
Send a message via Yahoo to 1962fj40
Starting Problems

Hey everyone,

Over the past few weeks I haven't been able to start my rig. The PO had some guy do some major work on the engine and ended up putting in a Crane cams XR700 which worked for fine. I have since installed a Aisin carb from Mark's Offroad, A new XR700. Seems to get fuel ok and a spark. Occasionally I can get it to start, but with very little power and it dies shortly afterwards. And that's holding it at near full throttle. I have a 1962 FJ40 that has a 3 speed xfer case (manual shifter, nit vacuum), sm420. Is there something that I'm missing? Mark ahs given me some insight on some areas and hoping for a little input and other things that might be causing this or tests that I could do?

Rob
1962fj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 12:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 5257
Check your wiring on your fuel cut off solenoid.
79 FJ40 & 78 FJ55 TLCA #9074 CLCC
John Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2004, 12:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 16085
if its a 63 carb is will not have one, think it showed up around 67-ish on the large window carbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
Check your wiring on your fuel cut off solenoid.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 11288
Rob-

Have you had the motor running since the cam and other engine work was done? In other words, was it running fine before you switched the carb? Just trying to get a baseline here.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 31251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser Nerd
Rob-

Have you had the motor running since the cam and other engine work was done? In other words, was it running fine before you switched the carb? Just trying to get a baseline here.
Yes. it was running fine for quite awhile even with the Cranes Cam Ignition. PO had the engine rebuilt. I have since replaced the igntion and carb, it still acts the same. there was mention of a possible vacuum (blow-by) problem, but I'm not sure if that's it because it ran with the old carb on with no problem. I do have a vent tube on the valve cover so I think that should prevent blow by.

Robert
Old 12-07-2004, 05:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 11288
Mark had you check that you've got fuel at the right level in the bowl and you get a squirt from the accelerator pump when you work the throttle right?

If you give it a dash of gas down the throat (or pump it several times) and it starts with no popping or strange noises, runs for a few seconds then just dies out, I'd start looking for a massive vacuum leak or suspect a plugged main circuit in the carb.

You probably don't want to hear this, but..... if it ran fine with the old carb, it may be easier to just stick the old one back on to see if the carb is the problem.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 31251
Quote:
Mark had you check that you've got fuel at the right level in the bowl and you get a squirt from the accelerator pump when you work the throttle right?

If you give it a dash of gas down the throat (or pump it several times) and it starts with no popping or strange noises, runs for a few seconds then just dies out, I'd start looking for a massive vacuum leak or suspect a plugged main circuit in the carb.

You probably don't want to hear this, but..... if it ran fine with the old carb, it may be easier to just stick the old one back on to see if the carb is the problem.
Yea, I have looked at all that, more than once. I have even went through the carb, piece by piece in case something else was causing an obstruction. So far everything related to the carb looks good, I'm getting good fuel in the bowl and a good stream when I throttle up.

Mark and I spoke briefly and he mentioned two things. #1 was that he wasn't in favor of the Crane Cams ignition, from what I gathered it has a short dwell angle 32 degrees. #2 he mentioned another guy that had the same setup and he fixed his by adding a pcv system.

Seeing those, I think that I could easily test the pcv theory by removing my oil filler cap, that surely would give plenty of air flow.

On the ignition issue, I guess I can always throw points back on. Btw,

Now that I have rambled on, what's next?

Robert
Old 12-07-2004, 07:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 11288
Don't know, I thought you had ruled out the ignition when you said it ran with the old carb. Have you had it running with the new ignition?
Old 12-08-2004, 05:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 31251
Quote:
Don't know, I thought you had ruled out the ignition when you said it ran with the old carb. Have you had it running with the new ignition?
For the most part I have, but since I spoke with Mark, he mentioned that the dwell angle on the Crane Cams is about 32 degrees. Most LC are at a min 38 so it ay be possible that with that angle it may not be getting a hot enouigh spark. I don't know that for sure, it was just an idea throwm at me.

Rob
Old 12-08-2004, 08:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Desert Rat

Member # 27432
Actually Rob, I don't remember saying 32. It's more like 25, which is what is typical for a V-8 application. The initial installation of any aftermarket ignition also has a significant impact on timing as well. With the Crane's 'universal' [we tried to fit everything with one product, so we fit NOTHING WELL]mounts, it would be hard to say where your timing ended up.

Originally Posted by lc tpi
...if I have to buy them from Trail Gear I guess I dont need them.

65SWB45, 64LWB45, 68FJ40, 72VJ40, 76K5, 73Sub454, 97Sub5.7, 2002 Trailblazer

tlca #1086
member: Trail Crew-L.A. TLCA, Elwood Chapter, TLCA
65SWB45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 01:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 11288
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65SWB45
Actually Rob, I don't remember saying 32. It's more like 25, which is what is typical for a V-8 application. The initial installation of any aftermarket ignition also has a significant impact on timing as well. With the Crane's 'universal' [we tried to fit everything with one product, so we fit NOTHING WELL]mounts, it would be hard to say where your timing ended up.
Hmm, that's why I was asking. The smaller dwell angle won't keep it from running, just affect performance. I have -0- experience with the Crane kit but if it's a one size fits all type thing that replaces your points , yeah your timing could be off like 60 degrees and it might catch, gasp, and die when you try to start it.