top of engine not getting oil - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2005, 06:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 29730
top of engine not getting oil

Hey guys. not sure what I have going on with my engine. the top of my engine (head, lifters etc. is not getting oil to it. I took the oil fill cap off and looked down inside and it looks dry as a bone. Never had this problem before. Any ideas? my oil preasure is about 50-60lbs at fast idle where it should be. could this be an oil pump issue? Oh ya, I have a 74 fj40 with the streight 6. Kinda new to the cruiser world but I think its a 22R. sorry if this is not accurate.

Last edited by wadentrisha; 02-01-2005 at 07:15 AM.
wadentrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 06:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Desert Rat

Member # 27432
Well since you didn't bother to post up in the newbie section what it is you drive, it's kinda hard to say.

Originally Posted by lc tpi
...if I have to buy them from Trail Gear I guess I dont need them.

65SWB45, 64LWB45, 68FJ40, 72VJ40, 76K5, 73Sub454, 97Sub5.7, 2002 Trailblazer

tlca #1086
member: Trail Crew-L.A. TLCA, Elwood Chapter, TLCA
65SWB45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2005, 06:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 13912
If you recently did any head work, and it's an f-series toyota motor, it's likely that you have the head gasket on backwards. If you have oil pressure, it's probably not the pump
Old 02-01-2005, 07:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 29730
Hey thanks alot. I will look into that. I changed the oil when I got it and heard a vaccum sipping sound when I drained the oil coming from somewhere on the top or side of the engine. I guess that was the head gasket leaking. again, thanks a million!
Old 02-01-2005, 07:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 13912
Uhhh...no, that's not right. You would not hear a head gasket leaking oil when draining.

Did you or did you not pull the cylinder head off for repairs at some point?
Old 02-01-2005, 07:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 6863
I bet money it had a head gasket replaced at some time and they stuck a older F headgasket in there. older ones dont have the passage for the updated head oiling.

the other option is the cam journal oiling hole location. differs between early F and late F motors and 2F motors...
Old 02-01-2005, 08:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 1320
Quote:
I bet money it had a head gasket replaced at some time and they stuck a older F headgasket in there. older ones dont have the passage for the updated head oiling.
I had this happen to me when I had my 2F rebuilt years ago. The shop that did the rebuild used an F series headgasket. The F gasket blocked the oil journal to the top end. I put about 2000 miles on the engine without realizing the problem. It wasn't any noisier than usual. It finally siezed a valve and punched a hole in one of the cylinders when I was doing 70 on the freeway about 200mi from home.
TLCA #4695
'75 FJ40
'97 FZJ80
Jack's Dad.
Shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 09:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 29
Everyone is wrong here. I had this EXACT same problem happen to me when I tore my 2F apart YEARS ago. There is an oiling rod that holds the valves. This rod is on top of the head, and supplies the head with oil. You have one of 2 problems here. That rod is either clogged (Very easy to happen), or it is cracked. I had both issues on mine.

As for it being a pump, Chances are NO. An oil pump is the most lubricated part of the engine. Taht rarely goes out. As for the head gasket... Well are you getting oil into your water? Chances are if the shop put the wrong head gasket on there, you are getting oil escaping somewhere, and it is probably going into one of your water jackets, and back into your water. I got money of the oiling rod on top of the motor.

Dima
Old 02-01-2005, 09:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 29730
yes he did a new head gasket right before I bought it. that is the first thing I am going to try. I ordered a new one from Dan at American Toyota. he said there are 2 different gaskets for the same year of cruiser. They started using a different gasket and oiling system half way through 1974. I had to give him my production date down to the month and day to get the right one ordered. Dan really knew his stuff. I would recommend him if you need parts. (1-800-432-6668 ext #8). He honors a 25% TLCA discount! really nice guy. anyway thanks all for your help. I'll let you know how the gasket goes. you guys really know your stuff. I wish I did.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 41253
When I rebuilt my '74 FJ-40 10 years ago I put the head gasket on the wrong way. 600 miles after the rebuild, I couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting any oil to my head. Well, I pulled the head off and sure enough, the gasket was on the wrong way blocking off the oil path to the head. Put in a new gasket and haven't had a problem since. I did not have oil in my water as others have posted indicating a misplaced head gasket.
PVCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 09:25 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatty
Everyone is wrong here

For a teacher you're pretty closed mined. The headgasket scenario is more likely the issue. there is a split in the year when the gasket changed. and only thing different is the addition of a copper edged hole for the new oiling desgin, which doesnt have a tube. If you put the earlier gasket in a later engine, no oil gets to the head. No other leaks will be present, just that the gasket blocks the internal passage from the block to the head. Very easy to make the mistake since some gasket companies dont even list a different gasket for the later( 9/'73-12/'74) F motors.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserbrett
For a teacher you're pretty closed mined. The headgasket scenario is more likely the issue. there is a split in the year when the gasket changed. and only thing different is the addition of a copper edged hole for the new oiling desgin, which doesnt have a tube. If you put the earlier gasket in a later engine, no oil gets to the head. No other leaks will be present, just that the gasket blocks the internal passage from the block to the head. Very easy to make the mistake since some gasket companies dont even list a different gasket for the later( 9/'73-12/'74) F motors.

Well I am never wrong. being a teacher taught me that. hahahahahaha I still say it is the oiling rod, but I guess it could alsobe a head gasket. I just can't fathom the idea of putting on a wrong head gasket...

Dima
Old 02-01-2005, 10:12 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 12349
If anyone would bother to search, I have pix somewhere on here of this ,and it does not have to be the wrong head gasket, if the correct one is installed wrong (like the one I posted pix of) it will block the passage, now this is to the oiling system on the late F and 2F engines.....
Butch
[URL=http://www.lslc.org/]Lone Star Land Cruisers[/URL]
[URL=http://www.khyi.com/]Support Texas Music[/URL]
texican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 02:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 13912
Quote:
Originally Posted by texican
If anyone would bother to search, I have pix somewhere on here of this ,and it does not have to be the wrong head gasket, if the correct one is installed wrong (like the one I posted pix of) it will block the passage, now this is to the oiling system on the late F and 2F engines.....
Butch
Yep.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:31 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 34756
Hmmm. American Toyota in Albuquerque honors the 25% TLCA discount. Dave, ext.8. Gotta write that....Just a sec. I'll have Mike give you a topic:

[Mike Myers]
New Mexico is neither new nor Mexico. Discuss.
[/Mike Myers]

There. All saved and written down in case I wheel there someday.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:19 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 770
I had this issue in my f-135 and it was the brass tube that feeds the rocker shaft had come in contact with a pushrod, wearing a hole in it.
Pulled the side cover and valve cover, replaced the line, all was fine.

That is with the crappy early oiling setup, so not sure if this helps.