Lc Front Detroit? Yes/no - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2005, 04:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 34369
LC Front Detroit? Yes/no

after the toyota jambo im ready for the next round of upgrades on my 40.. after talking to bobby long (nice man) i bought a set of his 30-spline longs and inners..
dont have a locker up front and need to know if a detroit locker would be the best choice BASED ON ACTUAL EXPERIANCE not hearsay.. aussie locker would be probley second consideration. i dont want to mess with an ARB.. this is a trail rig,welded rear and will be linked front and rear before the end of the year... im pretty easy on the throttle and am running 36" tsl's. got hydro assist to install now so steering wont be a problem.. just looking for someone whos done it. thanks in advance

chris

Q: How do you find God to avoid Hell?
A: Through his son, Jesus Christ.

Q: What does this mean to me?
A: If you are living your life without accepting Jesus Christ as your personal savior, you are on the road to Hell.[/QUOTE][/COLOR]

Last edited by DHONDAGOD; 04-25-2005 at 04:13 PM.
DHONDAGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Moderating Midget

Member # 1154
Send a message via AIM to wngrog
Chris, nice meeting you by the way. The Detraoit is a great unit when you have a weak carrier. I think the Aussie locker or any other "lunchbox" locker will do you just fine as the Cruiser carrier is so strong.

Save your pennies and do the Aussie.
www.cottonlandcruisers.com
www.rockmidgetphotography.com

USAF Veteran 1988-1998 GOD Bless America
wngrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2005, 04:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 5286
Send a message via Yahoo to Jason M
Save the pennies for the links.. Go aussie

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RECENT ORDER FROM OUR SEX TOYS WEBSITE.

YOU'VE REQUESTED THE LARGE RED VIBRATOR AS FEATURED ON OUR WALL DISPLAY.

PLEASE SELECT ANOTHER ITEM.

THAT'S OUR FIRE EXTINGUISHER
Jason M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 34900
With the correct shimming up front with the Aussie/lockright, I think you would be equally as pleased with a detroit. I run a detroit in the rear and a lockright in the front. When I put the lockright in I installed the thickest shims the Toyota dealership had. This keeps everything nice and tight. I am pleased with this set up so far.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 45843
aussie
weak-link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 19406
I have a 40 with front and rear detroits and like it. I broke the locker last year due to a heavy foot and a large tree, but otherwise have had no problems at all. I like knowing it is as locked as I can get it once I lock the hubs. I abuse the sht out of that 40 and thus far very few problems. I have no experience with the ausee locker so I can't say if it would be better.
Mine has held up well with 37's and the birfield eliminator. All abused from a tpi 350. The birfiels elim kit...now that is another story...not good.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 34369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goebeler
The birfiels elim kit...now that is another story...not good.

bobby long was out at the hammers this past weekend with his axle testing (destructive) machine. he had a birfield eliminator axle there that he broke for us. (amongst other things) after talking to him and his wife that afternoon i bought his 30-spline longs and inners. the only thing that was stronger than those was a 35-spline dana 60 outer shaft that broke at like 11500 ft lbs of torque. (going on memory here, he showed it on video for us) the stock dana 60 outer broke alot earlier than the 30-spline long did. i dont like buying things twice so id rather spend some money up front and build my axle once and not worry about it. detroits have a rep as being brutally strong so thats why im leaning toward that. thanks for the input btw. i appreciate it..

chris

A: If you are living your life without accepting Jesus Christ as your personal savior, you are on the road to Hell.[/QUOTE][/COLOR]
Old 04-26-2005, 09:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 5286
Send a message via Yahoo to Jason M
Get a 60

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RECENT ORDER FROM OUR SEX TOYS WEBSITE.

YOU'VE REQUESTED THE LARGE RED VIBRATOR AS FEATURED ON OUR WALL DISPLAY.

PLEASE SELECT ANOTHER ITEM.

THAT'S OUR FIRE EXTINGUISHER
Jason M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 20614
Send a message via MSN to FJBen
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHONDAGOD
bobby long was out at the hammers this past weekend with his axle testing (destructive) machine. he had a birfield eliminator axle there that he broke for us. (amongst other things) after talking to him and his wife that afternoon i bought his 30-spline longs and inners. the only thing that was stronger than those was a 35-spline dana 60 outer shaft that broke at like 11500 ft lbs of torque. (going on memory here, he showed it on video for us) the stock dana 60 outer broke alot earlier than the 30-spline long did. i dont like buying things twice so id rather spend some money up front and build my axle once and not worry about it. detroits have a rep as being brutally strong so thats why im leaning toward that. thanks for the input btw. i appreciate it..

chris
sent ya a PM!
Old 04-26-2005, 12:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 13666
I have a full Detroit in my 60 I like it its alot smoother than the E/Z or Lock rite I've had before .... but money talks the other worked great for years for less

[URL="http://www.texas4x4.org/gallery/new-60"]85FJ60[/URL] SOLD

[URL="http://www.texas4x4.org/gallery/82-BJ42"]82BJ42[/URL] 3B,H55, Fj60 p/s.... And a boat load of parts in the garage

[b]GIT-R-DONE!!!! [/b]

low riders want SWITCHES... 4 wheelers want SHIFTERS
kling-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 03:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 34369
got a detroit coming thanks to fjben

thanks guys...

chris

Old 05-06-2005, 05:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Newbie Forever

Member # 13596
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHONDAGOD
got a detroit coming thanks to fjben

thanks guys...

chris

IT'S EASY TA GET ALL THE ANSWERS & PARTS QUICK WHEN YOU'RE A BIG,MEAN,UGLY MONKEY
72 FJ-40 350 sbc sm420 4wdb SOA F&R arb's OBA ORION!!! b.longs 37 MTR's on TR b.locks TLCA #13084 CA4WDC #7324

4x4Him.com
Tomsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 11:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 34369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsryd
IT'S EASY TA GET ALL THE ANSWERS & PARTS QUICK WHEN YOU'RE A BIG,MEAN,UGLY MONKEY

you are not a nice man....

forgive me.. i had too!

chris

Old 05-07-2005, 11:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 5899
Send a message via AIM to Josh83
For those interested in Aussies I am running my second one right now(first one was in the front of a TJ and was great). I'm running it in the back of my 97 80 with 36" TSL's and after about 750 miles(its a dedicated trail rig, so the miles are going on slowly) it has been absolutely flawless. On the street, it is invisable. It clicks in parking lots, but it doesn't bind up and cause loud bangs and pops. It is MUCH better than the detroit I ran in my old 4Runner. I think part of the reason it is so great is the auto tranny, but like I said, it is invisable on the street, so it couldn't be that much different with a manual. For those curious about dropping it in the non-clip full floating axle found in most FZJ's, it went right in like butta. Great product and great price(not paid endorsement, just happy customer).

"Tim McGraw is my cousin. Everyone says we look alike, only i am the uglier more out of shape version of him with creepy eyes. He never calls. He beat me up once at a family reunion when i was 8. Then he married Faith. Goddam prick."
Josh83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 08:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 19406
""""""""""""""bobby long was out at the hammers this past weekend with his axle testing (destructive) machine. he had a birfield eliminator axle there that he broke for us. (amongst other things) after talking to him and his wife that afternoon i bought his 30-spline longs and inners. the only thing that was stronger than those was a 35-spline dana 60 outer shaft that broke at like 11500 ft lbs of torque. (going on memory here, he showed it on video for us) the stock dana 60 outer broke alot earlier than the 30-spline long did. i dont like buying things twice so id rather spend some money up front and build my axle once and not worry about it. detroits have a rep as being brutally strong so thats why im leaning toward that. thanks for the input btw. i appreciate it..

chris""""""""""""""""""

Who has Bobby Long's contact info?
Might be worth the conversation with him. Either that or it is 60 or rockcrusher time for the front. tired of being being afraid to hammer the crap out of my fj front axle..
Old 05-08-2005, 08:46 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 34756
http://www.toyotasuperaxles.com/

Once I finish with my tow rigs, I'll be splurging for the chromo Longs. Bad@$$ product that will allow me to keep my FJ frt axle for anything I intend to do (trail rig).